[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Bay TD - Offense or Special Teams Play

quest

OK then, define "special teams" in an iron-clad, there's $1000 on the line in the FF championships manner.

In the normal course of events in a game, If a team lines up in what is considered a "kicking game" formation, be it a punt, FG, or kickoff, it is a special teams play.

Now I'm sure there will be someone who can poke a hole in that somewhere, but for my money, that's my line of thought.

Edit to add "kicking game" extra points as well

Edited by Cunning Runt

Let me axe this - since people are saying the ball hasnt been kicked is an issue. If the punter muffs the snap - doesnt kick the ball and the other team picks it up and runs it in - is it defense or a special teams score??

Defensive TD

In the normal course of events in a game, If a team lines up in what is considered a "kicking game" formation, be it a punt, FG, or kickoff, it is a special teams play.

Now I'm sure there will be someone who can poke a hole in that somewhere, but for my money, that's my line of thought.

Edit to add "kicking game" extra points as well

So then the kicking of FG would give points to the special teams unit, right? Extra point kicks too, and 2 pt conversions?

Remember det said iron-clad, not open to many special circumstances and exceptions.

If you had Crabtree as your TE than he should get the points, but obviously GB special teams should also get created. Like others where saying, both units should get credit if it is some type of combination.

Personally I see no logic in scoring a play twice as some are suggesting. In the end it doesn't matter I suppose. If that is what your league does and everybody knows that, well then it is fair.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

WR's or RB's never get credited with returns for TD's, atleast in all the leagues I've played in. It always goes to the D/ST.

They do in 2 of the leagues I play in. All players can score for completions, incompletions, carries, sack yardage, and various other action that benefit or detract from their team either directly through the action or by enhancing/diminishing field position.

You're a good FFer. You ought to try one of these full IDP, complete contribution scoring leagues. They are a blast.

Back to the point at hand, this seems to me to be a pretty simple issue of using NFL designations per the rules to determine what kind of play occurred. To ignore the rules in order to completely change the nature of the play seems odd to me, but if a league chose to do so this was certainly a predictable play in that fake field goals and punts occur often enough that if the league is going to go directly against the NFL rulings that it ought to be codified in the league rules.

• Like 1

So then the kicking of FG would give points to the special teams unit, right? Extra point kicks too, and 2 pt conversions?

Remember det said iron-clad, not open to many special circumstances and exceptions.

I don't care what Detlef said for. We're talking fantasy football here - not by the book NFL football. How I view a Special Teams play and how I score it can be and are two different things.

I don't care what Detlef said for. We're talking fantasy football here - not by the book NFL football. How I view a Special Teams play and how I score it can be and are two different things.

Absolutely. You are definately entitled to make your scoring rules reflect how you view the game. The problem only arises when ones league rules did not forsee the situation. In that case I don't believe you should score it how you see it, but rather how the NFL does. It just seems less arbitrary to me to default to league rules when you have not affirmatively addressed a matter.

BTW, I do understand your position. It is not without some appeal.

Wait, are some leagues now drafting team defense and then team special teams as well?

I suppose some are, we do team defense only, no special team scoring. Indidual players do get credit for punt/kick return TDs (Hester, Cribbs, etc.)

That is fine, but how you define special teams scores needs to coincide with what your leauge does. When these dicussions come up there is usually a group of owners with the team D/ST (in this case GB) who think they should get the TD, when their leauge rules don't clearly state that. And since the NFL (the leauge who our fantasy game is based on) scores that as a OFF TD and not a ST TD, then these folks are out of luck.

Basically if you want this to be a ST score, put it in your rules, and you'll probably have to score it manually because the league management sites (even MFL presumably) doesn't count it that way.

ETA what DW said, absent this being specifically covered in your league's rules/scoring, it is an offensive TD, not a special teams TD.

Edited by stevegrab

Once the snaps Playtime Percentage is updated in the Game Book it will show that Masthay played in ONE offensive snap(11 total snaps, 1 offense, 10 ST)...there is your definitive answer.

EDIT: here is a copy of the gamebook (not available via NFL.com yet[which should be updated later today or tomorrow] Link {go to page 16, which is the last page})

EDIT2: It has been changed to a special teams play in game book

Edited by keggerz
  • Like 1

What does this have to do with IDP? No defensive players were on the field. In IDP nobody gets the points.

What it has to do with IDP is that you don't have to worry about stuff like this...everyone gets what they score, end of story

What does this have to do with IDP? No defensive players were on the field. In IDP nobody gets the points.

Because in IDP leagues points go to players and not units. If you had crabtree starting he gets those points. If you had Mastay starting he gets points. No worries about units, just players.

Absolutely. You are definately entitled to make your scoring rules reflect how you view the game. The problem only arises when ones league rules did not forsee the situation. In that case I don't believe you should score it how you see it, but rather how the NFL does. It just seems less arbitrary to me to default to league rules when you have not affirmatively addressed a matter.

BTW, I do understand your position. It is not without some appeal.

I agree wholeheartedly with my Cutler owning GB here. Oh - and one of those cigars was a great way to start my day off. Many thanks