[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help me with my vacation

Perchoutofwater

Looking for a spring break vacation. This is going to be a family vacation. We are taking the kids, the grandparents, and my brother's family and their kids. Basically 6 adults and 4 children. We want something that is kid friendly, but not necessarily centered around kids. I want to go somewhere I haven't been before, so that rules out most of Mexico, Jamaica, the Virgin Islands, and the Caymans. The wife wants a tropical type location. We want it to be all inclusive. Our budget including airfare is between $10,000 and $20,000, but I'd like to keep it closer to 10 than 20. I've thought of cruises, and am still considering it, particularly a cruise to Belize and Honduras, but some of the group might prefer a destination. The kids range between 3 and 12. We do not want to do anything Disney related. I welcome any suggestions.

If you take a cruise-try leaving from Fort Lauderdale. Fantastic side trips there around the various waterways. One way is by using the water taxi-on and off all day for $5-$10. You'll get to see the mansions and other places where the $$$$ people live(eg. Hizingas(sp?) etc.There is a lot for kids(and adults to do. We cruised from Ft. Lauderdale and back to the Panama Canal. Many cruises leave from that port. Enjoy!!

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but my brother has a 3 year old and 5 year old, and I'm not sure he wants to spend that much time on a plane with them.

Did this last year with 2 5-year olds and 2 3-year olds. Just pack a bag with snacks for them and then make sure each has a DS or Leapster and they will be fine... or a portable DVD player in case none of the in flight entertainment options are good.

My kids keep asking me to take them back.

We didn't go all inclusive, but did rent a place that included a kitchen. First day there, costco run to stock up kitchen, and we ended up doing most meals there. all breakfasts in room, packed lunches for whatever excursions we wanted to do (we were in Oahu, so this included Pearl harbor, Dole Plantation, North Shore, Waikiki and lots of beach time), and made dinner most nights, though, as we were there with another family, we arranged that we watched their kids one night and they watched ours another so each couple could have a nice dinner out.

Short that, I think it is Sandals that is the kid friendly all inclusives (can someone verify), I'd just search their site for options to find and price out a few suitable options then figure out airfare to those destinations to see which best fits the budget.

Yeah, if anything Perch, don't pull an Obama and put your vacation money in to some other pockets besides the US! :wacko:

I feel that foreign aid is very important. I'd just prefer to do it personally than have the government do it.

Looking for a spring break vacation. This is going to be a family vacation. We are taking the kids, the grandparents, and my brother's family and their kids. Basically 6 adults and 4 children. We want something that is kid friendly, but not necessarily centered around kids. I want to go somewhere I haven't been before, so that rules out most of Mexico, Jamaica, the Virgin Islands, and the Caymans. The wife wants a tropical type location. We want it to be all inclusive. Our budget including airfare is between $10,000 and $20,000, but I'd like to keep it closer to 10 than 20. I've thought of cruises, and am still considering it, particularly a cruise to Belize and Honduras, but some of the group might prefer a destination. The kids range between 3 and 12. We do not want to do anything Disney related. I welcome any suggestions.

Did a cruise last summer to Cozumel, Cayman, Roatan, and Belize. By far Roatan was the best and most beautiful. Would love to go back for a week long stay. Belize seemed dirty and not very nice, but we didn't leave the shops at the port there.

Short that, I think it is Sandals that is the kid friendly all inclusives (can someone verify), I'd just search their site for options to find and price out a few suitable options then figure out airfare to those destinations to see which best fits the budget.

I believe its Beaches which is the kid friendly all inclusive. Sandals is adults only.

Looks like they have resorts in Jamaica (which you ruled out) and Turks and Caicos.

Edited by myhousekey

[

quote name=geeteebee' date='2/10/11 10:23am' post='3383216]

HOw about the Beaches Roesrt on Turks & Caicos. Either that or Atlantis in the Bahamas.

We have been looking into both of these and exactly what I was going to recommend.

Puerto Rico, with that budget you would have a killer time. Some of the best beaches in the world(and I have been to many) good people and food. Mostly english speaking etc. Other than that look into the Domincan Republic. A very well traveled friend of ours went last year and still is talking it up.

Puerto Rico, with that budget you would have a killer time. Some of the best beaches in the world(and I have been to many) good people and food. Mostly english speaking etc. Other than that look into the Domincan Republic. A very well traveled friend of ours went last year and still is talking it up.

That would be a good one too. Went to Puerto Rico years ago and it was great.

Go to the freaking Cambridge Beaches resort in Bermuda!!!!!

When is your spring break, it might not work well if it is in March or early April, rains a lot over there at that time of year.

Second preference, Sandals in St. Lucia.

Dominican Republic is a waste. Very little real siteseeing and the resorts themselves are nothing special. Barbados is the place to go. Very safe, very pretty.

I love cruises and they have ports at Galveston and New Orleans. Being able to drive to port makes cruises actually pretty cheap. Plus the kids are on a boat with parents so there is only so far they can go (but the ships are huge so they can run around and hit up arcades if they want). All your food and lodging is squared away so the only real damage you'd have is at the bar and excursions. And you could have a dinner table together so everyone can do what they want during the day but still make it to dinner together most nights. Just my 2 cents, but to be honest I enjoyed the Western Carribean ports (St. Thomas and St. Marten) more than the Eastern ones. Did my last cruise on Princess cruises and found it to be a good value and maybe a tad more upscale than the Carnival ones. Heard good things about the Royal Carribbean ships but they are a little more strict as well. cruisecritic dot com has some forums with unreal amount of info if you want to really research ships, ports, and overall experiences. Have fun (I just had a kid so the chances of me seeing a vacation for the next 18 months is slim :wacko:).

Mayhaps you forgo a beach type vacation and do the 6 National Parks train ride in the west. It's like 10 days long.

For some reason this reminded me of a spring break trip I took my Junior year of HS (with my family, much to my chagrin at the time.) We went to Banf Canada and stayed at Lake Louise. It was freaking beautiful, awesome skiing, a lot of site seeing to do, etc... It had something for everyone to enjoy and the food was INCREDIBLE!!! If you don't mind roving bands of Japanese tourists and flash bulbs going off doesn't send you into seizures, I would HIGHLY recommend considering this.

Another vote for Puerto Rico. You should also look at Aruba. Also Panama is supposed to be very nice.

budget for a vacation is 10-20 grand? :wacko: no recession here . . .