[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Green Bay TD - Offense or Special Teams Play

quest

Keg, I believe your contact to be wrong, or at the least his choice is irrelevant to this discussion. What "type" of play does not change how the play is credited.

In the official stats, there is a pass completion and a reception for a touchdown. Those are not plays that can be achieved on special teams. The official scoring of the play is:

T.Crabtree 27 yd. pass from T.Masthay(M.Crosby kick) (12-80, 6:04)

It was a completed pass, so therefore not a special teams point scoring play in fantasy.

I can assure you, my source isn't wrong with this...but I did get further clarification

Why can't it be both? Seriously.

And further, the fact that a person from the NFL and pretty much all the guys on Sirius (heard another crew this morning reference the play as a special teams play) validates my belief that I saw a special teams play. And so you all think I'm nuts, I think likewise about the opposite opinion. If it's a special teams play, why not score it that way.

well it sorta is both ways...here is the clarification that I got...

My follow up question to him:

Will the game book be updated to show special teams TD?

His answer:

No, it was a rushing play.

For playtime, it's a special teams play. If a kicker is on the field, it's a special teams play for playtime. The only exception would be if he had a second position and was on the field for his second position. Tom Tupa was an example, P/QB.

So basically for recording the Playtime Percentages (snaps) it was a Special Teams play...

but from a scoring perspective it was an offensive play.

Nothing I've read in this thread has even vaguely come close to changing my mind on this.

The NFL guy is saying pretty much exactly what I am. It IS a special teams play, but there were offensive stats to be had as part of it so I believe that the offensive stats should be distributed accordingly, but also that those leagues that award pts for a special teams TD should get those too.

I'm done. This time I'm serious.........maybe.

The NFLs scoring and fantasy scoring should absolutely be two different things.

. I could care less how the NFL chooses to clasify it.

I don't care what Detlef said for. We're talking fantasy football here - not by the book NFL football.

And further, the fact that a person from the NFL and pretty much all the guys on Sirius (heard another crew this morning reference the play as a special teams play) validates my belief

The NFL guy is saying pretty much exactly what I am.

um...ok.

bottom line, if you want this sort of play to count as a special teams td in your league, who cares, its your league have fun with it. But i think by the responses in this thread, most leagues don't.

I can't believe we are still talking about this :shocking:

While conceptually it makes sense to me that it would be a special teams score given that the scoring play was designed for, practiced by and executed by the special teams unit - It seems clear that the NFL considers it an offensive TD regardless of what personnel are on the field.

Not sure why all the heated discussion ... fantasy leagues have the freedom to define whatever scoring rules they like. If you want your league to consider it a special teams TD then by all means set up your scoring rules that way.

As to my leagues we typically follow the NFL guidelines ... it is easier that way and is always supported by league software.

Nothing I've read in this thread has even vaguely come close to changing my mind on this.

The NFL guy is saying pretty much exactly what I am. It IS a special teams play, but there were offensive stats to be had as part of it so I believe that the offensive stats should be distributed accordingly, but also that those leagues that award pts for a special teams TD should get those too.

I'm done. This time I'm serious.........maybe.

No, the NFL guy absolutely did not back up your POV. He said that for recording purposes (i.e., so they can more easily look at things later without having to look at each individual play) it was a ST play, but for scoring purposes it was an offensive play.

Anyways, I know you can't be convinced once you have an opinion, so I won't beat this dead horse anymore. It still kind of baffles me that you won't even consider an alternative explanation than your preconceptions, but hey, that's the internet!

We have a rule in our UFF-DA league which addresses it:

A play is considered to be a Special Teams play if a kicker or a punter in on the field (except for point after touchdown plays). If a touchdown is scored in that play, 6 points (+ 4 pts if TD is 51 yards or more) will go to the team D/ST scoring the TD and to the player scoring the TD. If this is a passing TD, 4 points (+ 2 pts if TD is 51 yards or more) will also go to the player passing the TD pass.

Based upon that, as Commissioner I will be making a scoring adjustment in MFL to give the Packers D/ST points for the TD.

A play is considered to be a Special Teams play if a kicker or a punter in on the field (except for point after touchdown plays). If a touchdown is scored in that play, 6 points (+ 4 pts if TD is 51 yards or more) will go to the team D/ST scoring the TD and to the player scoring the TD. If this is a passing TD, 4 points (+ 2 pts if TD is 51 yards or more) will also go to the player passing the TD pass.

So a touchdown with a punter or kicker is on the field is worth twice as much as any other touchdown.

That doesn't make any sense to me.

6+6=12 point touchdown

What am I missing?

6pts for the D/ST and 6 pts for the player does not equal any one FF roster slot getting 12pts. But hey, in my math, there'd be 18pts spread around 'cause the passer, receiver, AND D/ST all would have gotten 6pts awarded.

I can't believe we are still talking about this :shocking:

While conceptually it makes sense to me that it would be a special teams score given that the scoring play was designed for, practiced by and executed by the special teams unit - It seems clear that the NFL considers it an offensive TD regardless of what personnel are on the field.

Not sure why all the heated discussion ... fantasy leagues have the freedom to define whatever scoring rules they like. If you want your league to consider it a special teams TD then by all means set up your scoring rules that way.

As to my leagues we typically follow the NFL guidelines ... it is easier that way and is always supported by league software.

Very good points. One thing I have been trying to say from the beginning is that absent any specific ruels in your league (text constitution/by-laws or actual scoring rules on the league site) this should not be considered a special teams TD, specifically because the NFL calls it an offensive TD and all (or most) fantasy sites will score it as such (and not a ST TD).

Heck some leagues have punters, coaches and other strange things. Score 4 or 6 for passing TDs, bonuses for long TD, etc. Doesn't make them wrong, but does require them to be thoroughly spelled out.

I don't think CR is wrong, unless he is saying this should be scored as a ST TD even if your rules don't say that.

This is like one of those threads "should this trade be vetoed" where have of the posts get bogged down in debating whether you should allow trades to be vetoed, which has nothing to do with the question. Too many trying to weigh in on how stupid your league is for allowing (or not allowing) something that others think is basic (like IDP, or PPR).

We have a rule in our UFF-DA league which addresses it:

Based upon that, as Commissioner I will be making a scoring adjustment in MFL to give the Packers D/ST points for the TD.

Very well spelled out rule, no doubt the owner of the GB D/ST in your league was expecting those 6 points since that is part of the rules.

Very good points. One thing I have been trying to say from the beginning is that absent any specific ruels in your league (text constitution/by-laws or actual scoring rules on the league site) this should not be considered a special teams TD, specifically because the NFL calls it an offensive TD and all (or most) fantasy sites will score it as such (and not a ST TD).

Heck some leagues have punters, coaches and other strange things. Score 4 or 6 for passing TDs, bonuses for long TD, etc. Doesn't make them wrong, but does require them to be thoroughly spelled out.

I don't think CR is wrong, unless he is saying this should be scored as a ST TD even if your rules don't say that.

This is like one of those threads "should this trade be vetoed" where have of the posts get bogged down in debating whether you should allow trades to be vetoed, which has nothing to do with the question. Too many trying to weigh in on how stupid your league is for allowing (or not allowing) something that others think is basic (like IDP, or PPR).

I just think it's fun having lively debate. Probably my fault this has gone on as long as it has.

6pts for the D/ST and 6 pts for the player does not equal any one FF roster slot getting 12pts.

I didn't say that it did.

A TD is 6 points. I understand that there are ff points that can go along with that TD (passing, rushing, reception . . .). But the TD itself is worth 6 points.

In the example, if a punter or placekicker is on the field, the TD itself is worth 12 points. That's what doesn't make sense to me.