[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What players are you guys going to pay special attention to during the pre-season?

bostonsoxandy

Every year there are a few players I watch very closely during training camp/pre-season time.

This year I have three in mind already:

Doug Martin -- I've read that he is already a three-down back that can be plugged in right away, and Greg Schiano intends to do just that. I'm skeptical yet intrigued. Ryan Mathews and Mark Ingram both burned me badly as highly touted rookies and I don't want to fall victim to rookie hype again. However, he isn't like those two in style of play. Several writers have thrown around Ray Rice as an NFL-comparison. I'll watch him closely to see how versatile he is in the passing game and how effectively he can block when Freeman is throwing.

Ryan Williams -- He was drafted to replace Beanie Wells a year ago and missed the season with a torn ACL. I'm not buying what Beanie did last year as the real Beanie Wells. I don't like the four fumbles last year and how inflated his stats are because of his 228 yds/8.4 average game against STL. He also finished the season terribly, averaging 3.4, 1.8, 3.4, and 3.8 YPC in his last four games. I think if Ryan Williams is legit, which we will see in the pre-season he will claim the starting job by 8 games and provide tremendous value compared to his draft position.

Demaryius Thomas/Eric Decker -- Peyton Manning will make atleast one Broncos wide-receiver top-10. The question for me is which one, Decker or Thomas. I think that Thomas has shown a lot of talent with little of it at QB last year, especially in the playoff game against PIT, and could post monster numbers. But I don't think he can grasp the Manning's complex audibles quickly enough. He ran a triple option at Georgia Tech and then had a very non-conventional Tebow offense when he was effective. When Orton was QB and ran a conventional system, it was Decker, not Thomas, that shined. I'll let someone else draft Demaryius if it doesn't look like he is clicking with Manning and bank on Decker to be Manning's go-to-guy. But if Thomas gets the system down from the beginning, I'd venture to say he could flirt with top-5.

Who are you guys going to be watching? Feel free to share your thoughts on these guys as well.

Edited by bostonsoxandy

Roy Helu. I have already stated that I believe Helu will emerge as the feature back at some point during the season, even if it only means that he will have the most carries in a RBBC with Evan Royster. I have absolutely no faith in Tim Hightower or Ryan Torrain to perform well enough for the entire season to be fantasy relavant. Shanahan will probably form a RBBC with Hightower and Torrain then.

Matt Flynn

Jake Locker / Matt Hasselbeck competition

The Bucs' offense (Martin vs. Blount, who gets Winslow's targets, VJax)

The Lions' backfield situation

Kellen Davis (no more Martz - he could be a HUGE red zone guy... He was a beast at Michigan State, just landed in a bad situation with the Bears initially)

Kendall Wright

Jonathan Baldwin

David Wilson

I'm also really interested to see the Panthers backfield and how the use Stewart/Williams/Tolbert and Newton all together. Not really sure what role Tolbert plays in all of this.

I'm also really interested to see the Panthers backfield and how the use Stewart/Williams/Tolbert and Newton all together. Not really sure what role Tolbert plays in all of this.

Yep plenty of DWill & JStew owners waiting to see if things are different in 2012

Decker vs Thomas

Martin vs Blount

AP's health

how the targets get distributed in San Diego

Kellen Davis

Greg Olsen

Locker vs Hasselbeck

I would laugh at the comment about the kicker competition, but i will be watching kaeding vs novak because novak is on the waiver wire in my dynasty league so he could be an easy upgrade for my kicker spot

Johnathon Baldwin for the Chiefs. KC not extending Bowe tells me a couple of things:

1. They don't trust the jackass to play hard once he gets his money.

2. They want him to play hard because he's "disrespected" and is playing for a contract.

3. They expect Johnathon Baldwin to take a big leap forward.

Roy Helu. I have already stated that I believe Helu will emerge as the feature back at some point during the season, even if it only means that he will have the most carries in a RBBC with Evan Royster. I have absolutely no faith in Tim Hightower or Ryan Torrain to perform well enough for the entire season to be fantasy relavant. Shanahan will probably form a RBBC with Hightower and Torrain then.

Torain was cut a few months ago. Either way it will be a mess and I doubt we'll learn much from them in pre-season. Or really any team for that matter. Be surprised if any of the big names mentioned (Peyton, AP, Charles) play much at all.

The one rookie I want to see is T Richardson

Detroit #2 WR. I like the rookie Ryan Broyles, if he is healthy, to take the spot eventually. Also, I want to see how Crabtree does. I think this is the make or break for him. I am targeting him this year as a flyer. I think he may surprise.

Torain was cut a few months ago. Either way it will be a mess and I doubt we'll learn much from them in pre-season. Or really any team for that matter. Be surprised if any of the big names mentioned (Peyton, AP, Charles) play much at all.

The one rookie I want to see is T Richardson

I didn't know that. That has completely passed me by, but it is good news for the Redskins, even if Shanahan rehires him when Hightower gets injured :D

Detroit #2 WR. I like the rookie Ryan Broyles, if he is healthy, to take the spot eventually. Also, I want to see how Crabtree does. I think this is the make or break for him. I am targeting him this year as a flyer. I think he may surprise.

What about Titus Young, he lookd pretty good last year. Don't know much about the rookie Broyles and I have my doubts that Crabtree can do it.

Personally, no inside information here, I think Broyles IF healthy, has a higher upside that Young. Just my opinion and a hunch. As for Crabtree, then end of last seaosn he played well and now playing in the same system another year, and having Moss and Manningham, along with Davis, take attention away from him, he could have a good year. Not #1 WR, but #3 with the potential for #2. At this point, that is what I am looking for - a guy who may slip and who could outperform his draft posiiton.

Cutler with his new WR's and new Offense. A lot of people are expecting good things.

Kendell Hunter for dynasty. I think people have given up to early on Hunter because of the 49ers RB acquisitioins. I think he will be a hot commodity this time next year.

Might want to start paying more attention to Rashad Jennings.

Vereen

Dallas Cowboys WR Andre Holmes. 6'5", 208 lbs with a 4.5 - 40.

He should not make your fantasy team but it would be a thrill to see him take a step and make the team seeing as we only have 2 starting WRs.

Showed up out of shape and failed physical. Supposedly passed it today. :(