[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gotta vent

Kid Cid

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, now that I've read through this topic after it's been hear awhile, I think that I like the bike vs. walker bout over the bike vs. car one. I know of one town where bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalks. They are to be on the roads. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Btw, I live in a town that has a bike trail. If you are just biking for the fun of it, I enjoy the trails. I always see some little critters or deer everytime I get on the trail.

Edited by MikesVikes

Wow after reading all the posts I need a nap!!

Lots of great points on both sides of this discussion. Living in the north country I get to spend the winter riding indoors on a bike trainer so I can 't wait to get outdoors and ride.

To those who suggest we stay on the bike paths...

In the Brainerd area we have a "bike path" called the Paul Bunyan trail that is over 100 miles long. So we should be set for not having to ride on the road. However the trail is not just a bike trail, it is used by roller bladers, joggers, dog walkers, families who have kids on trikes,bikes, rollerblades, jogging strollers, and have the family dog(s) with them. I guess I should be upset with them and tell them to get off the bike path!!! Oh and the "bike path" also goes through several towns and crosses city streets and county roads so even if you stay on the path cars and trucks cross it. Most cars don't stop even though they have a sign that says bike crossing. As a biker even on the bike path you learn to ride defensively. One dog jerking a leash taunt or a small child not paying attention and you have a serious accident in the making. Not to mention the other bikers taking a sunday ride to the ice cream shop riding 3 abreast. Also many bike paths are in poor shape and because of budget cuts are not being repaired.

The bike clothing is a neccessary evil and I usually do where looser clothing over the top of it unless racing but sometimes it is just too warm out ot wear the extra clothing. As stated earlier, those of you who don't like it have never seen a nice looking lady wearing it!! Plus I will add go to any beach and you've seen much worse!!!

Sharing the road with cars sucks and to those who asked why bikers ride to the left of the white line instead of the shoulder; Believe me I would much rather ride on the shoulder for saftey reasons but 1) usually there is a lot of trash on the shoulder that makes it dangerous, blowing a tire is not fun or safe. 2) shoulders are often full of cracks and pot holes that are not repaired as often as the driving surface (this is getting worse in this day of budget cuts) again making them dangerous. 3) In Minnesota the big thing now is rumble strips to let motorists know they are wandering off the road, I dare any of you to ride over those for more than 10 seconds!!

As a triathlete I am always sharing with others... the lake with boaters and jet skiiers, the road with cars, the path with people. It is just part of my life. I just ask you to be nice to those of us you share with. Bottom line there are butt head bikers and butt head drivers. In a crash usually the butt head drive wins!!

Let the guberment impose registrations and registration fees for "cyclist" to ride on the road, until then :wacko: BIKE PATH

Well, I kinda figure that paying taxes on my earnings and registration fees on my car and drivers license kinda entitles me to operate whatever legal vehicle I see fit on the roads I PAY FOR AS MUCH AS YOU DO

and riddle me this...why in the 7 he1ls would "cyclist" feel the need to ride on a road that has a speed limit of 50 MPH with NO shoulder (actually about 3 inches of one)?...also why in the 7 hel1s do "cyclist" ride on the left side of the white shoulder line (or stradle it) instead of riding on the shoulder when there is a shoulder?

ANSWER: Cause they think they are the only thing that matters.

Well, we've been over this REPEATEDLY - if the best way from point A to point B is a road with no shoulder, that's kinda what you've gotta do. And those taking the lane when there's no need to do so are jackasses, though you might want to consider for a moment "why is this guy not riding on the shoulder?" before having road rage about it. It could be he is taking the lane to work his way across for a left turn, the shoulder could be utterly crappy and/or full of glass, or one or two other reasons.

OK, now that I've read through this topic after it's been hear awhile, I think that I like the bike vs. walker bout over the bike vs. car one. I know of one town where bikes aren't allowed on the sidewalks. They are to be on the roads. That doesn't make much sense to me.

I know in many cities in Wisconsin, if you're over 12, by law you MUST ride your bike on the road.

if I got the impression that most cyclists were half as thoughtful, reasonable and conscientious as det and chavez would have us believe, I, and most other people, wouldn't have the slightest problem with them. but I think most of us have seen far too many first hand being oblivious opieholes to put much stock in that characterization.

Well, you could probably replace the word "cyclists" with "drivers" and be completely on base in your statement too.

I think MOST cyclists ARE pretty thoughtful, reasonable, and conscientious. It's called...well I can't remember what the hell it's called.

But say you buy a car of whatever make and model. Suddenly, everywhere you go, you'll notice all these cars like yours, whereas before you didn't. I think it's probably the same with cyclists - when you ride past someone doing what they're supposed to in the bike lane/on the shoulder, not wearing anything notable, it probably doesn't even enter your teeny tiny brain that you just passed someone riding a bike, because there's no reason to even register that it happened.

It's kinda like noticing the trend of people with handicapped plates/Jesus fish being TERRIBLE drivers. Most handicapped/Christian drivers are probably fine, but you start noticing an excessive amount and draw a broad conclusion that probably isn't true.

:wacko: Most of this is quite funny and a major amount of stupidity. come to my world for a week and you will see a lot of attitude changing.

Opie a question to see if I see a small nugget of gold in your useless self. Do you ride your bike to work everyday? and I mean everyday rain, shine cold hot or do you ride your bike to work when the weather is nice.

:wacko: Most of this is quite funny and a major amount of stupidity. come to my world for a week and you will see a lot of attitude changing.

Opie a question to see if I see a small nugget of gold in your useless self. Do you ride your bike to work everyday? and I mean everyday rain, shine cold hot or do you ride your bike to work when the weather is nice.

:tup:Not all the time

:wacko:

Man, I am so wasted right now. I barely remember writing that :lol:

We're having a dinner party tomorrow night, so my wife brought home a new bottle of paint stripper so I can refinish the dining room table. Fook me.

Anywho, lesson learned, again... don't huff solvents and post :tup: I do that way too much :rofl:

Yeah, she was opissed that she had to finish the table. Pocs of wife stripping?

THE BEST BIKE PARODY EVER - THis is everything you all are biitching about

http://www.hulu.com/watch/210889/portlandia-bike-rider

Despite the fact that Portland was just displaced as the biker friendliest city (by Minneapolis...go figure), Portlanders do take their biking seriously:

Luckily, we do have a lot of bike lanes all over so I've never minded being in traffic with bikers. My daily commute is through Forest Park which is a popular place to bike. I could take the freeway home but I tend to just take my time through the park. Bikers aren't slowing me down. Around my house, we have a lot of very hilly roads with lots of curves....very popular roads with bikers on the weekend. Unless they keep me from making it to my tee time on time, they don't bother me at all. I rarely bike but have been on the roads enough to understand the enjoyment.

Despite the fact that Portland was just displaced as the biker friendliest city (by Minneapolis...go figure), Portlanders do take their biking seriously:

Luckily, we do have a lot of bike lanes all over so I've never minded being in traffic with bikers. My daily commute is through Forest Park which is a popular place to bike. I could take the freeway home but I tend to just take my time through the park. Bikers aren't slowing me down. Around my house, we have a lot of very hilly roads with lots of curves....very popular roads with bikers on the weekend. Unless they keep me from making it to my tee time on time, they don't bother me at all. I rarely bike but have been on the roads enough to understand the enjoyment.

Hey, get yer empathy and reasonable attitude outta this perfectly good pissing match. You'll ruin everything.

I ran a biker off the road this morning, but I'm pretty sure he was drunk so that makes it okay. I yelled at him why he wasn't riding in circles in the backyard like the other 4 year olds and then sped off.

I ran a biker off the road this morning, but I'm pretty sure he was drunk so that makes it okay. I yelled at him why he wasn't riding in circles in the backyard like the other 4 year olds and then sped off.

If you get stuck in traffic, that dude will still probably get to work 20 minutes before you do. :wacko:

If you get stuck in traffic, that dude will still probably get to work 20 minutes before you do. :wacko:

Not if I make a quick lane change while he's riding between lanes of traffic.

I knew Minnesota was a crap place, but I didn't think they made 4-year olds work yet. You gawd-danged Canadians. :tup:

Not if I make a quick lane change while he's riding between lanes of traffic.

yet another pet peeve, both for cyclists and motorcycles. If you want to be considered part of those "obeying the road", then wait your turn in line and in traffic. Just because you are smaller and offer more maneuverability doesn't mean you get to move to the front of the line. Would you also do that in the grocery store or any other place where there is a line?

yet another pet peeve, both for cyclists and motorcycles. If you want to be considered part of those "obeying the road", then wait your turn in line and in traffic. Just because you are smaller and offer more maneuverability doesn't mean you get to move to the front of the line. Would you also do that in the grocery store or any other place where there is a line?

I believe there's something with motorcycles with air-cooled engines or something that is the legal basis for allowing them to continue moving through traffic as opposed to making them idle along with everyone else in a traffic jam.

Do you also feel this way about carpool lanes? Because one could certainly argue that there should be a reward for not being, yet another car, on the road.

Honestly, from your fixation on the clothes and being bitter about letting them move past other traffic, your issues seem to be sort of mean-spirited.

I believe there's something with motorcycles with air-cooled engines or something that is the legal basis for allowing them to continue moving through traffic as opposed to making them idle along with everyone else in a traffic jam.

Do you also feel this way about carpool lanes? Because one could certainly argue that there should be a reward for not being, yet another car, on the road.

Honestly, from your fixation on the clothes and being bitter about letting them move past other traffic, your issues seem to be sort of mean-spirited.

Never heard that before.

I almost got a motorcycle on I-75 one day. in traffic, dude next to me saw I needed to get over, blinker on, went to get over and heard some high pitched beeping. Some indignant A-hole on a bike evidently thought that while riding between lanes of traffic he didn't have to look out for turn signals. He had to stop and when I got over he went around shot me a bird and smacked the hood of my car with his hand as he went by. Let me say, If I could have caught up to him, I may have plastered his carcass all up on a bridge abutment.