[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Chain Burger

Brent

Are 5 Guys and In-n-Out even the same type restaurants? Haven't been to either one but I thought 5 Guys was more of a sit down place.

well....in-n-out usually has a drive-thru, 5 guys usually doesn't. other than that they are the same. order at the counter, they call your number when your order is ready, you can get it for there or to-go, etc.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had all 3, Culvers, In & Out and 5 Guys & I like 5 guys the best.

In N Out is so overrated and not even in the same universe as 5 guys........

Culvers is solid, but still a distant 2nd from 5 guys IMO

5 guys fries are also the best, regular and cajun style

There are plenty of burger joints in the midwest that make their own fries to order . . . In and Out were good, but not to the obsessive fanboy dom that I have heard when people talk about it.

It was Ok , , , but just Ok, I just dont see the GMOZ!!! IN AND OUT IS THE BEST EVER that I have heard from west coasters . . .:wacko:

As far as slapping meat and cheese between two buns it's pretty damn good. But, thats like, just my opinion and stuff.

:wacko: so what you're saying is, it's pretty good, but the fact that other people like it compels you to rate it "very poor".

I also said it was a "let down" Queen of semantics.

I was expecting the best burger in the world compared to the hype . . . very poor is compared to the mythical God-like love for the place.

So to clarify . . just for you . . . it WAS very poor, compared to the reputation it has. Decent in its own right, but by no means as great as people make it out to be, IMO.

Do you feel better now?

I think it all depends on how you first find a burger joint. With no expectations, In-N-Out is outstanding. With 2 hour long lines, nothing could meet that hype since in the end it is just ground beef and a bun. Over in the bay area, I once ate at a "Nation's Giant Hamburgers" and it was really, really good. As long as a place uses fresh ingredients, there is only so much you can do to enhance it.

I think it all depends on how you first find a burger joint. With no expectations, In-N-Out is outstanding. With 2 hour long lines, nothing could meet that hype since in the end it is just ground beef and a bun. Over in the bay area, I once ate at a "Nation's Giant Hamburgers" and it was really, really good. As long as a place uses fresh ingredients, there is only so much you can do to enhance it.

Exactly, it's pretty unreasonable to have fillet mignon expectations when going for a burger and fry meal. But I do love hitting these joints during business travel. Nations in the bay area, iN-n-Out anywhere in Cali, and Whattaburger in the south. I was pleasantly surprised by my first visit to Whattaburger cause I had no expectations at all and hadn't heard about it.

For me....all others pale compared to Burgerville USA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burgerville,_USA

A Portland, OR area chain.

"In 2007, Burgerville was awarded with the "Better Burger" award at the 1st Annual Food Network Awards."

---------------------------------------

My boy and his family down in Oceanside, CA just raved and raved about the In-n-Out...so we went... I was not impressed. But then I'm not impressed with McD or Wendy burgers either. Fast food burgers are pretty much fast food burgers. Something to grab on the run or when one is too lazy to cook at home.

I lived 12 years in Texas, and found What-A-Wait to be about the worst burger ever produced by a chain. I just don't see the love, unless they were sold, shut down, fired everyone and re-opened under new ownership after 1995. :tup:

In-N-Out is about the best fast food hamburger you'll ever get. But that's all it is. I love them, but wouldn't wait an hour, much less 20 minutes in line for one. :lol: Out here in LA there's a hot dog joint named Pink's which has a really big tourist hype going for it. Haven't eaten there in years, since the lines are always 30 minutes +. There's no fast food worth that. :wacko:

I am enjoying my first 5 Guys bacon cheese burger and fries cajun style, and I got to say this is the best chain burger I have ever eaten. Very impressed, and I will definately be going back. Now It could be one of the costliest burgers Ive ever had, I got pulled over driving 83 in a 60 on the way back to the office to eat it. Maybe I will get out of the ticket though.

Honestly, I'll take a Hardees thick burger over either 5 guys or In and out. Never got the hype on either place.

Not that the thickburger is such a great burger, but it's reliable and the fries aren't soggy.

Fortunately, there's enough good indy burger joints around that I can always go to one of them if I want a burger.

Jules: Big Kahuna Burger. That’s that Hawaiian burger joint. I hear they got some tasty burgers. I ain’t never had one myself. How are they?

Brett: They’re good.

Jules: Mind if I try one of yours? This is yours here, right?

Jules: Mmm-mmmm. That is a tasty burger. Vincent, ever have a Big Kahuna Burger?

Jules: Wanna bite? They’re real tasty.

Vincent: Ain’t hungry.

Jules: Well, if you like burgers give ‘em a try sometime. I can’t usually get ‘em myself because my girlfriend’s a vegitarian which pretty much makes me a vegitarian. But I do love the taste of a good burger. Mm-mm-mm. You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in France?

Brett: No.

Jules: Tell ‘em, Vincent.

Vincent: A Royale with cheese.

Jules: A Royale with cheese! You know why they call it that?

Brett: Because of the metric system?

Jules: Check out the big brain on Brett! You’re a smart m——-f———. That’s right. The metric system. What’s in this?

Brett: Sprite.

Jules: Sprite, good. You mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down?

Brett: Go right ahead.

Jules: Ah, hit the spot.

Honestly, I'll take a Hardees thick burger over either 5 guys or In and out. Never got the hype on either place.

Not that the thickburger is such a great burger, but it's reliable and the fries aren't soggy.

Fortunately, there's enough good indy burger joints around that I can always go to one of them if I want a burger.

why would you pay someone to make you a burger when they are so easy to do yourself? Its like grilling a steak

:wacko:

Agree, all my burgers are pretty much from home, almost never eat fast food any more (Fuddruckers was great back when but it's been I bet at least 12 yrs since I've been to one) and have never tried 5 guys but reliable sources tell me they're great...

Of the cheaper 'classic' places (eg McD's, BK, Wendys etc) Wendys has traditionally had the best burgers easily, but I hear great things about the Hardees heart attack burgers. I just always got lousy service there and they stopped the roast beast sandwiches so f em.

In days gone by if I just wanted convenient n cheap I have reduced myself to the nasty McD dollar burger :wacko: but happily that's been years as well.

:wacko:

we have no whataburger's or 5 guys or in n outs here in Pa that I know of.

A&W has the best chain burgers in these parts IMO

No What-A-Burger's, but, we do have 5 Guys

1960 Fruitville Pike

Lancaster, PA 17601

Tel: 7175697730

Fax: 7175697732

584-A Centreville Road

Lanscaster, PA 17601

4635 High Pointe Blvd., #75

Harrisburg, PA 17111

Tel: 717-558-8808

Fax: 717-558-8809.

5106- A Jonestown Rd

Harrisburg, PA 17109

Tel: 717-652-5950

Fax: 717-652-5952

Lincoln Highway East, PA 17602

Tel: 717-299-4470

Fax: 717-299-4472

2816 Concord Dr

York, PA 17407

Tel: 717-757-9673

Fax: 717-757-9675

1125 Haines Road

York, PA 17402

Tel: 717-755-4897

Fax: 717-755-9592

720 Loucks Rd

York, PA 17404

Tel: 7178486900

Fax: 7178484775

4300 N. 5th Street Highway

Temple, PA 19560

Tel: 610-929-9090

Fax: 610-929-9093

4810 Carlisle Pike

Mechanicsburg, PA 17050

Tel: 717-737-9545

Fax: 717-737-9546

Route 61 and Route 78

Hamburg, PA 19526

4619 Perkiomen Ave

Reading, PA 19606

Tel: 610-779-2001

Fax: 610-779-2003

76 Exton Square Mall

Exton, PA 19341

Tel: 484-875-0755

Fax: 484-875-9255

Edited by Menudo

All of this burger talk got me to go back to Culver's today. Very tasty burger, good crinkle cut fries and I tried a "cement mixer" (a Blizzard type of deal) which was also real good. :wacko:

Next week I'll be by our local Five Guys so I'll give them another shot.