[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Official SB thread...

tazinib1

Fade on the two point conversion.

Fade on fourth down.

Epic fail by Jim Harbaugh. 4 plays to get eight yards? I'd have been in the pistol or that full house pistol every single damn play. Instead they run a sprint out? And a fade? Horrible.

Why change everything that got you down there in the first place?????

Edited by CaptainHook

Fade on fourth down.

Epic fail by Jim Harbaugh. 4 plays to get eight yards? I'd have been in the pistol or that full house pistol every single damn play. Instead they run a sprint out? And a fade? Horrible.

Over-thinking possibly

why wouldn't all the holding in the endzone on the safety play kill the clock? Once there is a hold in the endzone and the ball carrier ins in the endzone, then the play is over and it is a safety. How come it wasn't?

why wouldn't all the holding in the endzone on the safety play kill the clock? Once there is a hold in the endzone and the ball carrier ins in the endzone, then the play is over and it is a safety. How come it wasn't?

It's not a dead ball foul. It does create a safety, unless coach declines penalty which he wouldn't because he'd lose more time.

Initially I did not think the 4th down was a hold/illegal contact, but every extra look I get makes me think it should've been called a penalty. On the other hand, Crabtree had absutely no reaction toward the referee there. Obviously this isn't scientific by any means, but I tend to look at the players a lot on some of these calls. Although you do get a player here and there screaming for a flag no matter what, Crabtree didn't seem to put up any case at all for a flag, so I lean toward a no call on that play.

Fade on fourth down.

Gotta agree on the play-calling down there. The 2pt seemed like a blown assignment, however, as K had a dude in his face immediately.

Overall, Baltimore was the better team. I'm proud of my Niners for getting back into it and giving me something to cheer for down the stretch, but honestly, the way Culliver was getting torched all night, I couldn't help but realize that they'd have a hell of a time keeping Baltimore from getting the three they'd need to win it even if we did score.

Gotta agree on the play-calling down there. The 2pt seemed like a blown assignment, however, as K had a dude in his face immediately.

Overall, Baltimore was the better team. I'm proud of my Niners for getting back into it and giving me something to cheer for down the stretch, but honestly, the way Culliver was getting torched all night, I couldn't help but realize that they'd have a hell of a time keeping Baltimore from getting the three they'd need to win it even if we did score.

Wow! A reasonable and realistic homer? Maybe this is why The Huddle is "dying"? :wink:

To me that was clearly a penalty though there seemed to be a few throughout where they let them play.

this...plus there was that hit on Flacco when he threw the ball away and was hit out of bounds...Manning, Brady, Brees etc all get that call...But as Grunge said, they let them play all game and while I think they missed calls on both sides they were very consistent with how they called the game. Edited by keggerz

Wow. Not sure this thread signifies the death of the Huddle. It does highlight the changes brought about by twitter, and the advancing age of the members. As for myself, I hosted a small gathering, and as much as I would like to share insight with more knowledgable football people here in the huddle I find it in bad taste to keep the laptop out during the game. And people in my small group are much more impressed with my thoughts throughout the game than most of you here, and the casual fan kind of needs a guide for this game. If it had been just me and the wife/kids I probably would have chimed in on this thread, but most people find themselves in groups of live people on this day and internet buddies take a back seat. Not the death of the Huddle, whose primary purpose is helping fantasy teams through the regular season.

As for the game I have a few thoughts. I appreciated that the refs stayed out of it. They let them play. Seems silly for SF backers to be howling about that last call in the endzone. If you are depending on a holding or interference penalty of a game deciding 4th and goal you are SOL, especially when they have been letting the players get away with that stuff the whole game.

With better play calling the niners win that game on the final drive. Kaepernick - zero completions in the red zone, and you give him a fade on 4th down? Really?

I'm going to have to eat crow, er raven on Flacco. I was convinced he was never going to be an "it" guy, but all it took was getting rid of Cam Cameron, who I similarly railed against for years.

While Flacco did have a good game and a great post-season, I don't think he was the MVP yesterday. The Ravens won this superbowl on the strength of Mr. Boldin. The dude made every catch he had to make for the Ravens to win the game, and he made absolutely critical catches in each of their unlikely playoff victories. I don't think its a travesty that they gave the award to the QB, but Boldin was the first guy on my mind late in the game when I started thinking about MVP.

The power outage aided the 49ers in a big way in my opinion,but the Ravens withstood. It ended up a great game. Anybody that lived through the fiasco years of 84-97 when Superbowl blowouts were all the rage can appreciate the run we are on of great superbowl games.

Wow. Not sure this thread signifies the death of the Huddle. It does highlight the changes brought about by twitter, and the advancing age of the members.

I don't think the Huddle is dead, but I have serious doubts it will ever be what it once was not very long ago.

Last year's thread had 247 posts, This year's thread has 44 including the chatter about the drop-off in activity. That's not Twitter, nor our age.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

two very even teams played a pretty tight game. more than any calls/non-calls on the field i attribute this loss to:

- the lack of preparation in the 1st half (ie: 1st play was an illegal formation)

- weakness in the secondary. many times i saw flacco throw balloon and no defenders around to make plays, or when in position, failed to excecute

- inability to stop the ravens on 3rd down

- special teams allowing a record breaking kr

- playcalling: wanted to see kap run earlier in the game; and hated the 1 run with james, then 3 passes in the ez (though i did see that the middle was very well defended for the run by the ravens)

- a little bit of inexperience by kap (most overcame it, but a couple time outs/clock management

was impressed with:

- patience for the 9ers to stick with the run. it paid off in the 2nd half

- front 7 did a great job with stopping rice/pierce. even with only 2 sacks, i was satisfied with the pressure they put on flacco.

- happy they actually utilized davis

- felt like they "let kap loose" in the second half. mostly moved the ball well the whole game..failed to get td's early.

- kap did a great job for his 10th game

- crabtree was his clutch 2013 self.

as for the calls/non-calls: the group i watched the game with was a bit agitated at halftime with how discretion was being used. the second to last drive seemed like an exclamation point.

edit: thought boldin should have been mvp. made clutch plays time after time. tremendously strong wr!

Edited by Bier Meister

two very even teams played a pretty tight game. more than any calls/non-calls on the field i attribute this loss to:

- the lack of preparation in the 1st half (ie: 1st play was an illegal procedure)

- weakness in the secondary. many times i saw flacco throw balloon and no defenders around to make plays, or when in position, failed to excecute

- inability to stop the ravens on 3rd down

- special teams allowing a record breaking kr

- playcalling: wanted to see kap run earlier in the game; and hated the 1 run with james, then 3 passes in the ez (though i did see that the middle was very well defended for the run by the ravens)

- a little bit of inexperience by kap (most overcame it, but a couple time outs/clock management

was impressed with:

- patience for the 9ers to stick with the run. it paid off in the 2nd half

- front 7 did a great job with stopping rice/pierce. even with only 2 sacks, i was satisfied with the pressure they put on flacco.

- happy they actually utilized davis

- felt like they "let kap loose" in the second half. mostly moved the ball well the whole game..failed to get td's early.

- kap did a great job for his 10th game

- crabtree was his clutch 2013 self.

as for the calls/non-calls: the group i watched the game with was a bit agitated at halftime with how discretion was being used. the second to last drive seemed like an exclamation point.

edit: thought boldin should have been mvp. made clutch plays time after time. tremendously strong wr!

Good post, Bier. Don't worry, I believe your boys will be in contention for several years, which probably means it won't be long until they have their 6th Lombardi trophy. I am blown away with Kaepernick's progression. That dude has an absolute cannon, and his running ability is phenomenal. The sky is the limit for him. With the rest of the talent in San Fran, it is just a matter of time.

It's funny you mention Flacco's balloon shots. I've mentioned to my "real world" friends many times that Flacco and the Ravens do something that I believe is a great strategy. There are several plays every game, where Flacco simply lets it loose, high and deep, for essentially a jump ball situation. He does this often against the Steelers, and I think it is a solid strategy. There is a decent chance that Boldin, whose hands are among the best in the league will come down with it, Smith/Jones will run under it, or you will get a pass interference call. It is much easier for the offensive player to find and adjust to the ball. Flacco and the Ravens seem to do a good job of timing these balloon shot throws, and it has payed dividends.

Fade on fourth down.

I agree with you 100%. How do you not just run it 4 times between Gore and Kaepernick?