[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Top 5 Life Defining Albums

cliaz

Big Brother and the Holding Company - Cheap Thrills

Summertime still blows me away.

Marvin Gaye - What's Going On

Just hit home for me..

Van Morrison - Moondance

My introduction to Jazz

The Beatles - The White Album

Just light one up and enjoy....

Diana Krall - Live in Paris

reawaken my love of music and led me into a whole new genre.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My criteria is personal air play. What albums vould I not manage to ever get out of the player, or what one's always find their way back in...

Pearl Jam - Ten - Might be the single greatest album start to finish I've ever heard. Actually wore out my CD copy of this.

Semisonic - Feeling Strangely Fine - Closing Time is by far the worst song on the album. So underrated imo, great band, great album.

Dave Matthews Band - Crash - Had never heard anything quite like them before, and started my love affair. 12 concerts and 30 something live recordings later, I still love this band.

AC/DC - Back in Black - when I hear the end of any of these songs, I still start singing the next song from the album. It was stuck in my older sister's cassette player in her car for two years, literally. She drove me to school every day.

The Kinks - Give the People What they Want - Love this album! Around the Dial, Predictable, Destroyer. Love it, love it, love it. Not given nearly their due in the bid scheme of rock and roll, but they are legends.

Led Zeppelin 1- this album captured the emotion of the late 60's but did so while introducing an extreme level of musicianship missing from other artists of the day. Jimmy Page's guitar, Plant's mournful vocals, JPJ's intricate rhythms on the bass. The blues never spoke to so many people before this masterpiece.

Rush 2112- I think I listened to this album for four solid years. Wore out about five vinyl copies. The ultimate concept album, though it took a while to get accustomed to Geddy's voice.

Van Halen 1- other than Zep's debut, may be the greatest debut album in my opinion

Queensryche Operation Mindcrime- no other album I've owned has had more consistent greatness track-to-track. Not a bad or wasted song. Interesting take on an old theme (Point of No Return/Nikita). Still needs to be made into a movie. I've told my daughter I will charge her interest on her film school tuition if this isn't her first project.

Opeth Ghost Reveries- I never thought I could enjoy "death metal" or Europrogressive heavy rock, but this album changed my views. Fantastic.

HM: Bridge of Sighs (Robin Trower), Thunder and Lightning (Thin Lizzy), Lights Out (UFO), Love Drive (Scorpions), World Anthem (Frank Marino), Corridors of Power (Gary Moore), Disconnected (Fates Warning), Sad Wings of Destiny (Judas Priest)- this album started it all for me.

Edited by Redfish

What's Going On (Marvin Gaye) - always a big Marvin Gaye fan. Loved the arrangement that the entire album blended into one continuous song.

That's the Way of the World (Earth, Wind & Fire) - Really began to enjoy listening to music when this came out in the seventies.

Gratitude (Earth, Wind & Fire) - One of the better live albums. Although some songs were not live.

Songs in the Key of Life (Stevie Wonder) - Definitely ahead of his time. His newer music doesn't come close to this double album classic.

Thriller (Michael Jackson) - Enjoyed the CD. Made the list mainly because of the topic title "Life Defining." Seven top ten singles and no other album/CD has ever come close to over 100 million sales.

Have very fond memories of these three. Still listen to Hysteria nearly every week and it's always hairband rock to work in the yard or garage.

Recent clip from tv show Criminal Minds stated that we form our most cherished ties with music around age 14. Bolded albums were all released in 1987 when I was 16. Must have been a late bloomer.

Hysteria and Appetite are THE 2 albums I think of when I think of High School and got me through those times. Hysteria is anything but high art, but it was really fun and was what I needed at the time :wacko:

1. Foreigner - Double Vision

2. Scorpions - Blackout

3. Van Halen - Van Halen

4. The Cult - Sonic Temple

5. Floggin Molly - Swagger

Would like to give an honorable mention to The Refreshments - Fizzy, Fuzzy Big and Buzzy. Not ground breaking music, but it's fun and enjoyed bout every song on the cd.

Dark Side of the Moon-Solid in its own right this album lead me to the rest of the Floyd catalog, and through them to other British bands, Traffic, Ten years After, Clapton in his various incarnations.

Who's Next- As an Album it was perhaps the strongest ever. It held more classic cuts than any album I can think of, and the songs resonated with me as a youth, and are still relevant today.

American Beauty- Not my first Dead Album, but that one that fired my love for the band. This album is very strong and it ignited a fire for storytelling lyrics and acoustic music. I saw over 200 Dead shows. I was lead through this album to a greater interest in San Francisco music. This lead, for me to Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, Robert Hunter, Old and in the Way.

Legend- Opened up Reggae to me and then to a willingness to be open to other genre`s of music. Without Bob Marley maybe I never listen to Andres Segovia

BB King- I no longer remember which of his albums I consumed first. I do know that ater hearing about three bars of his music I rapidly bought up about four or five of his albums, a couple of Albert Collins works, some Freddy King, Willie Dixon, and Howling Wolf. without BB maybe I never give a listen to Jack Johnson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Lamont Cranston.

Limited to five albums one would believe perhaps I never found any jazz. Not so. It just missed the cut. I find it intersting that Dylan did not make the list either. I also don't get to skynard and through them Allman's and southern rockwith only 5 choices. Hell, with only 5 choices I miss a lot, but for me the above choices work.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

The Rolling Stones - Some Girls: Bought my first album, Some Girls, prior to my first ever concert in 1978. - The Stones at JFK in Philly. I wasn't all that into music then, but a few guys that were in a band in grade school said they had an extra ticket and asked if I wanted to go. We had to clean the music teachers pool to get a ride. The music teacher was a hippie who drove a VW Bus and was pretty cool with us kids, so we agreed and went one Saturday to clean-out his pool. The concert was during the day on a Saturday and had Jimmy Cliff and Foreigner as opening acts; it was general admission. The music teacher said "We're going on THAT side, you guys stay over here on THIS side and we'll see after the concert right back here." My mind was sufficiently blown once the Stones broke into STAR STAR! I have been a HUGE Stones fan ever since!

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream: Was on a 2-week trip to Europe with my Dad (London/Edinburgh). he was supposed to go with my Mom but she passed away 6 months prior so he took me. After a week with just the two of us, tensions were high as we often butted heads. So, wandering around Edinburgh by myself in late August, I decide that I'm going to fly to Amsterdam for the weekend. I walked into a travel agency and just booked a flight and hotel room and went back and told my dad, "I'm going to Amsterdam for the weekend, I'll meet you back here on Monday." Well, after an awesome foggy weekend, I still had some Dutch money at the airport and I wanted to unload it before going back to Scotland. perusing the DVDs I saw Siamese Dream and it cost almost as much as I had and I had heard good things about the Pumpkins, so I grabbed it...not knowing really what to expect. Blew my mind and I became a HUGE fan. They are my 2nd favorite band behind the Stones.

:wacko:

Edited by The Next Generation

1. Homer and Jethro - The Worst of Homer and Jethro...as kids we would take this 33 speed album from my father's collection and play it on the turntable at 45 speed. My life has not been the same since.

2. Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')...older brother gave me this on an 8-track tape for Christmas when I was about 13. I had never even heard of Frank. Put it in my closet for about a year and was rummaging around looking for something else and found it. Took the cellophane off and listened to the entire thing. Went out and started doing drugs the next day.

3. Pink Floyd - DSOTM...sounded really great on drugs, I think.

4. Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy...all the mountains washed away.

5. Heart - Dreamboat Annie...1st girlfriend had this continuously playing in her car and she certainly changed my life.

Interesting topic.

The Police: Synchronicity: For my 12th birthday, my godfather gave me this album, Lionel Richie: Can't Slow Down, Quiet Riot: Metal Health, and Men at Work : Cargo. :wacko: Quite a selection. These were the first albums I owned. Synchronicity is the one that stuck and I still listen to it from time to time. Even though this album was more mainstream, I got into their earlier music too and that brought punk, alternative, indie, etc. into play later.

Led Zeppelin IV: I thought I was a skater for a while and wrote ZoSo on my backpack and skate board. Because that was cool. Musically, this was my doorway to Metallica, but also even better rock as in Zeppelin I and II.

Grateful Dead: Without a Net: My first "jam band" and live album. Got this during my long-haired teenage days - probably around 17 y.o. or so - and listened to it all the time. Branford Marsalis on the sax on "Eyes of the World" opened me up to the thought that I might like Jazz, but that came later. Still listen to this one from time to time - especially on a road trip.

Red Hot Chili Peppers: Blood Sugar Sex Magik 1991 and a freshman in college. I recall blasting this album all year long to drown out Nirvana: Nevermind which I never really took to. I rarely listen to it anymore though. Got more into Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, etc. as time went on.

No Doubt: Tragic Kingdom I hated the grunge movement by this time because it seemed like that was all one could hear on the radio. Jerry Garcia had died. I found No Doubt to be a breath of fresh air in 1995. I sort of got into "chicks that rock" after this because I didn't have much in the rotation. I think I appreciate female leads more now. Although, this is another album I don't listen to much anymore.

John Cougar - American Fool

REM - Chronic Town (EP)

Replacements - Let It Be

Metallica - Kill 'em All

Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking

I was hoping for a less obvious list but, without a doubt that's my top 5. Nirvana - Bleach is easliy 5.01

Thriller (Michael Jackson)[/b] - Enjoyed the CD. Made the list mainly because of the topic title "Life Defining." Seven top ten singles and no other album/CD has ever come close to over 100 million sales.

I almost included Thriller in my list. It was the first album I bought with my own money, but in retrospect I bought it due to the hype, not the music.

2. Frank Zappa - Apostrophe (')...older brother gave me this on an 8-track tape for Christmas when I was about 13. I had never even heard of Frank. Put it in my closet for about a year and was rummaging around looking for something else and found it. Took the cellophane off and listened to the entire thing. Went out and started doing drugs the next day.

:wacko:

What's Going On (Marvin Gaye) - always a big Marvin Gaye fan. Loved the arrangement that the entire album blended into one continuous song.

That's the Way of the World (Earth, Wind & Fire) - Really began to enjoy listening to music when this came out in the seventies.

Gratitude (Earth, Wind & Fire) - One of the better live albums. Although some songs were not live.

Songs in the Key of Life (Stevie Wonder) - Definitely ahead of his time. His newer music doesn't come close to this double album classic.

Thriller (Michael Jackson) - Enjoyed the CD. Made the list mainly because of the topic title "Life Defining." Seven top ten singles and no other album/CD has ever come close to over 100 million sales.

Nice list :wacko: but you're missing Sly and the Family Stone.

Life Defining? Hmmmm....I guess that would then span several decades now.

1. Emerson Lake & Palmer - Trilogy (1972)

This was the first 8 track that got extended play over and over again in the crawl space. I was very young, but it was my first introduction at a young age to rock. Any time I hear something from this album to this day, I go back to those days of playing the old electronic football game in a very dirty, and cramped storage space in the first house I remember.

2. Rush - 2112 (1976)

The first rock album I ever purchased. The house was full of Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, some Rolling Stones, and the Beatles...but when I bought my first album, I would lock myself in my room and crank this bad boy up and nothing else really mattered. Still wish they would remaster this bad boy. I guess you'll always remember the first vinyl you purchased with your own paper route money, huh?

3. REM - Fables of the Reconstruction (1985)

Around the time that I was graduating high school - I was a big fan of the band. Many others had no idea who these guys were and what they were, and I used this album as a way of introducing them to the melodies and raw nerve. This is their most stripped down production, and life defining that I had the great pleasure in covering a few of these with some college band mates. One of the favorite bands of all time.

4. Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (1991)

Out of college for a while, working in downtown Chicago. Had the great pleasure of seeing them in 91' at the Metro in Chicago. Say what you want about this band, and I'm not a big fan anymore, but Jimmy Chamberlain could bang em. Perhaps the most under rated drummer in history because when I saw him play, it was amazing. Maybe 400 people in the room the first time I saw them. This was probably the last of the harder bands that my tastes would allow.

5. The Jayhawks - Tomorrow The Green Grass (1995) - my first encounter with alt.country - my tastes began to mellow. Not sure what made me purchase this, I think it might have been their cover of Grand Funk Railroad's "Bad Time". From the first time I heard the acoustics and the harmonies of Olson and Louris, I knew there was a different type of sound that I could get into.

So many more really...including some already mentioned by others.

The Stone Roses self titled...

The Tragically Hip - Road Apples....

Camper Van Beethoven - Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart

Wilco - Yankee Foxtrot Hotel

Phish - Rift

and most recently LCD Soundsystem - all of these have great definitions in Milford.

Pink Floyd -

A. Dark Side of the Moon

B. Meddle

C. Animals

Rush - 2112

REM - Lifes Rich Pageant

Alice In Chains -

A. Dirt

B. Alice In Chains(3 legged dog)

Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual

Edited by major-tom

Been thinking about this thread since it started. I can't narrow the list down to less than 20. But there is one album way up there:

I was a 2nd year drum student, and I was just about getting the hang of keeping a 4/4 beat and some basic fills. My teacher said "OK, now bring in a cassette of anything and we'll work on learning the drum part."

"Anything??" I asked.

"Well, don't bring in any Rush!"

So I went home, snuck into my sister's record collection and listed to her vinyl of Exit. . Stage Left.

And it. . .was. . . on.