[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SF/SEA

BeeR

My problem with the rule is, what if the defenseless player ducks? Or, in this case, if an initial hit changes his course, and his head is in a different place. That being said, I feel like the 49er launched himself, so I had no problem with this particular call.

That DEFINITELY should have been roughing the punter though.

Edited by CaptainHook

It doesn't matter what the receiver did or didn't do and it doesn't matter what the DB's intent was, it's the DB's responsibility to not hit the helmet of the receiver when he is in a defenseless position. The game has already been fundamentally changed...

Well , since intent does not matter and only the outcome dictates the penalty, why wasn't the player who rolled up on Bowman's leg penalized for unnecessary roughness. After all, the intent and the course of action during the player have no determining factor, only what occurred as a result.

Yeah, it's ridiculous, but there was equally as much intent to injure and unsafe play in each of those plays.

Well , since intent does not matter and only the outcome dictates the penalty, why wasn't the player who rolled up on Bowman's leg penalized for unnecessary roughness. After all, the intent and the course of action during the player have no determining factor, only what occurred as a result.

Yeah, it's ridiculous, but there was equally as much intent to injure and unsafe play in each of those plays.

Because it is not against the rules to destroy knees and legs.........yet.

Believe me, I completely agree with you. Intent should matter. But that is the way it is now, like it or not.

• Like 1

Seahawks fans throw food at Bowman as he's carted off.

Don't know why I would be surprised, but it never ceases to amaze me how low some "fans" will go.

Looks like from the video, maybe one guy threw some popcorn. Hard to vilify an entire fan base off that, as some are doing.

How about the guy on the 49ers sideline that throws a clothesline on the Seattle gunner?

How many times do you see a guy grab a runners facemask by accident? The intent wasn't there but the flag still gets thrown.

It's the grasping of the face mask and then pulling that gets them. That can ( or should ) be controlled. That in my opinion is way different than a player changing their path after a D player has committed himself.

It's the grasping of the face mask and then pulling that gets them. That can ( or should ) be controlled. That in my opinion is way different than a player changing their path after a D player has committed himself.

There used to be two different face mask penalties...now there is one, grasp, grab or pull doesn't matter, it's 15 yards. And when a LB is reaching to make a tackle and the runner cuts and his head ends up in a different spot and the LBs hand ends up on the facemask is very similar to what you are talking about having a player's path changed

There used to be two different face mask penalties...now there is one, grasp, grab or pull doesn't matter, it's 15 yards. And when a LB is reaching to make a tackle and the runner cuts and his head ends up in a different spot and the LBs hand ends up on the facemask is very similar to what you are talking about having a player's path changed

actually you can touch the face mask now . . . that used to be a five yard incidental contact . . . now you have to grasp it, so they do look at intent . . .

Actually I'd argue just the opposite. The refs seem to have shown tremendous discretion in general regarding facemasking and recognize the difference between grazing the facemask in the course of contact as opposed to grasping and pulling. I'd love to see the same common sense discretion shown elsewhere.

actually you can touch the face mask now . . . that used to be a five yard incidental contact . . . now you have to grasp it, so they do look at intent . . .

Just because you grab the facemask doesn't mean that was your intention.

Craig at 6'0" and 220 and lattimore at 5'11" 221 is a pretty good comparison also Ricky running watters was 6'1" 220 also a good mold to start with either way! I think upon my initial analysis the kid has the running style of watters a little more though as he is a glider... I only wish they would have taken Keenan Allen on draft day as he was a super quality buy where he was going. I was so wishing they would take a chance on the Berkeley kid and keep him local. Looks like he woulda been a welcome addition oh well thems the breaks

Maybe that was the comparison he was trying to make but maybe he was talking about Gore? Gore had a pretty nasty string of knee injuries in college as well. :shrug:

As for Bowman, I'm bummed as all heck. I was rooting for the Niners there since the guy's pick-6 against ATL won me a BoTH league championship. He's a beast and if there's anyone that can come back from what he's faced with, it's him.

Maybe that was the comparison he was trying to make but maybe he was talking about Gore? Gore had a pretty nasty string of knee injuries in college as well. :shrug:

As for Bowman, I'm bummed as all heck. I was rooting for the Niners there since the guy's pick-6 against ATL won me a BoTH league championship. He's a beast and if there's anyone that can come back from what he's faced with, it's him.

I was indeed making the comparison to Gore, who they drafted injured and let him heal for a year. Now, Lattimer may more resemble Craig or Watters physically but even if he has a career similiar to Gore's moreso than Craig's or Watters' it's still got to be considered a big win.

I've had a day to hear Sherman's explanation of his interview with Erin Andrews. I don't care one bit for it. He's a really smart guy who should have been smart enough to keep his mouth shut, despite being an emotional player, in the heat of the moment, or wearing that huge chip on his shoulder as motivation. He didn't need to say anything, the play already said it all. The choke gesture was classless. Some sports people have said that he plays up to the negative attention as fuel for his fire, that it's part of what really motivates him. But ultimately he took the attention away from what the team accomplished as a whole, and gave many fans reason to (mistakenly) think that all of the Seahawks are thugs. In my opionion, the coolest thing he could have done was to look at Kaep/Crabtree after the INT, say nothing, and just wag his finger back in forth like Dikembe Mutumbo used to do after blocking a shot. Nothing said, but the point got across - not in my house.

I will say this, however. Would I rather have a kindler, gentler Sherman who was only 85% as good as he is now? Would I rather have the kindler, gentler Sherman who instead of making the play he did instead maybe only have a 33% chance of breaking that pass up, much less tipping it to a teammate? As much as I loathe that post game rant, I sure as hell love that he sent the Seahawks to the Superbowl. As much as I wish he had kept his mouth shut, and hate that everyone thinks the entire team are all thugs, I wouldn't trade him for any other corner in the league. I'll just have to get comfortable with my discomfort over his on field antics and hope that he learns how to keep his fire without sticking his foot in his mouth so much in the future. He just might be this generation's Terrell Owens, and as with TO, you gotta take the bad with the good.

I just oticed Keg liked not one, but two! of my posts in this thread. Doesn't that get me a few more black dots under my avatar or something? :brew:

Edited by Tripleshot

I was indeed making the comparison to Gore, who they drafted injured and let him heal for a year. Now, Lattimer may more resemble Craig or Watters physically but even if he has a career similiar to Gore's moreso than Craig's or Watters' it's still got to be considered a big win.

Good call. It's entirely possible that Lattimore is more gifted than any of those guys. Time will tell.