[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gotta vent

Kid Cid

Wait...so bikers don't like the paths because of the danger and unpredictability of the slower pedestrians/dogs....but they in turn are not a distraction to people operating 40-50 mph vehicles who have to slow down on our roadways? Got it.

To be honest, I don't have a dog in this fight...I just find your logic flawed. The only beef I have is with the uber-ghey outfits you guys wear, apparently at your own will. I'd rather be hit by a car, or bitten by a dog I'd just run over.

It's flawed because it's inconvenient to your baseless opinion. Like I mentioned in my first post. Chavez and I have a perspective you don't. We're cyclists and we're motorists. You're just one of the two.

What is consistent in both cases, cars travel much faster than bikes and bikes travel much faster than pedestrians. But it doesn't end there.

A cyclist on a road is going to head in the exact direction of traffic, because that's what roads are for. So, as a motorist, you see a bike coming up, you slow down a bit, and carefully move past. The entire time you can do so with the assumption that dude understands that he's on the road and that some stupid and sudden move right in front of you could kill him. So, the odds of that happening are extremely small.

This is simply not the case on a path. The people and dogs on that path are not of the same mindset of a cyclist on a road. They're not checking over their shoulder from time to time.

So, in other words, cyclists are always on someone else's turf. On the road, they're on the motorists turf. On the path, they're on the pedestrian's turf. And motorists are just a bit more predictable than pedestrians, so it makes more sense to go there.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, bikers don't like to take bike paths because other users might slow them down and/or might not adequately observe the rules of the road. and bikers fail to see any irony there.

it all just goes back to what I said about them expecting to have it both ways.

If that's what you think we're saying, you're not reading what we're saying. I'll just leave it at that rather than explain myself again.

Brent, I think the vast majority of Huddler's like you, myself included. We all know some people here can have some pretty strong opinions, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. :wacko: But as a result of those differences, we all can take things a little too personally at times. Sometimes guys do tend to pile on & I agree, it's not always deserved. I don't think anyone should have to try to be someone else or play the part to fit in here. This place has always been about different personalities, cultures & lifestyles mingling with a simple common ground (football) and that's part of what makes it so great.

As for the other subject... I am not here to pile on. If you think me someone who follows a buddy system, or whatever, then you have me mistaken. And just so my motives are clear, there is nothing that I've said to you or anyone here that I haven't already said to LordOpie. If you want to compare PM's with each other or post them I have no problems with that whatsoever. As I told him privately initially, I'd never had a problem with him & thought him an alright guy as well. I also told him that I didn't agree with the way some Huddler's had handled whatever their issue was with him. But that is between him & whoever else it is and I want no part of it. As for this issue, If I am mistaken then I will absolutely be the first to admit it. In fact I would love to be wrong and it be all a big misunderstanding, but I have yet to see anything that would sway opinion.

I have no problem with you and obviously you've seen enough posts to derive your own conclusions on Opie. I purposely didn't mention who has sent me pms because that's private and I don't think it would do anyone any good to share anything private with the masses. It's just that I think most people in the world (huddlers included obviously) are quick to pass judgement without seeing all the facts/evidence. A few loud voices can sway many and I always feel it my duty to stick up for the guy who is down. I've been the recipient of many a pile on - and what I've learned is that the mob mentality is easily established and it can escalate quickly. As much as people like to think of themselves as fair and just, it's usually not the case. Most people don't have the ability to separate from the mob and call it like it really is. Especially on a message board where many posts get skimmed. It's not always the people who speak out initially who are to blame, but the casual reader who gains confidence by numbers.

Don't think I was calling you out because I wasn't. I was more or less pleading with the casual reader to make your own judgements. You obviously feel secure enuogh in your assesment to post about it - and that's fine. I would just caution others who don't know the whole story to reserve judgement on either party.

It's flawed because it's inconvenient to your baseless opinion. Like I mentioned in my first post. Chavez and I have a perspective you don't. We're cyclists and we're motorists. You're just one of the two.

He's also a soul crusher, don't forget that one too.

Let the guberment impose registrations and registration fees for "cyclist" to ride on the road, until then :wacko: BIKE PATH

and riddle me this...why in the 7 he1ls would "cyclist" feel the need to ride on a road that has a speed limit of 50 MPH with NO shoulder (actually about 3 inches of one)?...also why in the 7 hel1s do "cyclist" ride on the left side of the white shoulder line (or stradle it) instead of riding on the shoulder when there is a shoulder?

ANSWER: Cause they think they are the only thing that matters.

I have no problem with you and obviously you've seen enough posts to derive your own conclusions on Opie. I purposely didn't mention who has sent me pms because that's private and I don't think it would do anyone any good to share anything private with the masses. It's just that I think most people in the world (huddlers included obviously) are quick to pass judgement without seeing all the facts/evidence. A few loud voices can sway many and I always feel it my duty to stick up for the guy who is down. I've been the recipient of many a pile on - and what I've learned is that the mob mentality is easily established and it can escalate quickly. As much as people like to think of themselves as fair and just, it's usually not the case. Most people don't have the ability to separate from the mob and call it like it really is. Especially on a message board where many posts get skimmed. It's not always the people who speak out initially who are to blame, but the casual reader who gains confidence by numbers.

Don't think I was calling you out because I wasn't. I was more or less pleading with the casual reader to make your own judgements. You obviously feel secure enuogh in your assesment to post about it - and that's fine. I would just caution others who don't know the whole story to reserve judgement on either party.

With all due respect, I think you're short-changing the ability of all of us to see what was going on and decide for ourselves that Opie was really being an a-hole. I don't think this is a mob-mentality at work here. This is a bunch of guys who are all, very rightfully, individually offended at a guy's actions and his BS "apology" afterward. And let's be clear, he actually did not apologize for re-opening that wound here. He completely laughed it off.

I mean, I actually had no idea why everyone was so pissed at Opie, so I made a point of asking what the deal was. Same with another guy in this thread. Then someone explained the situation. Then I found the original thread, and I decided for myself that what he did here was absolutely pathetic. Sure, I poke sticks at friends as well. I bring up sore subjects as well and have never been accused of being the most graceful or friendly guy out there. However, a guy lost a friend, not very long ago, and Opie already crossed the line with that once. And he knows he crossed the line because he fessed up in the other thread. And then he drops that bomb again? Sorry, but that's some effed up and indefensible chight.

Let the guberment impose registrations and registration fees for "cyclist" to ride on the road, until then :wacko: BIKE PATH

and riddle me this...why in the 7 he1ls would "cyclist" feel the need to ride on a road that has a speed limit of 50 MPH with NO shoulder (actually about 3 inches of one)?...also why in the 7 hel1s do "cyclist" ride on the left side of the white shoulder line (or stradle it) instead of riding on the shoulder when there is a shoulder?

ANSWER: Cause they think they are the only thing that matters.

Looks like you've got it all figured out. :tup:

if I got the impression that most cyclists were half as thoughtful, reasonable and conscientious as det and chavez would have us believe, I, and most other people, wouldn't have the slightest problem with them. but I think most of us have seen far too many first hand being oblivious opieholes to put much stock in that characterization.

On the path, it could be as simple as someone just not being aware. Because, again, it's a path. It's not a place for people to be doing anything in excess of 5-10 mph.

Similarly, a 40-50 mph speed limit road is no place for a cyclist to be going 15-20 mph.:wacko:

Sorry swammi, but you are 100% incorrect on this. We don't avoid these paths because we don't want to be inconvenienced, we do so because we don't want to endanger ourselves or others.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. I would think you'd rather risk a scraped knee or tire burn by accidentally hitting a pedestrian than getting rammed with my quarter-panel into a Yield sign at 40 mph :tup:

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

if I got the impression that most cyclists were half as thoughtful, reasonable and conscientious as det and chavez would have us believe, I, and most other people, wouldn't have the slightest problem with them. but I think most of us have seen far too many first hand being oblivious opieholes to put much stock in that characterization.

And if I didn't know that people love to exaggerate issues because vague dissatisfaction isn't nearly as interesting as total outrage, as well as also have personal experience as a motorist in cycling-heavy area to know that it simply is not as bad as you guys make it out to be, nearly as often as you make it seem, then I'd think there was actually an issue worth dealing with here as opposed a bunch of dudes getting their panties in a wad.

Similarly, a 40-50 mph speed limit road is no place for a cyclist to be going 15-20 mph.:wacko:

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. I would think you'd rather risk a scraped knee or tire burn by accidentally hitting a pedestrian than getting rammed with my quarter-panel into a Yield sign at 40 mph :tup:

If by "agree to disagree', you mean to continue ignoring everything but the relative speed differences between the two sets of users of both paths and roads and also claim to have an idea of what is the best place to ride despite making it clear that you've never actually done so, then, sure. We can agree to disagree.

But, again, it has far less to do with the speeds involved and everything to do with the fact that everyone on the road is all heading the same direction. There is no such understanding with paths, at least ones where pedestrians are allowed. And that's fine. I'm not asking for there to be. I'm simply realizing that the lack of said understanding means riding on one at any decent speed is not safe. Sure, perhaps the consequences for me, specifically are not as high, but the chances are so much higher. And that doesn't even get into the fact that I'd rather not crash into some old lady and break her hip.

Edited by detlef

:wacko::tup: Another huddlism is born!

Only if you want it gunned, which may still happen :wacko:

:tup:

Man, I am so wasted right now. I barely remember writing that :rofl:

We're having a dinner party tomorrow night, so my wife brought home a new bottle of paint stripper so I can refinish the dining room table. Fook me.

Anywho, lesson learned, again... don't huff solvents and post :lol: I do that way too much :rofl:

I think one factor is that some here are calling them "bike paths" when in fact they are multi-use paths, if they were for bicycles only, then fine, but adding pedestrians (sometimes two or three wide), dogs, etc. there is now way some one "cycling" can share that path safely. Most here have never cycled and don't understand the why behind it. Not to mention cars pulling out of driveways or subdivisions don't honor the cross walk, in fact they pull through it before even looking for automobile traffic, I have nearly been taken out by this several times. If there is room and it is debris free, I ride to the right of the white line, otherwise I share the road and obey the traffic laws. Until you have ridden a bicycle at speed, i.e. in excess of 15 mph, then you really don't understand. Besides the law states share the road, but cyclists still have the right-of-way here.

opieholes... :tup:

And Brent, something else you might be missing is that lor dopie is the first one to narc anytime someone else throws sand in is hoo-ha. So lordo pie gets bent out of shape then runs to the white shirts. Living in glass houses and all. Plus, there's just something puscatore-ish about the whole narcing thing. :wacko: