[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Crazy, True Story of the Day

SEC=UGA

My wife came by my office today for lunch. She left to drive back to her office and about twelve minutes later I get a call from her. Her car is acting up, real sluggish, engine is shaking and the check engine light is on. I tell her to pull off the main road onto the first side road she sees, it is a subdivision.

I get to where she is, check out the car, there are definitely some issues. I get on the phone with the towing company to take the car up to the shop. I had to walk to the front of the subdivision to make sure I had the name correct and all that, I hang up with the tow company and my wife is halfway down the road coming toward me.

Her - "Did you see that guy that just pulled in in the VW wagon? He asked what was wrong, I explained it to him, he told me that it sounded like a coil pack was out, he's going to run home and get his laptop and a coil pack out of his garage. He said he was a VW mechanic."

Me - " What? :wacko: " (thinking, great, I got some dooooshbag that thinks he can work on cars.)

Dude pulls back up. Hops outta the car, two coil packs in hand and a lap top and tether. Immediately hooks into the on board jack, cranks it up, hits a couple buttons. "Damn, two coil packs are out, 3 and 6, and one is going. I only have two coil packs that will fit, they are used, but you can have them and run up to the VW dealership and get new ones put in."

Right there in the middle of the road he pops in the two used coil packs, checks hs computer and decides that it isn't a good idea to drive the car. He calls up the VW dealership (he works on VW racers now) gives them his shop IID number, tells them he needs 6 coil packs and 6 spark plugs. He asks me If I'll pull the car to his house and then my wife and I can go pick up the parts and he'll replace them when we get back.

Go to the dealership, the parts are waiting, 6 coil packs, 6 plugs $190...

Get back to his house, he has already pulled all the plugs and coil packs, puts the new stuff in. I tell him, "Look, I'm not sure what's appropriate here but how much do you want me to pay you, $150? "

"No, I was just trying to help you out. Don't worry about it."

(I had bought him a couple VW hats at the dealership, on top of what I was gonna pay him.) "Well, how bout this, I'm gonna write you a check for $150 and you can do what you want with it... (and gave him the hats.)"

He tells me he will not cash the check. I say "Ok, how bout a hundred bucks." He finally capitulates.

The guy is a Brazilian immigrant, as nice as he can be and I am amazed that he actually stopped to help us out and went to the lengths that he did. Gestures like this really help to renew my faith in people.

Not just that, but the timing and location of the whole thing is absolutely amazing, you talk about luck.

My wife came by my office today for lunch. She left to drive back to her office and about twelve minutes later I get a call from her. Her car is acting up, real sluggish, engine is shaking and the check engine light is on. I tell her to pull off the main road onto the first side road she sees, it is a subdivision.

I get to where she is, check out the car, there are definitely some issues. I get on the phone with the towing company to take the car up to the shop. I had to walk to the front of the subdivision to make sure I had the name correct and all that, I hang up with the tow company and my wife is halfway down the road coming toward me.

Her - "Did you see that guy that just pulled in in the VW wagon? He asked what was wrong, I explained it to him, he told me that it sounded like a coil pack was out, he's going to run home and get his laptop and a coil pack out of his garage. He said he was a VW mechanic."

Me - " What? :wacko: " (thinking, great, I got some dooooshbag that thinks he can work on cars.)

Dude pulls back up. Hops outta the car, two coil packs in hand and a lap top and tether. Immediately hooks into the on board jack, cranks it up, hits a couple buttons. "Damn, two coil packs are out, 3 and 6, and one is going. I only have two coil packs that will fit, they are used, but you can have them and run up to the VW dealership and get new ones put in."

Right there in the middle of the road he pops in the two used coil packs, checks hs computer and decides that it isn't a good idea to drive the car. He calls up the VW dealership (he works on VW racers now) gives them his shop IID number, tells them he needs 6 coil packs and 6 spark plugs. He asks me If I'll pull the car to his house and then my wife and I can go pick up the parts and he'll replace them when we get back.

Go to the dealership, the parts are waiting, 6 coil packs, 6 plugs $190...

Get back to his house, he has already pulled all the plugs and coil packs, puts the new stuff in. I tell him, "Look, I'm not sure what's appropriate here but how much do you want me to pay you, $150? "

"No, I was just trying to help you out. Don't worry about it."

(I had bought him a couple VW hats at the dealership, on top of what I was gonna pay him.) "Well, how bout this, I'm gonna write you a check for $150 and you can do what you want with it... (and gave him the hats.)"

He tells me he will not cash the check. I say "Ok, how bout a hundred bucks." He finally capitulates.

The guy is a Brazilian immigrant, as nice as he can be and I am amazed that he actually stopped to help us out and went to the lengths that he did. Gestures like this really help to renew my faith in people.

Not just that, but the timing and location of the whole thing is absolutely amazing, you talk about luck.

who in there right mind would own a VW?

The world needs more people like that. thats the 2nd time i said that on the huddle this week. So to recap. The world needs more people like

A. The teenage chinese kid that is going to cure Cystic Fibrosis

B. The Brazilian VW guy that wanted to play hide the sausage with SEC's wife

Edited by whomper

Bastard took someone elses job. If not for him, some other American would have been paid. "They took our jobs!!" - South Park

:wacko:

J/K... nice guy... wish there were more people in the world like this. Unless he begins stalking you.

The world needs more people like that. thats the 2nd time i said that on the huddle this week. So to recap. The world needs more people like

A. The teenage chinese kid that is going to cure Cystic Fibrosis

B. The Brazilian VW guy that wanted to play hide the sausage with SEC's wife

i bet chargerzs helps all the time, add that :wacko:

A few months ago, the Ford Exploder my stepfather-in-law loaned us basically blew up coming back from a day-long work outing 45 minutes or so south of Austin, I actually turned into a subdivision that I had to go and make sure I had the right name for while on the phone with Puddy. I too also got into a conversation with a dude who happened to be walking by, who was of Central or South American descent. He didn't fix the car but he at least was in the construction industry and told me how bad it was sucking for him, too. :wacko:

Cool story for you and your wife; there are good people out there. Too bad the a-holes outnumber them by a lot.

A few months ago, the Ford Exploder my stepfather-in-law loaned us basically blew up coming back from a day-long work outing 45 minutes or so south of Austin, I actually turned into a subdivision that I had to go and make sure I had the right name for while on the phone with Puddy. I too also got into a conversation with a dude who happened to be walking by, who was of Central or South American descent. He didn't fix the car but he at least was in the construction industry and told me how bad it was sucking for him, too. :tup:

Cool story for you and your wife; there are good people out there. Too bad the a-holes outnumber them by a lot.

Explorer or Pinto? :wacko:

Cool story SEC.

I owned VWs for years and found those who work on them to be a bit fanatical about them. My mechanic only worked on VWs and Audis and he was a wizard. He saved me so much money and headache over the years that every time I changed models, I'd just donate the old car to him. He used to "fix them up" then give them to struggling college students.

Nice to find people like that these days. :wacko: