[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints D being busted for bounty program

rajncajn

Tbimm just earned his Elton John glasses in this thread.

Thank You very much. I was wondering what it would take. Thak God I have some sidework tomorrow and decent weather. This fishing stuff is for the birds. :rofl:

Seriously, which post was it? Or was it the body of work as a whole?

Edited by tbimm

For the record I think Williams should be banned for life but the Bounty Gate is only the final nail in the coffin. He has much greater infractions in my mind. Making Lynch and Alex Smith look like future hall of famers in consecutive play-off seasons is far worse than any of this.

My memory fails me more as I age, but haven't we heard about other coaches doing this? Do I misremember, or didn't Buddy Ryan have an issue with this, and others too that no longer come to mind. That is not to excuse or justify, but a true question with my recall and I know you have a depth of knowledge. I seem to remember Forrest Gregg encouraging this with the Packers as their coach. I also seem to believe that perhaps George Halas had an issue with this that made it out into the football public.

Me, I was raised on honor and sportsmanship and there was, and remains, a close, but very distinct line between aggressive and physical play on the one hand and dirty play on the other. I do not believe todays players subscribe to my believes on the subject. If the league punishes the Saints in an attempt to teach what should have been taught in the home or in Pop Warner that is fine by me, and in fact I support that. I just do not think it will cahnge belief by the players and coaches, rather I believe it will merely assure that the matter remain an unspoken reality of the game.

Good points. But I'll stand by my opinion. Coaches who promote this kind of culture in their teams have no place in the game. I think that has to be especially true as the NFL embarks on a defense of itself in the face of claims that they don't have sufficient concern for player safety. To have coaches aiming their players at opponents with intent to injure is not what the NFL needs - on the field or in the courtroom.

Thank You very much. I was wondering what it would take. Thak God I have some sidework tomorrow and decent weather. This fishing stuff is for the birds. :rofl:

Seriously, which post was it? Or was it the body of work as a whole?

No singular post could earn the Elton John glasses. This is a body of work award.

I think that this happens a lot more than you would like to believe and apparently so do actual NFL players.

This is probably true. We heard many similar stories when Vick was labeled the dog killer. It was common knowledge that other NFL players were doing similar things. I'm sure that the league would be satisfied to find one sacrificial lamb to tear down without having players and coaches from 20 other teams getting exposed for doing the same.

Let us not forget the cheap shot that started Peyton Manning's neck problems...

Against who? A 2006 Greg Williams defense.

How much do you think Phillip Daniels made for that hit?

I've always wondered if this was the play that started his neck problems. I've never seen anyone confirm that though. Have you? It was a bush league play.

What about Payton? It's been written that he knew about it and did nothing. Ultimately it's his team right?

You need to quote the whole post or it is completely out of context.

To answer anyhow... Hell no Payton stays. He is one of the primary reasons the Saints score 30 something points a game.

You need to quote the whole post or it is completely out of context.

To answer anyhow... Hell no Payton stays. He is one of the primary reasons the Saints score 30 something points a game.

:lol: Agreed.

Not that it makes a complete difference, but my question in regards to Loomis & Payton is how much they knew & if they did in fact tell GW to cut out the program. Did they just know that there was a performance incentive program or did they know that bounties were included. Also, were the bounties a regular part of this performance incentive or were those isolated incidents? Still a lot of questions to be answered here, but I'm betting that the NFL will do like they did in Spygate and make a swift judgement & then burn the evidence.

For the record I think Williams should be banned for life

What about Payton? It's been written that he knew about it and did nothing. Ultimately it's his team right?

[elton] heck no, he's still with the team! let's stay focused on the patsy williams here. [/elton]

:lol: Agreed.

Not that it makes a complete difference, but my question in regards to Loomis & Payton is how much they knew & if they did in fact tell GW to cut out the program. Did they just know that there was a performance incentive program or did they know that bounties were included. Also, were the bounties a regular part of this performance incentive or were those isolated incidents? Still a lot of questions to be answered here, but I'm betting that the NFL will do like they did in Spygate and make a swift judgement & then burn the evidence.

They would be foolish to have participated in releasing the information were they not ready to react. What good could come from starting a damaging story without having the end already written?

Didn't the Packers get caught doing something similar, though not as bad, several years back?

What I remember is not them getting "caught", but freely admitting to, and some even boasting about the practice during the Forrest Gregg era, so if by a few years back you mean several decades, and if by getting "caught" you mean freely admitting, then yes. Of course you could be referring to another incident with the Packers that just doesn't come to mind right now.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Didn't the Packers get caught doing something similar, though not as bad, several years back?

Maybe you're talking about when the Packers charged that the Vikings were tampering with Favre. The Packers said that they gave Favre e cell phone and their cell phone records indicated several calls to Childress and Bevell. The packers denied that Favre even had a team issued cell phone when it it was learned that it would be a salary cap infraction.

For the record I think Williams should be banned for life but the Bounty Gate is only the final nail in the coffin. He has much greater infractions in my mind. Making Lynch and Alex Smith look like future hall of famers in consecutive play-off seasons is far worse than any of this.

Ok. I'm quoting the entire post and all I'm taking from it was the D played badly against the Hawks and let a mediocre QB beat them AND was part of these new allegations, so he should be banned.

Payton was also part of these allegations but his side of the ball played well , so he can stay lol. Got it

Maybe you're talking about when the Packers charged that the Vikings were tampering with Favre. The Packers said that they gave Favre e cell phone and their cell phone records indicated several calls to Childress and Bevell. The packers denied that Favre even had a team issued cell phone when it it was learned that it would be a salary cap infraction.

Maybe talking about Packer players having numbers on towel of Bear players they were "targeting". Also Charles Martin body slamming Jim Mcmahon.

Maybe talking about Packer players having numbers on towel of Bear players they were "targeting". Also Charles Martin body slamming Jim Mcmahon.

Yea I was watching that game when mcMahon got slammed. That fired everybody up.

That would have been during the Forrest Gregg era nearly 30 years ago. Also, as I remember it was Martin and maybe one other who had the numbers on their towels which is why I noted they boasted of the behavior. When Martin body slammed McMahon a good second or two after the play was over and a good two seconds after the ball was out it was the dirtiest play I had ever seen. I was pleased that he paid a price and that hedid not remain on the Packers roster the next year. I was further pleased that this sped the demise of Forrest Gregg's tenure.

Ditka was an CHEETO. His style was to rub people's noses in dirt. McMahon often crossed the line between free spirit and jerk. If anybody had it coming they did. Here's the thing though, nobody has it coming. Not in a sporting event. Not simply because the opponentis better, or exhibits poor sportsmanship, or bragadoccio. This remains a stain on Packer history. It would be a bigger stain except Packer fans and the team recognized the wrongfulness of the conduct and did not try to rationalize it or justify it.

BTW I smiled when it happened then realized immediately that the journeyman Martin had just stained the Packer legacy.

I've always wondered if this was the play that started his neck problems. I've never seen anyone confirm that though. Have you? It was a bush league play.

I guess Tony Dungy mentioned that play with the Redskins as the possible source of Manning's neck problems. Interesting. I wonder if he knows this, or was just guessing, as I was. It was a nasty hit.

FWIW, I don't think Williams or the Saints should recieve any way over the top punishment here. I just found it amusing that 2 of the biggest Saints fans here think it's ok to ban Williams from the game since he's moved on/sucked while Payton gets a walk

How did I get thrown into this: All I said was the Rams should fire him. :shrug: I'm still unsure on banning, though if he were to get canned from St Louis then I think it will be extremely difficult for him to find another job in the NFL.

What I remember is not them getting "caught", but freely admitting to, and some even boasting about the practice during the Forrest Gregg era, so if by a few years back you mean several decades, and if by getting "caught" you mean freely admitting, then yes. Of course you could be referring to another incident with the Packers that just doesn't come to mind right now.

All I remembered was the issue of bounties coming up in recent years & that the Packers were involved, nothing more really.

Here's the article FWIW