[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

USA v Japan Game Thread

Chief Dick

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if you had bought an American car instead of a Japanese car, they would've had enough sponsor dollars to teach them penalty kicks. Please stop acting like you were rooting for the USA driving around in your Honda/Toyota.

Edited by TimC

Maybe if you had bought an American car instead of a Japanese car, they would've had enough sponsor dollars to teach them penalty kicks. Please stop acting like you were rooting for the USA driving around in your Honda/Toyota.

I own a Hyundai, a Dodge, and a Ford. I guess 3/3rds of me could root for the Americans and 1/3rd for the Koreans, which is kind of confusing since they were not playing.

Look, I have to admit that I disrespected a bunch of WWII vets this weekend as well.....

I had to erase all the episodes of "The Pacific" I had recorded a few months ago during a free trial of HBO that I had yet to watch to free up space on my HD-DVR because...the World Series of Poker was being shown "Live" on ESPN2 all weekend. And there is nothing better than live poker.

Sorry, WWII vets...I'll get you through Netflix. :wacko:

I had to erase all the episodes of "The Pacific" I had recorded a few months ago during a free trial of HBO that I had yet to watch to free up space on my HD-DVR because...the World Series of Poker was being shown "Live" on ESPN2 all weekend. And there is nothing better than live poker.

I caught a bit of that over the weekend. Unwatchable to me when you can't see the hole cards..

I won $5.00.

USA women's team was way too over confident.

I saw the game. I thought the USA totally dominated the first half but they failed to take advantage of their opportunities. Gotta get the ball in the goal.

The second half was a bit more even but I still think the USA outplayed Japan. The difference is Japan took advantage of the chances they got and never gave up. This reminded me of an earlier match (I think it was with France) that the USA was outplayed but took advantage of their opportunites.

The penalty kicks were just horrific.

You don't close it out early when you have the chance and it bites in in the butt.

Edited by Footballjoe

I saw the game. I thought the USA totally dominated the first half but they failed to take advantage of their opportunities. Gotta get the ball in the goal.

The second half was a bit more even but I still think the USA outplayed Japan. The difference is Japan took advantage of the chances they got and never gave up. This reminded me of an earlier match (I think it was with France) that the USA was outplayed but took advantage of their opportunites.

The penalty kicks were just horrific.

You don't close it out early when you have the chance and it bites in in the butt.

I didn't watch. I don't know anything about soccer. I just read a couple of yahoo articles over lunch one day and said outloud that they were too over confident based on the quotes. As a result of that comment, a co-worker took me up on my claim.

I didn't watch. I don't know anything about soccer. I just read a couple of yahoo articles over lunch one day and said outloud that they were too over confident based on the quotes. As a result of that comment, a co-worker took me up on my claim.

I guess the point is that they did not look like an "over confident" team on Sunday. That's not why they lost. They kept pressing all game long like a team that was hungry. They just couldn't find the net. A few great balls that were unlucky, a few misplayed shots, but they certainly weren't just waiting for Japan to realize that the US was better and lay down. They had a couple of freaky defensive melt-downs and Japan took advantage. And the PK fiasco was anything but over-confidence. They were gripping hard.

In fact, the game went the opposite of conventional wisdom. Everyone thought that Japan would control the ball but that the US would have enough fire power to take advantage of their chances. But it was the opposite. Mind you, the first US goal was exactly the type of score that people were predicting. One long pass from well inside their zone to a streaking player who converted.

Considering most soccer pitches in Japan were converted to water polo after the tsunami, I am surprised the US lost.

Too soon? :wacko:

You, sir, hopefully, will never have to experience and live through such an outrageous and calamitous disaster that leaves you without family, friends, food or shelter. To take shots at an entire country that is currently going through one of the worst natural disasters in their history is one of the most base and utterly unconscionable things that any one could do. You should be ashamed that you allowed yourself to sink to such a low and dirty level.

ETA: Now, if it were the Chinese, Haitians, Cubans, Iranians, North Koreans, Somalis, or Irish that this happened to you would have free reign to make all the jokes you want.

Edited by SEC=UGA