[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys KoolAid, Who wants a cup?

Cowboyz1

If I was a Cowboys fan, I would absolutely be looking at the season as a success already, regardless of the second half. How many of us REALLY had the Cowboys pegged at the start of the year to be one of the better teams in the NFC? Who thought Murray would stay healthy and Romo would play under control? Not me. If I offered every Cowboys fan a 6-2 record after 8 games to start the year, all of them would have signed on for that.

The rest of their schedule? Considering it is hard to sweep teams in the NFC East, lets give them wins over the Eagles and Redskins. And the Jaguars and Bears. That's 10 wins. That's counting losses to the Giants, Eagles, Cardinals and Colts. 10-6 is a playoff team for sure.

So enjoy what you have now Cowboys fans. As a Giants fan, sometimes those magical seasons come along and you wait for the other shoe to drop, but it never does.

Who missed the playoffs within the past couple/few years at 10-6? It was when Seattle won the NFC Worst with an 8-8 record, IIRC.

From what I've seen on TV, and read about them, I feel Dallas is the only team who can get in Dallas' way. Are they unbeatable... no, not saying that. But they look more "solid" this year, like a focused team. Imagine if they could stop the turnovers. They'd be killing it in the NFC right now. The turnovers could be their proverbial Achilles heal in the playoffs (and yes, I do think they'll make it).

So what do you want me to do Grits. Ignore the fact that they are 6-2. Focus on how bad they have been and stay in a state of misery and failure. Look at our team as 4-4 instead of 6-2. Blow off the success they have had in the running game and just write if off as luck, while looking forward to when the wheels come off and Murray inevitably gets hurt and our defense reverts back to the ways of old giving up game after game because they can't stop anybody.

I just don't get you Grits. They are either undefeated and perfect on both sides of the ball or they are $hit not worthy of your praise or atta boys when they do well. Geez buddy, I had no idea how badly they wounded you. If I didn't know any better I would swear you were an Eagle fan.

Dude, this team is doing well. Enjoy it for cryin out loud. They could have lost but they didn't. They could have won yesterday but they didn't. How bout just be a fan and look to the good in team instead of all the places they come up short. Geezz

The team is 6-2, not 4-4 or worse. They are tired and have grinded for 8 straight weeks doing the very best they can to fend off the juggernaut media, injuries at LB and Oline, while our QB is fighting through an injured back that was obviously much worse to start the season then he let on. This team is still young and has a few things to learn yet. They need all hands on deck from their TRUE fans for there are plenty of folks trying to tear them down.

I for one am pulling for my team and was proud of the way they fought last night. They gave everything they had and came up short due to some mistakes yes. Murray fumbled yes, but he is fighting for every inch, week in and week out. Yes they pulled the ball out while six defenders ripping at the ball. Should he of gotten down yes. but the guys is fighting down in and down out for the team, his coach and his fans. I applaud his efforts and nobody feels worse then he does letting his team down. Maybe he does fumble once a game from here on out but if he gets 2000 yards or more, I'll take it.

It's like everyone wants this team to fail including our own fans. Almost as if they are pulling for it, willing it to happen. For the first time in DECADES we have an O line that for the most part is mauling teams, a running back that is breaking records set by Jim Brown, a QB that is playing his a$$ off hurt and willing to do anything to play even jepordize his own health to help, a coach and GM that is finally drafting well yet our own fans, the media, rivals, all are looking to find a way to trip em up and look at the ways they are failing instead of all the really positive things that are happening this year. I just don't get it.

LOL. No we enjoy the 6-2 record as Dallas fans. As a fan I would certainly rather them be 6-2 than 4-4 no matter how the wins were acquired. I am enjoying the commitment to the run and the success they have had - but true to Cowboy form they turned away from that successful running game in the Washington game when it mattered most (2nd and goal on the 2). And as awesome as the Cowboy running game has been, Murray is STILL putting the ball on the carpet.

The difference between you and me is that I am not wearing rose colored glasses. After the early success you were ready to crown them champions. I, on the other hand, remain cautiously optimistic because I know the Cowboys have a decades long propensity to find ways to lose games (no matter how strong their start). I am not "looking for ways to trip them up" but I am skeptical of their ability to change the stripes they have worn for over 2 decades. The leadership that has lead this organization to mediocrity over the last several decades hasn't gone anywhere. Furthermore, rolling up a 6-2 record against sub-par teams, while making us feel good, can be a false indicator of future success.

So what do you want me to do Grits. Ignore the fact that they are 6-2. Focus on how bad they have been and stay in a state of misery and failure. Look at our team as 4-4 instead of 6-2. Blow off the success they have had in the running game and just write if off as luck, while looking forward to when the wheels come off and Murray inevitably gets hurt and our defense reverts back to the ways of old giving up game after game because they can't stop anybody.

I just don't get you Grits. They are either undefeated and perfect on both sides of the ball or they are $hit not worthy of your praise or atta boys when they do well. Geez buddy, I had no idea how badly they wounded you. If I didn't know any better I would swear you were an Eagle fan.

Dude, this team is doing well. Enjoy it for cryin out loud. They could have lost but they didn't. They could have won yesterday but they didn't. How bout just be a fan and look to the good in team instead of all the places they come up short. Geezz

The team is 6-2, not 4-4 or worse. They are tired and have grinded for 8 straight weeks doing the very best they can to fend off the juggernaut media, injuries at LB and Oline, while our QB is fighting through an injured back that was obviously much worse to start the season then he let on. This team is still young and has a few things to learn yet. They need all hands on deck from their TRUE fans for there are plenty of folks trying to tear them down.

I for one am pulling for my team and was proud of the way they fought last night. They gave everything they had and came up short due to some mistakes yes. Murray fumbled yes, but he is fighting for every inch, week in and week out. Yes they pulled the ball out while six defenders ripping at the ball. Should he of gotten down yes. but the guys is fighting down in and down out for the team, his coach and his fans. I applaud his efforts and nobody feels worse then he does letting his team down. Maybe he does fumble once a game from here on out but if he gets 2000 yards or more, I'll take it.

It's like everyone wants this team to fail including our own fans. Almost as if they are pulling for it, willing it to happen. For the first time in DECADES we have an O line that for the most part is mauling teams, a running back that is breaking records set by Jim Brown, a QB that is playing his a$$ off hurt and willing to do anything to play even jepordize his own health to help, a coach and GM that is finally drafting well yet our own fans, the media, rivals, all are looking to find a way to trip em up and look at the ways they are failing instead of all the really positive things that are happening this year. I just don't get it.

Good post

• Like 1

Cowboyz is the eternal optimist. I think that is great and have learned to appreciate your posts as they get people really riled up with I find great. A lot of Cowboys fans have become pessimistic over the lack of success for so long and the trend for the team to just lose in gut wrenching fashion and just tank when it counts. To be honest, I have been more on the pessimistic side but this year I am learning not to expect the usual folding tent act. There were parts of games where the old Cowboys would have just laid down and died or choked like when the Saints were gaining steam late or the end of the Seahawks game. This team is a little different because its finally built on something more than fluff. An O line and a running game that takes pressure off of Romo has cured some of the things that ail us. I think this loss puts things in perspective. We laid an egg. We got schooled by the blitz. Now you get to see if this team can come back and how real we are. I think we have a very solid football team here and I am still excited but I have never bought in to us being world beaters . Im just happy we have promise now

If I was a Cowboys fan, I would absolutely be looking at the season as a success already, regardless of the second half. How many of us REALLY had the Cowboys pegged at the start of the year to be one of the better teams in the NFC? Who thought Murray would stay healthy and Romo would play under control? Not me. If I offered every Cowboys fan a 6-2 record after 8 games to start the year, all of them would have signed on for that.

The rest of their schedule? Considering it is hard to sweep teams in the NFC East, lets give them wins over the Eagles and Redskins. And the Jaguars and Bears. That's 10 wins. That's counting losses to the Giants, Eagles, Cardinals and Colts. 10-6 is a playoff team for sure.

So enjoy what you have now Cowboys fans. As a Giants fan, sometimes those magical seasons come along and you wait for the other shoe to drop, but it never does.

As the past has indicated this is not the case it just takes a weak division winner to throw a wrench into the playoff picture. The NFC South leader is currently 3-4-1.

So here is an easy scenario to imagine where a 10-6 Dallas team misses out on the playoffs.

Eagles and Cowboys tie at 10-6 in the NFC East, Eagles win on tie-breakers

Lions and Packers tie at 11-5 the NFC North, Lions win on tie-breakers

Panthers win the NFC South with a 7-8-1 record

Cards win the NFC West at 11-5. edging out the 49'ers at 10-6

Packers get a wildcard at 11-5

Dallas and SF are tied for the last wildcard at 10-6, SF won H2H and takes the last playoff spot

Cowboyz is the eternal optimist. I think that is great and have learned to appreciate your posts as they get people really riled up with I find great. A lot of Cowboys fans have become pessimistic over the lack of success for so long and the trend for the team to just lose in gut wrenching fashion and just tank when it counts. To be honest, I have been more on the pessimistic side but this year I am learning not to expect the usual folding tent act. There were parts of games where the old Cowboys would have just laid down and died or choked like when the Saints were gaining steam late or the end of the Seahawks game. This team is a little different because its finally built on something more than fluff. An O line and a running game that takes pressure off of Romo has cured some of the things that ail us. I think this loss puts things in perspective. We laid an egg. We got schooled by the blitz. Now you get to see if this team can come back and how real we are. I think we have a very solid football team here and I am still excited but I have never bought in to us being world beaters . Im just happy we have promise now

I think I summed it up well in another post

How many times are the Cowboys fans supposed to let Lucy convince us to kick the ball on Thanksgiving?

Edited by Grits and Shins

How many times are the Cowboys fans supposed to let Lucy convince us to kick the ball on Thanksgiving?

You may be right again but I think we have a foundation here that is different from years past. We have more substance and not just leaning on Romo for heroics and miracles which ends in failure most of the time . A running game allows him to shine IMO. Make plays when we need him rather than use him as our only hope. The youth of the O line excites and scares me at the same time. These kids are maulers but still very green. A run game frees up Romo and also provides less exposure to our D which I still think is just average. I dont think we have fully turned the corner yet but I believe we are digging out from being a laughing stock that shoots themselves in the foot to a team that can compete.

You may be right again but I think we have a foundation here that is different from years past. We have more substance and not just leaning on Romo for heroics and miracles which ends in failure most of the time . A running game allows him to shine IMO. Make plays when we need him rather than use him as our only hope. The youth of the O line excites and scares me at the same time. These kids are maulers but still very green. A run game frees up Romo and also provides less exposure to our D which I still think is just average. I dont think we have fully turned the corner yet but I believe we are digging out from being a laughing stock that shoots themselves in the foot to a team that can compete.

No doubt it seems as if we are heading in the right direction - build an O-Line and run a somewhat balanced offense with a slant towards the ground game. But I can't get past the decades of prior track record demonstrating a lack of ability to finish. And the Washington game is a perfect example ... the run game is killing it but on 2nd and goal on the 2 yard line they choose to try and "trick" their opponents and pass the ball. In addition the Washington game showed us again the defense that can't make a stop when it counts against a visiting 3rd string QB.

No doubt it seems as if we are heading in the right direction - build an O-Line and run a somewhat balanced offense with a slant towards the ground game. But I can't get past the decades of prior track record demonstrating a lack of ability to finish. And the Washington game is a perfect example ... the run game is killing it but on 2nd and goal on the 2 yard line they choose to try and "trick" their opponents and pass the ball. In addition the Washington game showed us again the defense that can't make a stop when it counts against a visiting 3rd string QB.

Our D is awful on 3rd down especially. No matter what the distance, we give it up

Who missed the playoffs within the past couple/few years at 10-6? It was when Seattle won the NFC Worst with an 8-8 record, IIRC.

From what I've seen on TV, and read about them, I feel Dallas is the only team who can get in Dallas' way. Are they unbeatable... no, not saying that. But they look more "solid" this year, like a focused team. Imagine if they could stop the turnovers. They'd be killing it in the NFC right now. The turnovers could be their proverbial Achilles heal in the playoffs (and yes, I do think they'll make it).

Cardinals were out of the playoffs at 10-6 last year. Bears 10-6 in 2012 missed too. TB and NYG in 2010, Pats 11-5 in 2008

And the one I'll remember most, Browns 10-6 in 2007 (TEN got in with a better conf record I think, in large part by wining their last game against a Colts team sitting many starters).

That's 6 teams in just the last 7 seasons with 10 or more wins not making the playoffs.

I told you, She got her teeth kicked in and from what I hear, the doctors are still trying to figure out what to do with the ball.

LOL. No we enjoy the 6-2 record as Dallas fans. As a fan I would certainly rather them be 6-2 than 4-4 no matter how the wins were acquired. I am enjoying the commitment to the run and the success they have had - but true to Cowboy form they turned away from that successful running game in the Washington game when it mattered most (2nd and goal on the 2). And as awesome as the Cowboy running game has been, Murray is STILL putting the ball on the carpet.

The difference between you and me is that I am not wearing rose colored glasses. After the early success you were ready to crown them champions. I, on the other hand, remain cautiously optimistic because I know the Cowboys have a decades long propensity to find ways to lose games (no matter how strong their start). I am not "looking for ways to trip them up" but I am skeptical of their ability to change the stripes they have worn for over 2 decades. The leadership that has lead this organization to mediocrity over the last several decades hasn't gone anywhere. Furthermore, rolling up a 6-2 record against sub-par teams, while making us feel good, can be a false indicator of future success.

Where did I call them "Champions". I said they may have enough to turn a corner. The corner that has them 8-8 year after year. I realize this is the NFL. I also realize that 6 guys mugging our RB after he has just ripped them for 40 is lible to end up with the ball on the ground. He learned that lesson now. You seem to think Murray is stupid. I don't . I think he has a lot to learn about toting the rock 400 times in a year. Yes, I am optimistic, but I too am not stupid in thinking this team has arrived.

You all have them at 10-6, 9-7, 11-5 or the same ole 8-8. That fact is none of us knows. The wheels could come off, Lucy could fool us into ending up flat on our back, despite having no teeth and a awkward disposition. All bad things could happen to this team. But so far, at 6-2 they haven't happened yet. So rather then project failure, how bout we just enjoy the ride and see what this new Cowboys team can do this year. That's all I'm saying.

Through 8 games of the season this team, THIS team has shown me something no other Cowboys team has shown me in DECADES. I for one am thankful. This year is a learning year for all the young guys and if they get to the playoffs and do well, hell they could very well be on their way to doing something we haven't seen here in some time now. I know one thing, we have a back that has 1054 yards through 8 games. We have a QB that is converting over 50% on third downs, has around 70% completion rate and we have a record of 6-2 heading into the money part of the season. That is pretty darn good $hit right there. I for one am happy for them.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Where did I call them "Champions". I said they may have enough to turn a corner. The corner that has them 8-8 year after year. I realize this is the NFL. I also realize that 6 guys mugging our RB after he has just ripped them for 40 is lible to end up with the ball on the ground. He learned that lesson now. You seem to think Murray is stupid. I don't . I think he has a lot to learn about toting the rock 400 times in a year. Yes, I am optimistic, but I too am not stupid in thinking this team has arrived.

You all have them at 10-6, 9-7, 11-5 or the same ole 8-8. That fact is none of us knows. The wheels could come off, Lucy could fool us into ending up flat on our back, despite having no teeth and a awkward disposition. All bad things could happen to this team. But so far, at 6-2 they haven't happened yet. So rather then project failure, how bout we just enjoy the ride and see what this new Cowboys team can do this year. That's all I'm saying.

Through 8 games of the season this team, THIS team has shown me something no other Cowboys team has shown me in DECADES. I for one am thankful. This year is a learning year for all the young guys and if they get to the playoffs and do well, hell they could very well be on their way to doing something we haven't seen here in some time now. I know one thing, we have a back that has 1054 yards through 8 games. We have a QB that is converting over 50% on third downs and we have a record of 6-2 heading into the money part of the season. That is pretty darn good $hit right there. I for one am happy for them.

You keep saying "this year it is different/this team is different" and I keep saying I will believe that when they prove it. Getting off to a 6-2 start against sub-par teams doesn't prove it to me. Eking into the playoffs and losing in the 1st round doesn't prove it to me, hell losing in the 2nd round may not prove it to me depending on the nature of the opponents and the way the games play out.

If I could go back to other years where the Cowboys started out strong I wonder if you said the same then "this year is different/this team is different".

The leadership hasn't changed.

Edited by Grits and Shins

So to look further down the road, what happens if Murray stays healthy all yea and keep sup his torrid pace? Do the Cowboys break the bank and reward him knowing that all the stats point to a steep decline after such a season or do they thank him and let him walk?

I have no idea about their cap space or their impending FA, but I would rather pay Dez than DeMarco.

So to look further down the road, what happens if Murray stays healthy all yea and keep sup his torrid pace? Do the Cowboys break the bank and reward him knowing that all the stats point to a steep decline after such a season or do they thank him and let him walk?

I have no idea about their cap space or their impending FA, but I would rather pay Dez than DeMarco.

Jerry has never let guys that he wants go. I think this is what happens. If, Murray gets dinged up, Jerry is at his bedside with contract extension. If he stays healthy and eclipses 2000 yards he signs him. The monkey wench is AP. If Peterson is available at years end and all money being equal, Murray gets traded and we sign AP. Not all that worried about it really. Jerry will find a way to keep the players he wants, always has.

That said, there is a lot of season left to play and a lot of stats that need to be inked along with a hell of a lot of free agent negotiations. Way too many to discuss here. I think everyone is focused on this year and seeing how it all shakes out.

I could see Dez inked to a very long term deal like Tyron Smith's. I think they continue to build on defense through the draft so signing defensive veterans won't be so high on the priorities list. They sign Rolando McClain. Other then those sure signing, like I said there are so many FA to deal with it would be too much to figure out this early.

You keep saying "this year it is different/this team is different" and I keep saying I will believe that when they prove it. Getting off to a 6-2 start against sub-par teams doesn't prove it to me. Eking into the playoffs and losing in the 1st round doesn't prove it to me, hell losing in the 2nd round may not prove it to me depending on the nature of the opponents and the way the games play out.

If I could go back to other years where the Cowboys started out strong I wonder if you said the same then "this year is different/this team is different".

The leadership hasn't changed.

It is Grits. No matter what happens the rest of the year, the O line is different. Murray having broken a NFL record is different. The team being 6-2 is different. The only thing that derails this team is injury which could certainly happen but this team is built far differently then teams past. This defense is healthier then last year so far, that's different. They are still undermanned and will get exposed if left out there. I know that. We aren't going to WIN games because of our defense but hopefully they won't be the worst in history like last year and be the massive anchor it was.

I don't think you quite see how owning the only running back in the HISTORY of the NFL to do what he has done is vastly different buddy. They have done something this year that NO other team in NFL history has done. That my friend is different. Will it continue, I hope so. Can it all fall apart, yes. Will this team make the playoffs, I hope so.

Will I be cheering and hoping for the best? You better believe it. For I know one thing, regardless of what happens this year, we will be in far better shape going into an off-season then we have ever been. That is starkly different.

Edited by Cowboyz1

Found this site recently for player/tean cap info and was told it is accurate

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/

So now I am sure all the koolaid drinkers will give the Cowboys a free pass because Romo didn't play. History demonstrates that the Cowboys find ways to lose in November ... and according to my calendar ... it is November

We'll see, but you have to admit Weeden was about as bad a QB as you can be. Seriously, I don't recall watching worse QB play. It just disgusted me, his teammates and every fan that watched the game. Even ARZ players were shaking their heads. If Romo is in this game we win pulling away. I could see the score 30 something to 20 something. The defense was playing really good until they got $hit on time and again while wearing down. That was the most plays they have had to defend all year. Seemed like they played the whole game on defense, with short intervals of hospital balls and incomplete passes thrown by Weeden.

I suspect Romo comes back and we squeak by the Jags and get into the bye week 7-3. We heal up and get ready for a stretch run. I just hope and pray that Weeden's sorry play didn't get McClain and Crawford worn down and hurt for a long stretch of time. Like I said before, all we need his health. For cryin out loud, we deserve a break damnit, and not any more bones.

Edited by Cowboyz1

You can thank GM Jerrah for bringing in a QB from Cleveland's trash heap ... leadership has not changed.

And I disagree, I think the Cowboys lose the game even with Romo.

Eh, don't know about that. The INT Weeden threw when the Boys were driving, were in the redzone and the score was 14-10 was a killer.

Through 8 games of the season this team, THIS team has shown me something no other Cowboys team has shown me in DECADES.

What is that? The ability to beat bad teams early in the season on their way to their traditional 2nd half collapse?

Did anybody notice that the Eagles won yesterday with their back up QB?