[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adventures in Retail

Rovers

So here I am at my still relatively new job at... ah well, call it on of the big box stores, home improvement type, after health issues forced me to shut down and sell off my landscaping biz last year. It's not a nightmare, but... this happened today:

A woman of Paki or Indian heritage with a poor grasp of the english language comes in. She tells me she wants this 88 dollar deck canopy cover, it's flimsy, it's 88 bucks. Right. I tell her I can get a cart for her to take it to a cashier. She says:

"Oh no, you must deliver and install it."

"I'm sorry, but we don't install canopies, and any delivery from the store costs 85 dollars."

"Oh no, you must deliver and install for 88."

"I'm sorry, but we do not deliver for free, and we do not install canopies."

"You WILL install it, and for 88. You must deliver and install."

"Sorry, but we do not do that. I can load it on a cart for you."

(Woman starts shaking this cheap canopy) and says "This is not good." She sees a Martha Stewart 10X12 300 dollar canopy. It's $299. She says "You will give me this one, deliver it and install it for $88."

"Maam, I'm sorry, but delivery is $85 and we do not install canopies. That canopy is $300."

"No, you give me this one for 88 dollar, deliver and install."

I repeat myself at least 3 times. She repeats that I will, must, deliver and install the 300 dollar canopy for $88.

After a few more exchanges, I just walk away. Is this a Bombay spice market where you can buy stuff for free? Her attitude was I was some sort of peon, and would do her bidding, whatever she wanted. I was a house servant, or a spice merchant under a tent in a Bombay market. Her attitude was I was some piece of chit to be spoken down to and to do her bidding. That is a prevalent thing with immigrants from that part of the world in my experience (both as the owner of a landscaping company and now as a retailer). Maybe she was some freakin queen in waiting in India, but she ain't chit here. Since when did far easterners become superior to Americans? They seem to think it's happened already.

Think this is nutso? The Scripto charcoal lighters for $2.50? I am asked which one is better,the blue one or the red one?

I am FREAKIN thrilled when a customer who can actually speak english and is coherent asks for some help. Sadly, they are few and far apart, maybe because they can read. Maybe because they can shut up long enough to get an answer before firing off three more comment/questions.

These nuts order a pricey Weber grill, and I have to explain what a spatula is, and how to use it.

I have only one question. Where are the Americans who graduated high school and can read and converse in english coherently all gone?

This new job has been a real adventure... into learning more about our "new" Americans and how idiotic and biased they are. They seem to believe they are superior to us.

OK, so my new job has some downside....

I feel your pain. I actually haven't had too many problems with Arabs or Indians (although not many of them play golf, relatively). Internationally, I've found Koreans to be the most difficult to please. The Aussies are the nicest and most thankful, the Canadians and folks from New Zealand (the other Canada) are by far the dumbest people on the globe.

As far as folks from the US, New Mexico people are just weirdest folks imaginable. You know every conversation is going to get strange at some point. In the entire world, the most difficult people to help are the East Coasters. "So, if I buy this club here, what are you gonna do for me?"

Some people just don't understand life. I don't know how they ever got this far. You did the right thing to walk away.

Edited by Seahawks21

The answer on the scripto's is that the green ones are by far the best, that's why you are out of them. They should come back next week, maybe you will have some by then.

As for the Canopy woman you should have told her she could have the Martha Stewart for $150 installed, but only if she could pay in cash on the spot. Tell her your man will be around next week to deliver and install, no worries. Tear off the tag for her reciept and assure her that your store computer has a shot of her car and license plate and so you have her address already and will be in contact, there is no need for her to worry about a thing. When she comes back in to complain when you don't deliver jus tbe prepared to play it off. You've never seen this crazy woman before in your life, and her story about delivery and iinstall, ridiculous. Maybe she has the wrong store.

Thanks for this info. I had considered (only for a short time) about retiring and getting a job at Lowes or HD but did not want to deal with people like you mentioned. I am considering (and have been looking) for a job at a national plumbing supply house. I figure the far majority of the peolple that come in would be knowledgable. I worked for Noland Company when I first got out of High School in 1974. We did have one old plumber that use to come in. You could smell him a mile away and on top of that you could hardly understand what he was saying. I still remember the first time I had to wait on him. :wacko: I was at the counter with about 3 other guys. Next thing I know I was all alone up there, then this guy comes walking in. I learned real fast that if I see his truck coming head for the hills. :tup::lol:

So here I am at my still relatively new job at... ah well, call it on of the big box stores, home improvement type, after health issues forced me to shut down and sell off my landscaping biz last year. It's not a nightmare, but... this happened today:

A woman of Paki or Indian heritage with a poor grasp of the english language comes in. She tells me she wants this 88 dollar deck canopy cover, it's flimsy, it's 88 bucks. Right. I tell her I can get a cart for her to take it to a cashier. She says:

"I'm sorry, but we don't install canopies, and any delivery from the store costs 85 dollars."

(Woman starts shaking this cheap canopy) and says "This is not good." She sees a Martha Stewart 10X12 300 dollar canopy. It's $299. She says "You will give me this one, deliver it and install it for $88."

"Maam, I'm sorry, but delivery is $85 and we do not install canopies. That canopy is $300."

I repeat myself at least 3 times. She repeats that I will, must, deliver and install the 300 dollar canopy for $88.

After a few more exchanges, I just walk away. Is this a Bombay spice market where you can buy stuff for free? Her attitude was I was some sort of peon, and would do her bidding, whatever she wanted. I was a house servant, or a spice merchant under a tent in a Bombay market. Her attitude was I was some piece of chit to be spoken down to and to do her bidding. That is a prevalent thing with immigrants from that part of the world in my experience (both as the owner of a landscaping company and now as a retailer). Maybe she was some freakin queen in waiting in India, but she ain't chit here. Since when did far easterners become superior to Americans? They seem to think it's happened already.

Think this is nutso? The Scripto charcoal lighters for $2.50? I am asked which one is better,the blue one or the red one?

I am FREAKIN thrilled when a customer who can actually speak english and is coherent asks for some help. Sadly, they are few and far apart, maybe because they can read. Maybe because they can shut up long enough to get an answer before firing off three more comment/questions.

These nuts order a pricey Weber grill, and I have to explain what a spatula is, and how to use it.

I have only one question. Where are the Americans who graduated high school and can read and converse in english coherently all gone?

This new job has been a real adventure... into learning more about our "new" Americans and how idiotic and biased they are. They seem to believe they are superior to us.

This isn't a slam against you, but it works both ways. I went into Home Depot once and asked an employee where adjustable sawhorses were. He pointed me to the back of the store, where the wooden sawhorses were. After wandering around, I asked someone else. He had no idea what I was talking about. I say thanks, start to walk away and see adjustable sawhorses at the endcap of the aisle. They were 15 feet from the guy I had just asked.

I've experienced the "new" Americans twice. In Imperial Beach, the Mexican population has skyrocketed in 10 years. They really do think there is no need to learn English. In Glendale, its the Armenians who were basically given the city by an Armenian Mayor 20 years ago. White people are looked down upon and I've come close to correcting them once or twice..and not in a good way mind you.

This isn't a slam against you, but it works both ways. I went into Home Depot once and asked an employee where adjustable sawhorses were. He pointed me to the back of the store, where the wooden sawhorses were. After wandering around, I asked someone else. He had no idea what I was talking about. I say thanks, start to walk away and see adjustable sawhorses at the endcap of the aisle. They were 15 feet from the guy I had just asked.

On a side note, the Home Depot's around here have been a million percent better over the last month of so. I know this is a point of emphasis for them again, since that was their culture originally.

People have been walking me to the products, offering to load, asking questions about my project, etc...

Much appreciated for sure.

On a side note, the Home Depot's around here have been a million percent better over the last month of so. I know this is a point of emphasis for them again, since that was their culture originally.

People have been walking me to the products, offering to load, asking questions about my project, etc...

I have noticed this too. There was a long period where you couldn't find anyone out on the floor but it looks like they've staffed up a bit.

Another side note: The people who monopolize a floor guy for hours piss me off.

Come to think of it, you're right. The experience I mentioned was last year. Just recently I had to find a range hood filter. The guy enthusiastically walked me to where the filters were located. They didn't have the size I needed, and he suggested another store nearby that I could try. I remember thinking, Wow, this never happens. Good to know they're doing this more. :wacko:

It's always interesting to see both sides. Here I am, the most expert lawn and Josh Gordon and power equipment guy this store has (without modesty, I can say I am an expert) but try getting back to the restroom across the store. People see you in an aisle, and figure you know EVERYTHING. I know squat about plumbing, but if I'm walking through thast aisle, there might be hell to pay. Heck, I used black pipe with that other stuff you aren't supposed to combine with a few years ago... Now I get a small rush of rusty water in the bathtub. They want me to give them advice.

Many employees in the spring are new and temp hires. They keep only about 5% of them after the season is over. I've already learned that apparently, I am a keeper. We have some real frerakin zeroes around. That is the biz end of it, but also, HD has been trying to get back to the original's founder's vision, of enough help to advise and have a knowqledgable staff. It's a culture change. That sort of change happens slowly.

That creates a conflict... loyalty to long time employees (which HD is known for) vs. getting rid of slackards. In the 2 1/2 months I've been there, they have fired a ten year guy in my dept. Apparently, he'd been warned a bunch of times. I could see how he would disappear.... they finally canned him.

I can tell you this: The competition from some of the temps for the 2 or 3 permanent positions was very competitive. I have busted my nuts to make the cut, skipping more breaks than I took, always trying to be visable to the managers who are too busy generally speaking to even notice who their best performers are. Retail is a world unto it's own. In a store like this, the pace is a sprint but you run a marathon. You are helping 2 or 3 cusrtomers at once, they get testy, and another walks up and demands your immediate attention. The pace is nuts. Time flies by. Of course, in the spring the garden dept is crazy. My store just missed sales of a million dollars this past week. That is just the garden dept. We were 42k short.... and mentioning that to the managers gets you points. Some of my temp co-workers aren't that savy. Let the bosses know you are looking at results.

So, yes, HD is trying to get back to the roots that made them rich. The lowest prices, the best advice and the best customer service. But, it's a culture change. That will take time. I'm a team player, so I've bought in. I make sure management knows that. I intend to be a garden center dept mgr faster than any new employee they ever had. I have had a good start. I raised eyebrows when I said that in my interview. They all know who I am now. I go all in when I go. Even if I fail, the ride is fun.

Right now she is on a fantasy cricket site saying, "So I kept asking this American stud to come to my penthouse suite and "install a canopy" into my ladies in waiting and myself" "I even offered this hillbilly $88 in gas money"

Opportunity lost for some good burka lovin' or kama sutra tutorial. Boo to you sir!

It's always interesting to see both sides. Here I am, the most expert lawn and Josh Gordon and power equipment guy this store has (without modesty, I can say I am an expert) but try getting back to the restroom across the store. People see you in an aisle, and figure you know EVERYTHING. I know squat about plumbing, but if I'm walking through thast aisle, there might be hell to pay. Heck, I used black pipe with that other stuff you aren't supposed to combine with a few years ago... Now I get a small rush of rusty water in the bathtub. They want me to give them advice.

Many employees in the spring are new and temp hires. They keep only about 5% of them after the season is over. I've already learned that apparently, I am a keeper. We have some real frerakin zeroes around. That is the biz end of it, but also, HD has been trying to get back to the original's founder's vision, of enough help to advise and have a knowqledgable staff. It's a culture change. That sort of change happens slowly.

That creates a conflict... loyalty to long time employees (which HD is known for) vs. getting rid of slackards. In the 2 1/2 months I've been there, they have fired a ten year guy in my dept. Apparently, he'd been warned a bunch of times. I could see how he would disappear.... they finally canned him.

I can tell you this: The competition from some of the temps for the 2 or 3 permanent positions was very competitive. I have busted my nuts to make the cut, skipping more breaks than I took, always trying to be visable to the managers who are too busy generally speaking to even notice who their best performers are. Retail is a world unto it's own. In a store like this, the pace is a sprint but you run a marathon. You are helping 2 or 3 cusrtomers at once, they get testy, and another walks up and demands your immediate attention. The pace is nuts. Time flies by. Of course, in the spring the garden dept is crazy. My store just missed sales of a million dollars this past week. That is just the garden dept. We were 42k short.... and mentioning that to the managers gets you points. Some of my temp co-workers aren't that savy. Let the bosses know you are looking at results.

So, yes, HD is trying to get back to the roots that made them rich. The lowest prices, the best advice and the best customer service. But, it's a culture change. That will take time. I'm a team player, so I've bought in. I make sure management knows that. I intend to be a garden center dept mgr faster than any new employee they ever had. I have had a good start. I raised eyebrows when I said that in my interview. They all know who I am now. I go all in when I go. Even if I fail, the ride is fun.

I would think an "expert" and a "keeper" would not need advice, but apparently you can't get from one area of the store to the restroom without getting accosted, so here is the advice. TAKE OFF YOUR VEST WHEN HEADING TO THE PISSER. Without that identifying clothing article you are just another poorly dressed DIYer in need of a piss. I hope this helps.

So, hows your battle with Mr Pallet Manager goin?

So is Mr Pallet Manager the one that got canned?, the one you spoke of and had a conflict with in your original post about getting hired at HD. I just gotta know. :wacko:

Home Depot has always been an interesting creature to me. I remember it in it's infancy, it's conception really. There was a chain, the precursor to HD, here in Atlanta called Handy City, orange and white logo, interestingly enough. Handy City had everything Home Depot does and in much the same format, but Handy City had HORRIBLE customer service (similar to home depot for a stretch in the mid 2000's.)

I remember one day in the early 80's, my dad and I went to handy city, it was a Saturday and the place was hopping, there were two lanes open. After standing in the check out line for about 5 minutes, dad left the cart there and we went down the road a bit to HD, never went back to Handy City. It seems HD put them under in about three or four years.

This is normal behavior for a high caste Indian in a shopping environment. India is probably the most class-riddled society on Earth.

this

I have noticed this too. There was a long period where you couldn't find anyone out on the floor but it looks like they've staffed up a bit.

Another side note: The people who monopolize a floor guy for hours piss me off.

yup me as well and i cant go in manards.... so all i got is HD and ABC lumber.

I did some time as a baker for Safeway. I had one guy argue with me for 5 minutes that one of the chocolate chip cookies in a package of 25 was skimpy on the chips and he wanted it for 1/2 off. And when I refused to mark it down he went to my store manager and told him that I called him a n*gger. Luckily the people where I worked and my regular customers known better of me and nothing came from it. Just someone with an attitude

You just gave me a great idea for my 3k post, a retail, baker version of Chargerz booty post :wacko: