[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Saints D being busted for bounty program

rajncajn

Does anyone else find it strangely ironic that the NFL Players bond together as a form of brotherhood on so many fronts, yet are so selfish in that they would participate in a reward-based program incentivized by they potential injury they cause one of their brothers?

Honestly, as long as it's not deemed a dirty hit (going for the knees, etc) then I think they see it as part of the risk you take for playing the game and being in that brotherhood.

I don't think anyone expects you to say anything. but you also don't need to come with the weak rationalizations, minimalizations, complaining about being singled out, etc.

the convergence of factors here...hoo boy, it is going to be ugly for your team:

1) they were specifically warned about this by the league, and continued doing it

2) the league is cracking down hard on borderline hits and such

3) the whole CTE thing, former players dying, lawsuits accusing the league of not doing enough looming as a very real threat

4) it sounds like the saints organization have been pr!cks toward the league office quite regularly in recent years

5) bounties specifically for causing injury

much as you and rajn would like it to be otherwise, your team is all alone in this maelstrom, because whatever other teams may or may not be doing or may have done in the past, none of these extenuating factors exist anywhere else. in particular, the fact that the league specifically came to them about cutting it out a couple years ago, and it sounds like they basically blew it off with a shrug and an "eff you". that is a conscious choice, and it reflects on the owner, GM and HC as well as the departed DC. they, as an organization from top to bottom, did something really, really stupid and they are rightly going to get hammered for it.

I think rajn and I have admitted that the Saints situation can't compare to the rest of the league as the rest of the league has not been proven to have coaches participating in the bounty issue.

The point trying to be made here is that with all the former players and even some current players saying this is common practice then let's go ahead and go after the other players who are doing it and put the hammer to them as well. What is so wrong with that thinking?

I understand the people who say, it's not a big deal, they're just being paid to do what they'd do anyway, it's the same as stickers at lower levels, etc. I get all of that, but it's beside the point here. the league said this stuff can't happen a long time ago and made sure everyone got the memo. then they found out the saints were still doing it a couple years ago, and told them nicely and directly to cease and desist. now this is strike three.

it's like if you're doing an NCAA pool in your office, and your boss tells everyone that we can't do NCAA pools, they are henceforth against company policy. then a few years later they find out you are still doing a bracket, and they remind you that they are against company policy. when they catch you doing it again the next year, the chit is probably going to hit the fan, particularly if your company is dealing with outside pressures to crack down on "office gambling". it really doesn't have much to do with the fact that NCAA brackets are some horrible crime against humanity. it's the fact that your actions are hurting the public perception of the organization, and you've been told time and again to stop and you blew it off.

I understand the people who say, it's not a big deal, they're just being paid to do what they'd do anyway, it's the same as stickers at lower levels, etc. I get all of that, but it's beside the point here. the league said this stuff can't happen a long time ago and made sure everyone got the memo. then they found out the saints were still doing it a couple years ago, and told them nicely and directly to cease and desist. now this is strike three.

it's like if you're doing an NCAA pool in your office, and your boss tells everyone that we can't do NCAA pools, they are henceforth against company policy. then a few years later they find out you are still doing a bracket, and they remind you that they are against company policy. when they catch you doing it again the next year, the chit is probably going to hit the fan, particularly if your company is dealing with outside pressures to crack down on "office gambling". it really doesn't have much to do with the fact that NCAA brackets are some horrible crime against humanity. it's the fact that your actions are hurting the public perception of the organization, and you've been told time and again to stop and you blew it off.

Finally some common ground. No arguments with that at all. Edited by rajncajn

Honestly, as long as it's not deemed a dirty hit (going for the knees, etc) then I think they see it as part of the risk you take for playing the game and being in that brotherhood.

Agreed in that regard...

but when former NFL'ers (Golic, for example) go on air stating they played with reward-systems that ramped up the value of the reward based on whether the guy missed a down, a series, or the rest of the game...then intent-to-injure seems to be at the core of how much they get paid. You can tackle a guy cleanly, or you can tackle a guy with the intent of allowing your full weight and momentum to totally crush the dude and knock him out of the game (or in Manning and Warner's case, our of the league permanently).

I just find it curious that behind the united front the players often show, that any would participate in a program that would reward a player for potentially ending another's career.

And we fans may be the biggest hipocrates of them all...we can easily in hindsight chastize the Saints for their barbaric behavior, but I would guess 99% of us are the one's on Sunday screaming with joy, "Man, whatta hit!!!"

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

And now Brees is upset by being Franchised and is threatening to hold out. Yikes...

Exclusive: Drew Brees comments to WWL Radio about franchise tender

by Kristian Garic, posted Mar 6 2012 12:59PM

Kristian@wwl.com

Concerning the latest on the franchise tag and a long-term deal for quarterback Drew Brees, I've heard directly from #9 himself and from members of his camp.

I texted Drew today with the question, "It is being reported that you have expressed that you will not sign your franchise tender. Is that true?" Drew's direct response: "I am reserving all comments and discussions with the Saints directly."

Meanwhile, I also talked today to a person in the Drew Brees camp. Despite some online reports that Brees is “livid” about the franchise tag, that person says Drew still maintains optimism to work out a long-term deal with the Saints. I was told by that person that Brees will go through the process of the tag and hopes to sign a new deal before July 15th.

His camp and the Saints are still talking. Brees has until April 16 to decide if he'll sign the franchise tender if he wants to be able to attend organized team activities.

One more final thing about the Saints bounty issue is this. When the Saints won the Super Bowl, it was a "Feel Good" about the City of New Orleans and how the Saints made the city feel proud once again after the area was hit with the flood. That was then.

Now of course, it seems like a completely different story.

One more final thing about the Saints bounty issue is this. When the Saints won the Super Bowl, it was a "Feel Good" about the City of New Orleans and how the Saints made the city feel proud once again after the area was hit with the flood. That was then.

Not for me. You miss the mark there. I will always remember that night with nothing but joy and pride. The feeling in the French Quarter after the game and at the victory parade will never be taken from any of us because of this BS.

And that's one of the main parts that is so difficult to stomach. Whether you believe this gave the Saints any kind of advantage or not, it will forever put a gloom over what they accomplished that year and whatever respect the franchise gained over that Superbowl season, they have just lost it in a lot of peoples eyes ten-fold.

I know this is probably, again, homerish conspiracy theory, but I do firmly believe that there are a lot of people both in the media & in the league that were loathe to see the Saints succeeding and are now reveling in their misery.

And that's one of the main parts that is so difficult to stomach. Whether you believe this gave the Saints any kind of advantage or not, it will forever put a gloom over what they accomplished that year and whatever respect the franchise gained over that Superbowl season, they have just lost it in a lot of peoples eyes ten-fold.

I know this is probably, again, homerish conspiracy theory, but I do firmly believe that there are a lot of people both in the media & in the league that were loathe to see the Saints succeeding and are now reveling in their misery.

For the record, I enjoyed watching Brees celebrating with his kid on the field. That was a magical moment.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I will still bleed black and gold and I hope the Saints kick the shit out of every team they play this season.

There go your sunglasses

Joint statement released by Loomis & Payton:

For Immediate Release: March 6, 2012

We acknowledge that the violations disclosed by the NFL during their investigation of our club happened under our watch. We take full responsibility.

This has brought undue hardship on Mr. Benson, who had nothing to do with this activity. He has been nothing but supportive and for that we both apologize to him.

These are serious violations and we understand the negative impact it has had on our game. Both of us have made it clear within our organization that this will never happen again, and make that same promise to the NFL and most importantly to all of our fans.

Mickey Loomis & Sean Payton

http://www.twitplus.co.uk/t/vwi

The swelling pot of money at the center of this circus reportedly spiked before their January 2010 NFC title game against the Vikings, when Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma allegedly offered $10,000 to anyone who knocked quarterback Brett Favre out of the game.

Saints defensive linemen Bobby McCray and Anthony Hargrove accounted for multiple penalties and $25,000 in fines for vicious hits on Favre in that 31-28 overtime win, and, as Favre was helped off the field with a sprained ankle, a fired-up Hargrove jawed with teammates, proclaiming: "Favre is out of the game! Favre is done! Favre is done!"

King reports that, amid the chaos, an on-field microphone caught an unidentified Saints defender shouting, "Pay me my money!"

hey, stay classy saints! :tup:

considering the timing of when this was at its ugliest (the 2009 playoffs), you're delusional if you think this doesn't take a lot of the shine off their super bowl victory. reading the quote above makes my blood boil. in my eyes now, the saints are a dirty, disgraceful team. bottom of the barrel in pro sports. :tdown:

considering the timing of when this was at its ugliest (the 2009 playoffs), you're delusional if you think this doesn't take a lot of the shine off their super bowl victory. reading the quote above makes my blood boil. in my eyes now, the saints are a dirty, disgraceful team. bottom of the barrel in pro sports. :tdown:

You mean the same way San Franciso players were celebrating and hi-fiving on the sideline while Pierre Thomas laid unconscious on the field?

I guess it wouldn't help to tell you that quote by Hargrove was taken completely out of context? I bet not... Maybe if they actually played it.

I heard on NFL Live today that the league has audio of an unnamed Saints player yelling " Favres out! Where's my money!" as he was being helped off. Crazy chit right there..

I heard on NFL Live today that the league has audio of an unnamed Saints player yelling " Favres out! Where's my money!" as he was being helped off. Crazy chit right there..

How clear is the audio. Perhaps whoever it was, maybe even a ref, was saying "Far out! There's some honey!" while looking at one of the Saints hot cheerleaders.

You mean the same way San Franciso players were celebrating and hi-fiving on the sideline while Pierre Thomas laid unconscious on the field?

I guess it wouldn't help to tell you that quote by Hargrove was taken completely out of context? I bet not... Maybe if they actually played it.

pay me my money!

keep defending it :tup:

I know this is coming from a completely biased place, but the nfc championship game with all the cheap shots on Favre and horrible officiating left me feeling like those thoughts while it was happening and not until after they were officially busted.

Jan 24, 2012 1:43pm

Did Giants Target Concussion-Prone 49er?

The New York Giants targeted San Francisco 49er Kyle Williams in Sunday’s National Football Conference championship game because of his concussion history, according to two Giants players.

Williams, a wide receiver and punt returner, took a big hit from in the third-quarter and went on to have two fumbles, including the overtime slip that cost his team the game.

“He’s had a lot of concussions,” Giants wide receiver Devin Thomas told the Newark Star Ledger. “We were just like, ‘We gotta put a hit on that guy.’” Thomas went on to praise safety Tyler Sash for landing the dizzying hit. “Sash did a great job hitting [Williams] early, and he looked kind of dazed when he got up. I feel like that made a difference, and he coughed it up.”

Jacquian Williams, the Giants linebacker who forced the second fumble, said Williams’ previous concussions prompted the hard hit.

“The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest thing, was to take him outta the game,” he told reporters after the game.

This is different?