[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Words With Friends Tournament #3 - Who's In?

Gopher

Yes, but he PM'ed it to me so I'm assuming he doesn't want it posted publicly.

No worries. I would play any Huddler if they are ever bored. I haven't played in a while after a week or two straight of getting put through the ringer by DMD and Cap'n.

rdh154

Looks like peepin and I are headed to a tiebreaker. funny because he beat me by about 400 in one game. sorry so slow, but I'm currently working 90 hour work weeks.

Yeah that was the most Ive ever scored, FYI. :lol:

Our 2nd game isnt over yet! Though its a longshot for me. :(

Updated:

1 Dug (bye) vs 16 MikesVikes

25 rhippens vs 26 Irish

4 Mrs. Gopher vs 13 Rajn / 20 Tbone

5 DMD vs 12 SheikYerbuti / 21 Peepinmofo

2 CapNGrunge vs 18 Whomper

7 Avernus vs 10 Gopher

3 Dirty Sanchez vs 19 Scooby

6 Tonorator vs 22 Scooby's Hubby

Edited by Gopher

I beat Dirty Sanchez by a mere 3 points in out tiebreaker. He was ahead of me when I played my final 3 tiles, so whatever he was stuck with were added to my score. That was really a fun game, he's an incredible player too:)

Great games Scooby! That tiebreaker was an awesome strategic game. I just couldn't use my last two tiles on my last word and was stuck with 3 points. It gave you 3 and took 3 away from me. That was the difference. I knew that was going to kill me and just hoped you couldn't use all your tiles. Oh well....good luck!

Irish & I are in a rubber match.

If anyone wants to learn some new words, he's the guy to play.

Just don't ask me what they mean. Our games have been great! I won the first game by 32 pts and Rhip won the second game by 31 pts.

Just don't ask me what they mean. Our games have been great! I won the first game by 32 pts and Rhip won the second game by 31 pts.

If you don't know what they mean, how do you know that they're words? :huh:

Edited by Hugh 0ne

I'll be really honest. I nearly resigned after you played oolachan this morning. I'm gonna finish this game and take my loss like a man, but you've played about a dozen words that I have never even seen before. I can expect one or two per match, buy I find it hard to believe you just guessed your way to oolachan or qanat.

If you don't know what they mean, how do you know that they're words? :huh:

The first thing I do when I get my 7 letters is a try all different combinations using the 7 letters and what's on the board and keep hitting play. If it goes through, awesome + 35 extra points. If it doesn't, I scale it down until I'm forced to use a smaller word. I've ended up using words I never thought would work and certainly don't know, like aarrgh, achoo, oolachan, manward, dauts, edemas, saddhu, milneb, cowage, bovines, juntos, paucity, foetal, totterers, hoise, fleys, durns, ohias, qanat, etc. I think just putting anything down and seeing if it goes through makes the game even more fun instead of only using what you know and can see. Why not guess and check, it certainly can't hurt as the worst that happens is you get told that it's not a word. I'm kinda shocked that more people don't do this. It's really not hard to do and actually takes less time and thought than if I actually sat there trying to construct words I did know, which of course I also do. It also helps that I'm a teacher who has been put through many language based trainings/programs (Wilson, Orton Gillingham, Corrective Reading, etc.) which focus on word study and understanding/mastering word patterns. It's what I teach.

Edited by irish

I'll be really honest. I nearly resigned after you played oolachan this morning. I'm gonna finish this game and take my loss like a man, but you've played about a dozen words that I have never even seen before. I can expect one or two per match, buy I find it hard to believe you just guessed your way to oolachan or qanat.

Well, I'm really glad that you didn't cause we've had some great games and I expect the same for our rubber match.

Avernus took me down in a clean sweep, 382-374 and 360-308. I trailed the whole way in both, literally from his first play on. Basically caught him in the first game, and was shocked to see him skip his turn, when I only had 3-4 letters left. I got to within single digits, but absolutely could not find a place to play my very last letter (and "L"). Tried every spot and combination I could think of, but not a single one worked. Had to pass, and he then finished the game. I knew that was my chance to try to force a split. :bash:

The second game was a blowout from the start... I kept thinking I might get an opening to play something big, but it just never happened. Hats off to him, as he simply didn't leave me many options, while taking advantage of some very nice ones himself. This isn't an excuse, but I find it much harder to do well at this game when I don't have a lot of time on my hands. Played a lot of the first tournament while traveling (sitting in the car, at the airport, etc.), where it's easy to take your time and explore options. This week, I've been working a ton, and don't find much time to play... So, in an effort to keep things moving, I found myself sometimes just playing something, without thoroughly looking for a better option.

That's not to take anything away from Avernus... Part of the reason I felt like I sometimes didn't take enough time was that it seemed like his game to win, from the start. Not that he was getting the right letters, necessarily, but rather that he seemed determined to get revenge for the last time we played. :) In other words, he didn't waste a single move, while I felt like I might have, a couple of times.

The ironic thing about this game, and how much time one spends at it, is that I got accused of cheating because I was taking too much time in between turns. As if, when I don't play for a few hours, it's because I'm frantically scouring a cheat website. :wacko: And people sometimes wonder why they get labeled as a nuckin' futjob. :blink:

Good games, Avernus. You were clearly the better player.... This time. ;)

Avernus took me down in a clean sweep, 382-374 and 360-308. I trailed the whole way in both, literally from his first play on. Basically caught him in the first game, and was shocked to see him skip his turn, when I only had 3-4 letters left. I got to within single digits, but absolutely could not find a place to play my very last letter (and "L"). Tried every spot and combination I could think of, but not a single one worked. Had to pass, and he then finished the game. I knew that was my chance to try to force a split. :bash:

The second game was a blowout from the start... I kept thinking I might get an opening to play something big, but it just never happened. Hats off to him, as he simply didn't leave me many options, while taking advantage of some very nice ones himself. This isn't an excuse, but I find it much harder to do well at this game when I don't have a lot of time on my hands. Played a lot of the first tournament while traveling (sitting in the car, at the airport, etc.), where it's easy to take your time and explore options. This week, I've been working a ton, and don't find much time to play... So, in an effort to keep things moving, I found myself sometimes just playing something, without thoroughly looking for a better option.

That's not to take anything away from Avernus... Part of the reason I felt like I sometimes didn't take enough time was that it seemed like his game to win, from the start. Not that he was getting the right letters, necessarily, but rather that he seemed determined to get revenge for the last time we played. :) In other words, he didn't waste a single move, while I felt like I might have, a couple of times.

The ironic thing about this game, and how much time one spends at it, is that I got accused of cheating because I was taking too much time in between turns. As if, when I don't play for a few hours, it's because I'm frantically scouring a cheat website. :wacko: And people sometimes wonder why they get labeled as a nuckin' futjob. :blink:

Good games, Avernus. You were clearly the better player.... This time. ;)

I think taking a while between playing one's words means you're thinking and strategizing, not cheating...it's the people that rattle off big play obscure words almost instantly that make me wonder. I looked online and found these images of scrabble championship boards: (some obscure words, but not an inordinate amount...many I've seen played in wwf, the others I will have to memorize):

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2009/10/uk-scrabble-championship-final-board.html

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2011/10/scrabble-championship-final-board.html

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2011/10/scrabble-championship-final-board.html

I think taking a while between playing one's words means you're thinking and strategizing, not cheating...it's the people that rattle off big play obscure words almost instantly that make me wonder. I looked online and found these images of scrabble championship boards: (some obscure words, but not an inordinate amount...many I've seen played in wwf, the others I will have to memorize):

Exactly.

I think just putting anything down and seeing if it goes through makes the game even more fun instead of only using what you know and can see. Why not guess and check, it certainly can't hurt as the worst that happens is you get told that it's not a word. I'm kinda shocked that more people don't do this.

I think most people enjoy putting their skills up against someone else's. Your approach takes skill out of it and introduces luck. To each his own. My opinion is that its not enjoyable to know that someone is pulling words out of their butt.

Keened

Haen

Tenius

Bight

Slatch

Trigon

Nitons

Admixt

Trokes

Qanat

Velaria

Burked

Spurge

Oolachan

In two and a half games? That's not fun to me.

I think most people enjoy putting their skills up against someone else's. Your approach takes skill out of it and introduces luck. To each his own. My opinion is that its not enjoyable to know that someone is pulling words out of their butt.

Keened - easy call

Haen - luck

Tenius - ten and the endings of ious, us, ios, ius easy to see

Bight - bright minus the r - simple

Slatch - snatch minus the n - my favorite

Trigon - sounds like a shape tri and gon as in octagon, hexagon...ala trigon

Nitons - luck, but neutron

Admixt - admit with an x and i'm always looking to play an x

Trokes - this was luck but tr goes together es for the plural and my only other vowel was o

Qanat - luck

Velaria - i had a student with the exact name this past year

Burked - easy call

Spurge - easy call

Oolachan - absolute luck and i laughed my ass off when it was accepted.

In two and a half games? That's not fun to me.

I hear ya. But definitely to each is own. I love when I can slap on the board some ridiculous combinations and it works. Sometimes it works but many more times it does not. I play a lot since I've started and have seen a ton of words and have learned how to play differently. I love this game! If you look at many of the words you listed they look just like regular words with a letter(s) added or missing. Maybe I can just see things differently. Regardless, great games!

I hear ya. But definitely to each is own. I love when I can slap on the board some ridiculous combinations and it works. Sometimes it works but many more times it does not. I play a lot since I've started and have seen a ton of words and have learned how to play differently. I love this game! If you look at many of the words you listed they look just like regular words with a letter(s) added or missing. Maybe I can just see things differently. Regardless, great games!

I'm smart enough to know that bright without an r is Bight. I get it. I just don't think its enjoyable to play that way. Don't care man. My last words on it.

For Irish, my wife learned Orton Gillingham approach as well. I play her in WWF constantly and before that scrabble on fb. She is pretty good but I still beat her 50-60 % of the time. I do plug and play as well but have never had a 7 letter word from it work. I think it's about 90% fail rate so it must be frustrating to keep trying.

Edited by MikesVikes

For Irish, my wife learned Orton Gillingham approach as well. I play her in WWF constantly and before that scrabble on fb. She is pretty good but I still beat her 50-60 % of the time. I do plug and play as well but have never had a 7 letter word from it work. I think it's about 90% fail rate so it must be frustrating to keep trying.

It absolutely is but these days, I've got nothing but time. Do you find the plug and play fun to execute?

irish, you are full of cap. that's crap without the r.

That's awesome! Played with all 7 letters, which gets me 35 extra pts!! Winner, winner, organic, free-roaming, hormone-free, chicken dinner. With a good ol' fashioned :irishwink: included ---> :shades:

tone and I have some good games just beginning. frankly, his vocabulary is better than mine, but I have learned several strategies, both offensive and defensive for this game, plus I remember many of the nonsense words like umm, etc.. Most likely he will be able to make more happen with his tiles in crucial tijmes, I just hope to be able to make the most of my big point tiles and keep it close til the end.