[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Student peacefully requesting to burn the US flag

SuperBalla

The night Osama Bin Laden was killed someone came on to LSU's campus and cut down the flags at the historical Memorial tower and burned it. Now we have another student holding a peaceful protest by burning the American flag. :wacko:

Benjamin Haas, communication studies graduate student, will burn an American flag tomorrow at noon on the Parade Ground as part of a peaceful protest, according to Cody Wells, Student Government president.

Wells said Haas is exercising his First Amendment right to burn the flag. The burning comes nearly a week after Isaac Eslava was taken into custody after cutting down and burning the American flag flying over the War Memorial and stealing the University flag.

Wells said Haas went through University procedure to host tomorrow's protest, and he also went through the procedure to organize a "peaceful assembly in response to recent flag burnings."

"We're going to respect his First Amendment right to burn our American flag," Wells said.

He added he and others will then "exercise our own First Amendment rights" by holding their own ceremony.

Tomorrow at 1 p.m., Wells is organizing a ceremony to say the pledge of allegiance and sing the national anthem. Wells said he has a trumpet player lined up for the ceremony and he hopes he will have cadets there.

Though Wells is the SG president, he said his assembly is not related to or sponsored by SG, but by him "as an individual."

Edited by SuperBalla

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I get a bunch of my friends to go to this event, but we all wear ski masks and stand with arms folded shaking our heads? I have a lot of old army buddies in town... :wacko:

:tup: I'll pay you.

Perhaps if we didn't give these d-bags attention, they would stop doing stuff like this.

You mean like the Westboro slugs?

I understand what you're saying as mindless POSs like this are often little attention whore punks, but "ignore it and it'll go away" doesn't generally work any better than ignoring spoiled out of control children. In fact often if anything it emboldens them.

This is what makes our country great. And whether you like what is happening or not, these people (other than the idiots who cut down the flag) are doing things in the proper way.

I hope that zealots don't f*ck this up.

This is what makes our country great. And whether you like what is happening or not, these people (other than the idiots who cut down the flag) are doing things in the proper way.

I hope that zealots don't f*ck this up.

It is a slap in the face to those that swore to defend that flag.

What is exactly is he protesting?

It is a slap in the face to those that swore to defend that flag.

^this

I don't see how burning the American flag as a protest says anything other than I hate America and all that it stands for. Sure, he has a right in this country to do it, but to what end?

Cody Wells: Hey Harry, look at this! What's the matter with these flags?

Benjamin Haas: Die flag!

Cody Wells: These flags are defective - they're spontaneously burning! Come over here and look at this!

Harry: Listen, you better run for cover or you're going to spontaneously burn!

Cody Wells:: Huh?

Harry: We don't have defective flags, we have a defective person out there!

Cody Wells:: He hates these flags! Stay away from the flags!

Distasteful, sure. But it's what sets us apart. By allowing this to go on it only makes the concept and symbol that much stronger. It's a big part of what makes this America. It's pretty easy to ignore.

This.

Cody Wells: Hey Harry, look at this! What's the matter with these flags?

Benjamin Haas: Die flag!

Cody Wells: These flags are defective - they're spontaneously burning! Come over here and look at this!

Harry: Listen, you better run for cover or you're going to spontaneously burn!

Cody Wells:: Huh?

Harry: We don't have defective flags, we have a defective person out there!

Cody Wells:: He hates these flags! Stay away from the flags!

Well played sir, well played... :wacko:

Local news

There were roughly 2500 people that showed up to protest the anti-American punk. He was there to protest the arrest and treatment of the anti-American shathead that burned the flag the night Osama was killed, so they are related. I'm going to try and link to some video.

There were bikers there, uniformed soldiers, a veteran with a fire exstinguisher, frats, hundreds. There were three mounted police officers protecting the Shark Vac. The crowd at some points chased him until he was eventually put in a police car and fled to safety. Amazing event, glad I went.

Edited by SuperBalla

He was there to protest the arrest and treatment of the anti-American shathead that burned the flag the night Osama was killed, so they are related. I'm going to try and link to some video.

didn't the dill hole pretty much steal and burn somebody elses flag? How is it that he should not have been arrested?

didn't the dill hole pretty much steal and burn somebody elses flag? How is it that he should not have been arrested?

Yes his friend stole the LSU US flag that flies on campus. He cut it down and burned it. He ran from the cops to New Orleans where he turned himself in. He was charged with arson and theft. The guy today was friend's with the thief arson and wanted to protest his friend's treatment. If they aren't dead, then they haven't been treated harsh enough IMO.

Edited by SuperBalla