[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The country is broke, state and local govts broke

Brentastic

:wacko:

Or post the link please.....

:tup::lol:

Heard it on the radio and wrote it down. Then went back and listened to the podcast after your post to answer your question on where the data came from. I am not sure but maybe Google what I wrote and you can find the site. I am 100% sure the data is correct I posted. I am not going to go and try the exact spot where the guy I listened to got it - would you be OK with the link of the podcast?

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about businesses that donate to political parties I don't agree with? How will I avoid them spending shareholder (my) money on that? And before you say "don't invest in them", how is one supposed to avoid it when one's holdings are in mutual funds?

I read a lot of your posts and I assume from your posts that you are a smart person - if you think that you buying mutual funds and those funds putting money into a company who may support a certain political party is even close to the same thing as being forced to pay union dues and having some of those dues go towards political campaigns then my assumptions were way way off.

That is a cop out. You could changes funds pretty easily, if you wanted too. There is a big difference and you know it. It is much easier to change funds or investment vehicles all together, than you can professions.

Oh. OK. I thought it was easy to change jobs by the amount of times I hear "if you don't like it, go work somewhere else". I think that one showed up earlier in this thread.

We've spent 3 trillion in Iraqi welfare during the Bush administration. What is Wisconsin's current budget deficit again? I'd like to make sure that every US teacher has bargaining rights before we give every Iraqi an X-box. Crap, I guess that is too late. Dang, time to tea bag and pretend we really care about spending now, this time it's serious.

If teachers were paid more, wouldn't you find better and more qualified teachers? At the same time, shouldn't a School District be allowed to hire and fire (reasonably) in order to keep integrity and the best most qualified faculty?

It somewhat amazes me that teachers are paid so little and that education budgets always give just enough to get by. It is almost shameful.

Funny thing is, having a baby kind of turns you into one. All I wanna do is eat, crap, sleep and cry. :lol:

:wacko::tup:

Heard it on the radio and wrote it down. Then went back and listened to the podcast after your post to answer your question on where the data came from. I am not sure but maybe Google what I wrote and you can find the site. I am 100% sure the data is correct I posted. I am not going to go and try the exact spot where the guy I listened to got it - would you be OK with the link of the podcast?

Only if they give the reasoning/math on how they came up w/ close to 50% of salary for fringe benefits.

We've spent 3 trillion in Iraqi welfare during the Bush administration. What is Wisconsin's current budget deficit again? I'd like to make sure that every US teacher has bargaining rights before we give every Iraqi an X-box. Crap, I guess that is too late. Dang, time to tea bag and pretend we really care about spending now, this time it's serious.

Sorry Bushy...Looks like you are using a little fuzzy math....From WIKI...

As of February 2010, around $704 billion has been spent based on estimates of current expenditure rates,[1] which range from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) estimate of $2 billion per week to $12 billion a month, an estimate by economist Joseph Stiglitz.

According to a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report published in October 2007, the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could cost taxpayers a total of $2.4 trillion dollars by 2017 when counting the huge interest costs because combat is being financed with borrowed money. The CBO estimated that of the $2.4 trillion long-term price tag for the war, about $1.9 trillion of that would be spent on Iraq, or $6,300 per U.S. citizen.[9][10]

It seems that you are way off. But we seem to expect that by now.

Sorry Bushy...Looks like you are using a little fuzzy math....From WIKI...

As of February 2010, around $704 billion has been spent based on estimates of current expenditure rates,[1] which range from the Congressional Research Service (CRS) estimate of $2 billion per week to $12 billion a month, an estimate by economist Joseph Stiglitz.

According to a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) report published in October 2007, the U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan could cost taxpayers a total of $2.4 trillion dollars by 2017 when counting the huge interest costs because combat is being financed with borrowed money. The CBO estimated that of the $2.4 trillion long-term price tag for the war, about $1.9 trillion of that would be spent on Iraq, or $6,300 per U.S. citizen.[9][10]

It seems that you are way off. But we seem to expect that by now.

ok, so he was wrong and instead of spending $3 trillion on Iraq we are only going to end up spending about $2 trillion on it. That makes me feel much better.

If teachers were paid more, wouldn't you find better and more qualified teachers? At the same time, shouldn't a School District be allowed to hire and fire (reasonably) in order to keep integrity and the best most qualified faculty?

It somewhat amazes me that teachers are paid so little and that education budgets always give just enough to get by. It is almost shameful.

$17,000 per student per year in NYS. Yep, the school budget in NY just barely allows them to get by...... Truly shameful.....

ok, so he was wrong and instead of spending $3 trillion on Iraq we are only going to end up spending about $2 trillion on it. That makes me feel much better.

For a teacher you really come off as a dumb ass. Bushy said 3 trillion during Bush and I pointed out that it will be 2 trillion by 2017 and that is your response? You are really dense. Please try and keep up.

I guess conservatives have to take police off their "heroes beyond criticism list" since Wisconsin police (I have no idea if it's Wisconsin State Police or Madison PD) have joined with the protesters.

It appears they have the good sense to realize that if ONE public union is broken, the rest will go down in short order.

A couple of points worth making:

In order to not pay public workers their worth, management negotiated big pensions in the hopes of kicking the can so far down the road, they'd be long gone by the time the chickens came home to roost.

Public workers with degrees earn far less than their private counterparts in almost all states, a result of them calculating that they wanted a nice retirement instead of immediate gratification. The opposite is true for workers without degrees - they are typically paid more than their private counterparts in private business.

As a proportion, far more public employees have degrees than in the private sector.

The pay at the top end of public employment is ludicrously low. For example a school superintendent overseeing an entire school district - every aspect of it - gets somewhere between $100k and $150k on average. A similar position in the private sector would earn far more and get bonuses too.

Collective bargaining means all union members receive the benefits of union membership. It also means management only have one entity to deal with. It's actually an efficient system.

this graph basically reveals Walker to be absolutely full of sh|t

The graph shows "unfunded" liabilities. All the graph shows is WI has been funding it's pension liabilities, and health care. Good for them. That doesn't mean that each and every year that there are not additional costs that have to be funded, and that in the current economic climate they are becoming more and more difficult to fund. I guess liberals like you would rather them wait until they can no longer fund theses than do the fiscally responsible thing, and make sure they can continue to fund them. Weigie, you are smarter than this. You should know that graph is useless. Show me a graph that shows the annual burden of these pensions not just the unfunded part, and then you might have a point. What you've posted is glass and mirrors, and what is sad, is I think you are smart enough to know it. Your smoking gun is nothing more than a cap gun to anyone that looks close enough at it.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I, for one, am shocked to find out public workers make more than someone working at McDonalds. People in my industry go from public to private instead of vice versa, because the pay is considerably higher in the private industry.

this graph basically reveals Walker to be absolutely full of sh|t

I'm going with this graph.

I usually dont get involved in these threads but I thought this graph was relevant

I, for one, am shocked to find out public workers make more than someone working at McDonalds. People in my industry go from public to private instead of vice versa, because the pay is considerably higher in the private industry.

I didn't know pizza delivery was an actual job you could get in the public sector.

Edited by tosberg34