[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Gift?

DMD

I guess I'm in a minority of 1 thinking it wasn't a bad call. The Patriots were expecting the run. Marshawn could have easily been stuffed for a 2 or 3 yard loss. Whereas with an incomplete pass, the Seahawks are still on the 1 yard line with 2 more plays to run it in. If I had been calling plays, I might have even passed it again on 3rd down.

After watching what happened to get you down there, the football Gods were showing you with clear intent that ANYTHING can happen when you put the ball in the air. It was a clear warning. Keep the ball on the ground and you win. Simple.

The NFL is all about percentages and such. The 99.911111111% you win call was Russell taking the snap, turning left or right, handing the ball off to the best short yardage back in football to get one yard. If that doesn't work, quickly get up to the line and have Russell take the snap and turn left or right, hand the ball off to the best short yardage back in football to get one yard. Now IF by some infinitesimal chance that Lynch didn't score and win the Seahawks their second consecutive SB, call time out. I suspect it would be 4 down and goal with a few seconds left on the clock.

In that case, facing 4th down and goal, with the SuperBowl in the balance. The call I make to win or lose it, is:

Russell takes the snap, turns left or right and hands the ball off to the best short yardage back in football to win or lose me the SuperBowl.

Edited by Cowboyz1
  • Like 2

My old high school football coach hated passing the ball. He'd say..."when you throw the ball, three things can happen and only one of them is good". While his philosophy was limiting....there is no question that in that critical moment...his words of wisdom should have been followed.

For what it's worth - the play call actually made sense. It's easy to 2nd guess something after it doesn't work. Pats had their run D in there, and Lynch is (I think I saw this posted somewhere this morning) less than 50% successful on getting it in at the goal line. Sure it would have been the safer play, but why not try to catch the defense off guard?

A lot of people blaming Carrol, people blaming the OC. I don't see many people blaming Wilson, where I would put the blame on him altogether for that play. The WR was behind the throw, the defender was right there. Sure in real time it's all bang bang - but it wasn't the best of throws..

• Like 1

For what it's worth - the play call actually made sense. It's easy to 2nd guess something after it doesn't work. Pats had their run D in there, and Lynch is (I think I saw this posted somewhere this morning) less than 50% successful on getting it in at the goal line. Sure it would have been the safer play, but why not try to catch the defense off guard?

A lot of people blaming Carrol, people blaming the OC. I don't see many people blaming Wilson, where I would put the blame on him altogether for that play. The WR was behind the throw, the defender was right there. Sure in real time it's all bang bang - but it wasn't the best of throws..

If you're going to use that argument then play-action to Lynch and roll Wilson out. At least that gives Wilson more than one option. Don't throw it right into the middle of the defense where everyone is crowding up and expecting it to be run.

• Like 2

Then throw a back shoulder fade...

The NFL is all about percentages and such. The 99.911111111% you win call was Russell taking the snap, turning left or right, handing the ball off to the best short yardage back in football to get one yard. If that doesn't work, quickly get up to the line and have Russell take the snap and turn left or right, hand the ball off to the best short yardage back in football to get one yard. Now IF by some infinitesimal chance that Lynch didn't score and win the Seahawks their second consecutive SB, call time out. I suspect it would be 4 down and goal with a few seconds left on the clock.

you do know he was only 1-for-5 from the 1-yard line this year, don't you? and that he had been stopped on 3rd and 1 earlier in the game facing the same 8-man defensive front? I can certainly understand why they went with another option on one of their three attempts. Because Lynch can rip off a beastly run here and there doesn't make him automatic from the 1 yard line. In fact, the stats clearly show he is only successful 20% of the time this year when facing a defense that knows he's coming.

IMO, I think the pass play should have been audibled out of once they saw Browner playing bump coverage, fake left to Lynch, and then gotten Wilson to the edge while your WRs block one-on-one. He would have walked in.

But that's me.

• Like 1

THIS!

All of the "worst play in the history" nonsense is pure hindsight. Because the result was so poor, the call is automatically the worst ever? Give me a break. Malcolm Butler made a seemingly once-in-a-lifetime read, react, and catch on that play. The fact that he was able to break up the pass would have been impressive by itself. But actually catching the ball there is amazing. He deserves all of the credit... As for blame, I'm 100% in the "why isn't Russell Wilson getting taking any heat" camp. He led the receiver a bit too far, and perhaps (don't know this) he tipped his hand to Butler (or maybe Lockette did) since apparently Butler "just knew" what was coming. Either way, if the result of that play is an incompletion, then we aren't even talking about that play call.

What if Lynch fumbles on the 1 yard line to lose the game instead? Would people be up in arms about the play call being stupid? Of course not. I'm sure Carroll (or whoever called the play) had his reasons for choosing that play call, but it got thwarted by a fantastic defensive play. It's easy to do what Cowboyz1 suggested and just hand off three straight times to end the game. And suppose that had happened, but NE defended it and won anyway. Then we'd all be second guessing the "vanilla" play calling at the end because the tendency is to overreact to the results. Personally, I'd rather have a coaching staff that is willing to call plays that attempt to catch the defense off guard or attack weakness. Like the decision to go for the TD at the end of the first half - that's excellent! So many coaches don't take that shot but settle for 3. Coaches can't control play execution, only play calling. Had Wilson held the ball too long or completed a pass short of the goalline at the end of the first half, who would get the blame? Coaches for the play call or Wilson? So the reaction: the offense executed at the end of the first half (a brilliant play call), but didn't at the end of the game (worst call ever).

• Like 1

No and damn NO

NO !!!

THIS!

All of the "worst play in the history" nonsense is pure hindsight. Because the result was so poor, the call is automatically the worst ever? Give me a break. Malcolm Butler made a seemingly once-in-a-lifetime read, react, and catch on that play. The fact that he was able to break up the pass would have been impressive by itself. But actually catching the ball there is amazing. He deserves all of the credit... As for blame, I'm 100% in the "why isn't Russell Wilson getting taking any heat" camp. He led the receiver a bit too far, and perhaps (don't know this) he tipped his hand to Butler (or maybe Lockette did) since apparently Butler "just knew" what was coming. Either way, if the result of that play is an incompletion, then we aren't even talking about that play call.

What if Lynch fumbles on the 1 yard line to lose the game instead? Would people be up in arms about the play call being stupid? Of course not. I'm sure Carroll (or whoever called the play) had his reasons for choosing that play call, but it got thwarted by a fantastic defensive play. It's easy to do what Cowboyz1 suggested and just hand off three straight times to end the game. And suppose that had happened, but NE defended it and won anyway. Then we'd all be second guessing the "vanilla" play calling at the end because the tendency is to overreact to the results. Personally, I'd rather have a coaching staff that is willing to call plays that attempt to catch the defense off guard or attack weakness. Like the decision to go for the TD at the end of the first half - that's excellent! So many coaches don't take that shot but settle for 3. Coaches can't control play execution, only play calling. Had Wilson held the ball too long or completed a pass short of the goalline at the end of the first half, who would get the blame? Coaches for the play call or Wilson? So the reaction: the offense executed at the end of the first half (a brilliant play call), but didn't at the end of the game (worst call ever).

and damn NOO

absolutely not ..

No defending that play and play calling . You could take a guy from China right off a plane who has never seen a football let alone a football game and not know a damn thing and they would know with 100 % certainty it was a brutal and terrible call with vast majority of blame going on Carroll and OC ...cmon now are we kidding here ?

Edited by isleseeya

Amazing how many SEA players called out the play call. No way Bevell can come back.

It's four down terrority. Figure one play is a pass. But not that kind, outside for sure. Bad throw and bad effort too. Russell throws it back shoulder and it's probably a TD. The legend of Bill and Tom grows, incredible game and ending. Almost lost because of another wild catch in Glendale.

No and damn NO

NO !!!

and damn NOO

absolutely not ..

No defending that play and play calling . You could take a guy from China right off a plane who has never seen a football let alone a football game and not know a damn thing and they would know with 100 % certainty it was a brutal and terrible call with vast majority of blame going on Carroll and OC ...cmon now are we kidding here ?

THIS

It may even scare the poor chinamen right back on the next plane out of here too. He's says to himself "if nothing happens to a guy like that after doing something so wong, what chance does he have if he makes a simple error in judgment".

Marshawn Lynch was 1 for 5 on attempts from the 1 yard line this season.

This begs the question: How many plays did the Seahawks run from the 1 yard line in total?

As crazy as I think that play call was . . . I also would not have attempted a pass before halftime. I would have kicked the FG. Gambled once and it worked out. The second time did not.

To me, it was a fitting end to the NFC's playoff run, consider:

Dallas rips Detroit's fans hearts out on an official's call and last minute score.

Green Bay rips Dallas' fans hearts out on a challenge and an official's subsequent call.

Seattle rips Green Bay's fans hearts out on an improbable onside kick recovery and last minute score.

Now New England rips Seattle's fans hearts out on an interception of a questionable play call.

This was exactly how that game HAD to end.

• Like 1

Not a Carroll apologist - I'm asking because I'm not sure. Most likely, I'm just exposing my ignorance about how long it takes to execute a typical uptempo run play.

With 20 seconds and 1 timeout left -- is that plenty of time to execute 3 running plays? or would it have been pretty tight?

it was clear from his comments that Carrol didn't like the personnel match-up (3WRs out against NE's goal line D). Maybe he thought a running play there (without the match-up they wanted) would've taken too much time away -- instead of the quick slant.

Maybe he thought stopping the clock was worth the added risk a pass play involves?

Obviously, it blew up - I'm just trying to figure out what they were thinking.

Insane ending going from the Kearse catch to that interception two plays later.

• Like 1