[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bin Laden - Dead

The Irish Doggy

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspose that its plausible.

But I'm dubious because, among other reasons, I don't think that Panneta et. al. would risk their political careers, particularly when: 1) no one would hold them responsible if OBL was never captured/killed; and 2) they wouldn't be getting all that much credit for the killing. Its that risk/reward thing.

I like the "war room" picture. Looks like someone had just been popped on the screen. Hillary's expression is priceless. I wonder if she had the same reaction when they popped Vince Foster in the noggin.

The latest is that OBL was apparently unarmed. Some are wetting themselves about it. I say "so what?"

+1

EDIT: I have been trying to stay out of this discussion overall because my feelings on it aren't necessarily in line with the majority of people, but I have no sympathy for this guy getting shot armed or not.

In a sense I agree with the sentiment that killing another person is not cause for celebration. It's a somber thing. I don't mean to say I am against the killing, because I am 100% behind it. I am just not "happy" that this is a part of the world we have to make due in.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

OK, I just agreed with everything you just said here. I was just thinking if the Radical Muslims have a legitimate complaint in how we handled this. I don't think they do.

And I completely agree. I would imagine that any reasonable Muslim would be cool with how this went down and the radical ones hate us regardless of what we do, so I say screw 'em.

The latest is that OBL was apparently unarmed. Some are wetting themselves about it.

Unless further information is diviluged, I don't think that a whole lot of people are really going to care about that distinction. You're either cool with the concept of him getting capped or not.

The only way that I see this becoming an issue of any subtsance is if it becomes evident that OBL immediately tried to surrender and that he took no action that could even remotely be construed as an attempt to avoid capture or resist US forces. IMO that would require the release of a video that was taken during the raid itself that demonstrated that..

If that account is true (which frankly I doubt other than a snippet here and there) then it is a cause for great concern!

what you have said is factually correct, but your giving it even an iota of credence is disturbing

Suppose someone had written "Bin Laden was killed by aliens from the planet Xelot who plan to kill all human one by one", would you have responded with "If that account is true (which frankly I doubt other than a snippet here and there) then it is a cause for great concern!"? I doubt it, even though your statement would again be factually correct.

+1

EDIT: I have been trying to stay out of this discussion overall because my feelings on it aren't necessarily in line with the majority of people, but I have no sympathy for this guy getting shot armed or not.

In a sense I agree with the sentiment that killing another person is not cause for celebration. It's a somber thing. I don't mean to say I am against the killing, because I am 100% behind it. I am just not "happy" that this is a part of the world we have to make due in.

The Vatican's response actually was what I was feeling:

Osama bin Laden, as we all know, bore the most serious responsibility for spreading divisions and hatred among populations, causing the deaths of innumerable people, and manipulating religions for this purpose.

In the face of a man’s death, a Christian never rejoices, but reflects on the serious responsibilities of each person before God and before men, and hopes and works so that every event may be the occasion for the further growth of peace and not of hatred.

what you have said is factually correct, but your giving it even an iota of credence is disturbing

Suppose someone had written "Bin Laden was killed by aliens from the planet Xelot who plan to kill all human one by one", would you have responded with "If that account is true (which frankly I doubt other than a snippet here and there) then it is a cause for great concern!"? I doubt it, even though your statement would again be factually correct.

It reads like a work of fiction to me. Comparing the story to one of little green men performing assassinations is stupid, but unsurprising. One is plausible without turning reality as we know it on it's head. The other is not.

Regardless, the story is extremely unlikely to be true, and even if it has some truth to it, the part that I would be greatly concerned about is not Obama's actions.

I have to admit, as little regard as I held for Osama I did find the mob celebration scenes unsettling. The Vatican's view is closer to where we should be as a society.

But I still want photos. :wacko:

Edited by rattsass

It reads like a work of fiction to me. Comparing the story to one of little green men performing assassinations is stupid, but unsurprising. One is plausible without turning reality as we know it on it's head. The other is not.

Regardless, the story is extremely unlikely to be true, and even if it has some truth to it, the part that I would be greatly concerned about is not Obama's actions.

Here is what I don't get from you: Lady.Hawke quoted some anonymous blogger who wrote some ridiculous story. The proper response would be to call her out for posting nonsense, not commenting about how if the story is true that it would be disturbing.

Here is what I don't get from you: Lady.Hawke quoted some anonymous blogger who wrote some ridiculous story. The proper response would be to call her out for posting nonsense, not commenting about how if the story is true that it would be disturbing.

Can I send your sigline to my wife?

Unless further information is diviluged, I don't think that a whole lot of people are really going to care about that distinction. You're either cool with the concept of him getting capped or not.

The only way that I see this becoming an issue of any subtsance is if it becomes evident that OBL immediately tried to surrender and that he took no action that could even remotely be construed as an attempt to avoid capture or resist US forces. IMO that would require the release of a video that was taken during the raid itself that demonstrated that..

I think this whole aspect (armed, unarmed, female human shield, not female human shield and on and on) comes under the heading of Too Much Information. While I appreciate the need to keep the public informed, there is no point in going into these details, especially when that detail was presented wrong in the first place. It would have been better not to try to go into detail so early as the fog of war always takes time to clear. A simple statement that a Navy SEAL team had eliminated OBL would have been sufficient.

All this detail does is detract from the overall fact - after a decade of hunting, OBL was run to earth, just as we had promised.

The latest is that OBL was apparently unarmed. Some are wetting themselves about it. I say "so what?"

100% irrelevent since what is "armed" when dealing with a guy who uses suicide bombers?

As it is, it's incompetence on al-queda to not have had that place rigged top to bottom to detonate if we ever pulled something like this. I'm pretty surprised at how little they actually had in place to keep him safe. Walls and a few AKs. :wacko:

Thanks for my education on what is proper. :wacko: