[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Day 9 - No Cigarette

ebartender

Good job, keep it up 3 years quit so far for me

WTG ebar ... your life will be much better without them, not to mention the extra cash you will have in your bank account.

Well done! Any body that can kick this devil, I give my props

My dad used to smoke until he quit 25 years ago. He started at 15 (so he says) back in the 50s and was up to 2 packs a day. I used to actually go to the corner store and buy him the damn things (Kents, please.)

He went cold turkey, was eating gum, lifesavers, tic tacs, anything to keep it off him. He is over 75 now, and in great health. I still to this day am thankful whatever triggered him to stop, got him to do it. I always figured it was my mom nagging him. Any method that works is a means to the end.

Thanks, I used to think the support websites/phone calls were kind of stupid but they seem to work for me so far. It is so weird not to even crave a cigarette. I am just worried what will happen once I am off the Chantix.

Speaking as a former smoker, you need to just take it one day at a time to get through the initial wave of cravings. This first phase is about avoiding your triggers (e.g., drinking, friends who smoke, stress, etc). The first phase may last a few weeks or even months.

Phase two begins after you conquer the initial, overwhelming onslaught of cravings. Your enemy in phase two is overconfidence. For me, at least, one slip up sent me back to square one and it was like I never quit. The key is phase two is not getting arrogant and trying to rationalize an occasional smoke. This phase may last months or (at least in my case) years.

The last phase is about doing things that make you feel so awesome that the idea of smoking becomes repulsive, because it would rob you of the awesomeness. I started running to get into/stay in shape for ever-more challenging back packing trips to cooler and cooler locations. This is particularly awesome now that I am approaching 40 and am watching so many of my friends start to get old and out of shape. But not me - I've never felt better, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let a (the really bad word)ing tobacco company steal that from me.

Edited by yo mama

Speaking as a former smoker, you need to just take it one day at a time to get through the initial wave of cravings. This first phase is about avoiding your triggers (e.g., drinking, friends who smoke, stress, etc). The first phase may last a few weeks or even months.

Phase two begins after you conquer the initial, overwhelming onslaught of cravings. Your enemy in phase two is overconfidence. For me, at least, one slip up sent me back to square one and it was like I never quit. The key is phase two is not getting arrogant and trying to rationalize an occasional smoke. This phase may last months or (at least in my case) years.

The last phase is about doing things that make you feel so awesome that the idea of smoking becomes repulsive, because it would rob you of the awesomeness. I started running to get into/stay in shape for ever-more challenging back packing trips to cooler and cooler locations. This is particularly awesome now that I am approaching 40 and am watching so many of my friends start to get old and out of shape. But not me - I've never felt better, and I'll be damned if I'm going to let a (the really bad word)ing tobacco company steal that from me.

This is all great advice! It took me years and many tries before I was inally able to kick them for good. A lot of what I did has been posted here by yo mama. Never give up quitting. You obviously want to or you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Whenever the thought of having one creeps in you have to mentally tackle it with all the reasons why you wanted to quit in the first place.

Good luck!

This is all great advice! It took me years and many tries before I was inally able to kick them for good. A lot of what I did has been posted here by yo mama. Never give up quitting. You obviously want to or you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Whenever the thought of having one creeps in you have to mentally tackle it with all the reasons why you wanted to quit in the first place.

Good luck!

Excellent point. It took me years to quit for good, and many attempts.

AWESOME!

It's life changing for sure. I went the electronic cig route, cleran for 11 months now from 2 to 3 packs a day. Chantix scared me.... history of depression, complications and warnings scared me off. Whatever works, works for you. Whatever the method, if it works....

Congrats, and don't give in. My attitude is if I never make an exception for just one tiny little puff.... I'll never smoke again. Hard line, hard core. Militant stoppage.

My one year anniversary is about a month away. Never gonna look back. Stay viligant. Best of luck!

Congrats to all those quitting. Day 39 for me, using Nicorette lozenges and the web sites have been helpful too.

I'll echo yo's comments about phase two. I am a way over confident phase two'er. Down to only 2-3 pieces a day (far ahead of schedule). Yesterday I was frantically searching all over my desk for something I could not find. After about 3 minutes of seraching for something I relazied I was looking for a pack of cigarettes. That's got my attention. :wacko:

Best of luck to the rest of you quitters.

• 2 weeks later...

Going on 4 years now for cigs and the hippy lettuce.... Quit them both at the same time :wacko: that was tough but cigs were by far the harder of the 2 as I have not hit the hippy hippy shake since then but occasionally will have a smoke when drinking with the wife and friends. But the beauty part is I don't go buy a pack the next day and can go weeks without so I think I have conquered both and will never go back to an everyday lifestyle for either.