[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What ever happened to crinkle cut fries?

DMD

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's, seemed like most of the french fries back then were crinklecut. But now they seem to be almost entirely "thin and crispy" like McDonald's. Why the change to thin and straight fries or is it different in other parts of the country. Speaking for Texas and Northern California, most all places no longer have crinklecut. Maybe thick steak fries. Even curly fries like at Arby's. But crinkle cut could be crispy too.

It is nearing dinner time and wouldn't a plate full of hot crinkle cut fries and ketchup be good? Where did they go?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is nearing dinner time and wouldn't a plate full of hot crinkle cut fries and ketchup be good?

Yes. Thx I was going to have fresh veggies and fish. Whew

When I was growing up (similar time) some were that way but "smooth" fries were common then too.

I believe these are closer to what DMD is talking about. When I was growing up, my parents used to take us to Carl's Jr on weekends, and they had the crinkle-cut fries. They were by far my favorite. Then they disappeared. Ore-Ida makes Crispers, which are the almost exactly like I remember the Carl's Jr fries. They're smaller and thinner than the Ore-Ida Crinkle-Cut, so they're crispier. For some reason, though, only certain supermarket chains carry the Crispers. When I find them I always grab three or four bags and keep them in the second fridge in the garage.

Obviuosly all the chains have tried to do the McDonalds-style fries (in a futile effort, because it's actually the one thing McDonalds does well, albeit in part because they put sugar on them), but I still see the crinkles at tons of local joints.

McDonald's fries are considered the standard of the industry. I prefer crinkle cut myself.

Obviuosly all the chains have tried to do the McDonalds-style fries (in a futile effort, because it's actually the one thing McDonalds does well, albeit in part because they put sugar on them), but I still see the crinkles at tons of local joints.

Is that part true? Damn, I thought the salt made them delicious, now the fries are sugared?

Never been a fan of the crinkle cut. To my best recollection, they are soggy and limp.

That's true with any fries if you undercook them, but even moreso with them.. I actually never get crinkle-fries from one local diner anymore, because they always undercooked them. I even tried asking for them crispy, but they'd end up frying all the potato out of it... If I didn't think I'd get my food spit on, I'd ask, "please give instructions to the cooks that I'd like my fries cooked".

Edited by delusions of granduer

Never been a fan of the crinkle cut. To my best recollection, they are soggy and limp.

They are just not cooked enough or the oil needs to be hotter. That is the thing - there is more surface area to be crisp.