[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys KoolAid, Who wants a cup?

Cowboyz1

I am a bit late but hey, better late than never. So let’s get started.

Many of you know me as perhaps the quintessential Cowboys fan, others as the antagonist, still others as the deliriously deranged Cowboys homer, while others may not know me at all. In any case, you know one thing, I am always searching for that glimmer of hope, a flare of future success. A prevision if you will of a possible return to postseason play and reach the boundary of the seemingly endless seasons of mediocrity. The number 88 brings back memories of greatness. Irvin wore the number. The Cowboys heartbeat and at times their war drum. While the number recalls a time of greatness the number more recently has brought disappointment. To the point that I wake up some nights in a cold sweat yelling out "NO NO, not 8-8". However, there is a new 88, that like Irvin, beats back the demons like he beats CB's. He reminds me of a day when the Irvin would take it upon himself to rally the troops and impose his will on the game while making a seemingly impossible grab with a defender draped all over him, only to toss the ball, take one knee and thrust his hand forward announcing to the world "FIRST DOWN". Yes we have a new 88 in Dez Bryant and while he doesn't stay out all night then show up to practice yelling "who's gonna out work me today". He does have the passion and the skills to dominate on the field. But that hasn't been enough now has it.

Then there's Romo. The Cowboys star QB, who can literally amaze you one minute with a throw that even the hard core Romo haters have to hail to. While the next, throwing it to the other team with a pass that even I have to shake my head in disgust. Love him or hate him, he's ours for good and he will be the one that will get us to the top of the mountain or under it. If you look at the stats, he's everything you want in a QB. He's All time leader in damn near every category as a passer in Dallas. Has the best 4th quarter passer rating of all active QB's. Has most 4th quarter comebacks in history as of last week. Yet that hasn't been enough either.

The defense, hey, they won't remind you of the 85 bears, in fact, last year it would remind you of a AA college squad before it would an NFL defense. They let Ware go to Denver, ran Ratliff off to Chicago and didn't seem to care if Hatcher left either. I mean they let the two guys go that were the best players on the last place unit. Ok, and replaced them with what? Demarcus II a rookie DE from Boise State who has yet to play a down because they put him up against "the Mauler", Tyron Smith who proceeded to drive the poor kid into the ground and broke his foot the first week of practice. I mean come on guys, give the kid a chance. By the way did you see the total and complete domination of Quinn this past week. He made him quit. I don't think I have ever seen a LT make a premier pass rusher quit on Sunday. But that is exactly what happened.

So this years strategy seems to be, get as many linemen and keep them fresh in a rotation. Opting for liveliness over legitimate talent. Our corners are ok. Two of them anyway. Safety play is mediocre also. So it's safe to say the defense is not going to be enough.

So you're probably asking yourself, what in the world has you believing this team is anything other then 8-8 or worse?

I'm glad you asked. I will tell you.

It was last week. Yes, last week. The game we went down 21 points to the Rams. The game where Murray fumbled and they let the Rams score 7. Then Romo not to be outdone, throws a pick six to make the score 21-0 in the first quarter. The game where we let an Undrafted Rookie throw all over us.

You see, in years past that game is over. We may have even made it close by Romo taking over the game and passing for 300+ yard in a furious comeback only to come up short because of a bad pick, or the defense letting the Rams drive for a game tying field goal and losing on a kick off return touchdown. But that didn't happen this time. Why?

The brain trust over the past three years have drafted linemen with their first round picks. Damn Good lineman at that. LT Tyron Smith, C Travis Fredrick, and G Zach Martin in that order. Those three picks have achieved two things. One they can all pass block, and two, they can all run block. Romo has time in the pocket which he has really never had. Murray has running lanes even when teams decide to play the run with 8 man fronts. So when the Rams were up 21 points, they did the unthinkable, they ran the football. Even when the Rams tried to stop the run with 9 men in the box they still ran the football with success to the tune of 100 yards. The Cowboys have the leading rusher in the NFL through three weeks. That hasn't happened since, well, since Emmitt Smith was running behind the Wall of the 90's.

There is one common theme for success in the NFL. You have to be able to run the football against run defenses, and not turn the ball over. Through three games we have one of the ingredients for success. Teams can win without having a stellar defense. We see it all the time. New England, New Orleans are two examples. Elway could pass for thousands of yards and touchdowns but could never win the big one even with a solid defense. It took Davis and the running game.

Going into Sunday, I see the possibility of going 3-1 with 4 more home games against beatable opponents. Romo need only to protect the football and let this O line plow the field for Murray. When they adjust to stop the run which Ryan will inevitably do because he hates to see an offense run on his defense, Romo can strike down field to the new 88 and co.

Will it be enough? I have a good feeling that it just might. The Ram game proved to the fans, the team, the league and maybe most importantly, Romo that the Cowboys can and will run the football and stick with it. Romo has witnessed first hand how nice it is when defenders have to check the run before pinning their ears back and coming after him. He sees he doesn't have to do it all with Murray now capable of pounding defenses with the new Wall in front of him. Maybe this is the year we finally break through. I got a good feeling about this years team. Especially if we can keep our newly found Mac Truck, Rolando McClain for a Mike linebacker healthy. I believe it just may be enough to win this division and see what happens.

Maybe just maybe we turned a corner and it doesn't lead to another 8-8 cul de sac. Just maybe we get Spencer back and the rookie DE and this defense can be ok and not terrible. Because if that happens we have a shot to be a top the division for once.

I have a feeling it just might be enough!

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 1

Jones is a great, actually one of the pioneers as far as marketing and the business side of things but then there that pigskin ball that needs to get tossed around?????? He couldn't find talent if it smacked him right in his big fat wallet? He needs to be an owner and hire someone else to run football operations? That's as simple as it gets? And for the love of god, no more call girls on the front of the post please! Funny and epic though, I guess you can sleep with them but don't hit them with a left hook! Sorry had too.....

If you look at the stats, he's everything you want in a QB. He's All time leader in damn near every category as a passer in Dallas. Has the best 4th quarter passer rating of all active QB's. Has most 4th quarter comebacks in history as of last week. Yet that hasn't been enough either.

Here's a case of longetivity yielding empty stats

ROMO has a long string of 4th quarter-end of the game-end of the season fumbles, picks, & blunders that is so horrid I'm not sure if he can ever put them over the top.

But hey, enjoy your comeback against those pesky Rams. The running game is impressive, no doubt

Classic, a comeback win over the hapless Rams is your glimmer of hope. Doubt you're coming back from 21-0 on many real NFL teams, but you go with that.

Not to mention Aikman >>>> Romo, same goes for the OL and D of that era compared to now. Murray and Bryant are no Irvin/Emmit, but closer than the rest of the team.

When I look at the hand we've been delt this year, I see a pair in TW and Dez. TW showed teams he will get open, catch the ball and take a hit while doing it. Kids a baller. Finally a #2 that can play. Dez is just a beast.

I see a Joker, with Slip who can beat you with his feet, beat you with his arm or get you beat with an untimely pick or bad snap. Today he was lights out. Although I see a change in him now that he has a running game he can depend on.

Let's see, ohhh I see a wild card in this defense that seems to be hitting teams right in the mouth. They covered well and pressure the pocket and tackle well.

Finally we have an Ace in Murray combined with a solid young line. Oh by the way, Murray has joined some pretty elite company rushing for 100+ yards and a touchdown in the first four games of a season. He joins Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and O.J. Simpson as the only back to perform the feat. That's walking in some tall cotton my friends.

So with a hand like this we can beat you with two pair, four of a kind, or a full house. I like our chances fellas, I like our chances. :brow:

I told you last game was a turning point. We may just have enough to get something done this year. IF we stay relatively healthy.

What I love the most was that the Cowboys came out and punched the Saints right in the mouth with a 80 yard drive as if to say "take that, and get ready because we going to bust you in the mouth all night". I loved it. I haven't seen a Cowboys team be this dominate running the football, this disciplined and tackle this well in a long time. Four weeks into the season, it's great time to be a Cowboys fan. :tup:

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 2

Now can these kids handle the Juggernaut of a Hype machine that is about to begin? The Media is going to hype this team as big as possible in order to lay the ground work for coverage of the inevitable collapse which most all believe will happen. Hope these kids can handle it. A lot a road games down the stretch. We're gonna need every win we can get the next 5 weeks. Go Cowboys. Quality win though last night. We may have gotten the Saints at a good time in the season but they are still dangerous despite not firing on all cylinders yet.

• Like 1

Here comes the proverbial "Trap Game", with Houston coming to town and a trip to Seattle the following week. Garrett is going to have to coach this week harder then even last week to keep this team focused. Losing to Houston would just throw a truck load of cold water on this win and douse the potential bonfire of momentum moving ahead. Houston is hungry and JJ Watt can hurt any offense. They need to be ready to fight again next week and focus on only this week.