[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Younger People Are Angry

WaterMan

I guess I don't completely understand how being mad at the top 1% being a form of plutocracy and manipulating the economy at the expense of the middle class is necessarily a "liberal" topic. I mean didn't the tea party start out after TARP. Isn't this something similar? These people are mad that the government decided to choose who to bail out as they decided to back the people who prop up the elected officials with campaign contributions at the expense of the majority of Americans. I think far too many are trying to drink their specific flavor of kool aid instead of actually becoming informed on the topic. I found this to be a reasonable response to the "not the 99%" picture I see on my facebook page constantly. Angry at Wallstreet getting bailed out while they are allowed to play high risk games that basically come down to "Heads they win, tails American's lose" is far from some radical idea that only far left hippies are on board with.

This is exactly the point. This isn't a liberal vs conservative issue at all. I said before that the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street really aren't that divergent in their contempt for power, it's just that each is aiming at one half of the power - the opposite half to the other one.

The fanatical defense of a plutocratic oligarchy by a number of people in here is mind boggling. It can only mean that the oligarchy has already won, since we seem to despise each other more than we despise them.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Panini and Company Cafe normally sells sandwiches to tourists in Lower Manhattan and the residents nearby, but in recent days its owner, Stacey Tzortzatos, has also become something of a restroom monitor. She is being harrassed, boycotted and basically shut down by the Operation Wall Street protesters. They want to use her bathrooms and have her deposit their "poop-bags" and when she refuses, they spit on her, yell at her and will not leave.

They try to sleep in her restaurant and use her power outlets but do not buy anything.

Poland Springs will not resupply her bottled water needs because they cannot access the store and her normal customers will not venture down there because of the stench. And Mayor Bloomberg refuses to help.

If you mean into the realm of personal accountability, then you are correct. You should try it. It feels good to be accountable for your own well being instead of relying on someone else's hard work to make your life better.

Are you suggesting that he relies on somebody else's hard work? I just want to make sure you are being held accountable for your statements.

Edited by Duchess Jack

This is exactly the point. This isn't a liberal vs conservative issue at all. I said before that the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street really aren't that divergent in their contempt for power, it's just that each is aiming at one half of the power - the opposite half to the other one.

This.

Both the Left and the Right believe that we have major problems. That's not where the differences lay. It is in the proposed solutions that we see the major incompatible differences between the Left and the Right. How could that not be crystal clear to everyone watching?

Both the Left and the Right believe that we have major problems. That's not where the differences lay. It is in the proposed solutions that we see the major incompatible differences between the Left and the Right. How could that not be crystal clear to everyone watching?

This.

The fanatical defense of a plutocratic oligarchy by a number of people in here is mind boggling. It can only mean that the oligarchy has already won, since we seem to despise each other more than we despise them.

It is as if the use of degrading and inflamed rhetoric leaves residual bad feelings impeding communication. That is why I respect your approach in generally keeping things straightforward.

Yup indeed.

I think the tea party movement (sans the repub hijackers) is better directed. If elections are still indeed genuine, changing enough politicians will change things ( :wacko: ) faster than appealing to the conscience of CEOs and corporations. If we want to really make our voices heard - vote everybody out and stop buying goods and services from companies you have heatburn over.

i love venn diagrams that are simple and true.

I was going to draw two circles and see where they overlapped - one circle would be people who whine about what Walker did because it directly impacted them but used the excuse of it being about the kids and another circle for Wisconsin teachers but then realized I only needed one circle.

I love venn diagrams that are simple and true. :wacko:

There is a good deal of truth in what you've written. I've been following this thread for some time and I believe this to be the most spot-on comment I've read, it describes our current state quite well.

There is a good deal of truth in what you've written. I've been following this thread for some time and I believe this to be the most spot-on comment I've read, it describes our current state quite well.

Right, so instead of sitting at the capital, or marching on big lobbiest... these people occupy a private park, and ruin the day to day business of people who live and do business around that park?

Your boy is the POTUS, your boys creating the fannie and freddie mess, your boys made us 14+ trillion in debt. Who is you boogieman? The 2009-10 congress? That was you.

The problem is spending. Worry about yourself. What do you care what someone else's income is? Self reliance. Grow up.

Pretty much what I mean. I doubt there will be any notice taken of the protestors until things turn violent. For sure neither political party wants to make any real attempt to really go after the turds that brought us to where we are now. In some countries, they'd have either been shot out of hand or be wearing prison stripes. Here they get to carry on as if nothing happened, even carry on bribing politicians not to stop them.

That's the root of this protest - sheer disgust. It's just coming from a different angle at the same disgust the Tea Party feel. Occupy Wall Street see a tiny minority forging ahead at the expense of every other Jack and blame the bribers, the Tea Party see a compliant government and blame the bribees.

Well said!! :wacko:

Right, so instead of sitting at the capital, or marching on big lobbiest... these people occupy a private park, and ruin the day to day business of people who live and do business around that park?

Your boy is the POTUS, your boys creating the fannie and freddie mess, your boys made us 14+ trillion in debt. Who is you boogieman? The 2009-10 congress? That was you.

The problem is spending. Worry about yourself. What do you care what someone else's income is? Self reliance. Grow up.

There are just a small amount of people who care about the millions of recently lost or sent jobs to other countries. Some people question why we spent so much money killing two Arabs. One being a boogyman himself. Have you ever seen the Iraqii airforce? Some question why the richest country in the world can't provide healthcare like other peaceful nations. That must be where the spending is coming in. We spend more money on our military than 4 or 5 countries below us combined, if not more, so I guess that leaves no money for doctor visits. A few people who aren't shareholders question why we gave so much money to corporations that couldn't understand this self reliance you are referring too, while these guys paid less in taxes than teenagers working at McDonald's over the summer.

:wacko: