[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gordon vs. Gurley

darin3

I must admit, I have a bit of a mancrush on Todd Gurley. The guy's just an absolute beast. I don't think I've ever seen such a powerful runner. Maybe AP or Lynch. This guy is every bit as good as those guys. But man, I hate his landing spot. What happened to Zac Stacy? They drafted Tre Mason and he's looked good. Gurley is by far the most talented back on the team and will likely "start" at some point but ugh. What a mess. They are going to use Mason. He's too talented, too. At this point Stacy and Cunningham are probably fodder.

I was all set to take Gurley at 1.01 in a rookie draft, but now I think that'd be a risky proposition. Just too many question marks in terms of sharing time. Yes Gio and Hill seem to be making it work in Cincy, but ugh. Gurley is an every-down back. Seems like with the injury history and timeshare that taking him at 1.01 in a rookie draft may be a mistake. Especially when....

A very talented back in Melvin Gordon landed in a sweet spot. San Diego hasn't had an effective rusher since LT. Branden Oliver is a nice little spark plug COP guy but no way he's going to eat into Gordon's value.

Been awhile since talented RBs have been taken in the 1st round of the NFL draft, and now one of them lands in a murky spot while the other one seems to have landed in a very nice one.

What are your thoughts on the two in terms of short and long term value?

Gurley gets to face SF, ARI and SEA defenses twice a year which makes it tougher for him. It blows me away that he could tear his ACL and now is the #1 RB taken. Do have to like Gordon's spot in SD. Going to have to think about where both end up ranked.

Gurley gets to face SF, ARI and SEA defenses twice a year which makes it tougher for him. It blows me away that he could tear his ACL and now is the #1 RB taken. Do have to like Gordon's spot in SD. Going to have to think about where both end up ranked.

Look at what AP did after his ACL tear. Athletes are just different these days. Gurley is a beast in the training room, like AP.

SF's D isn't what it used to be, but will still be tough. Facing SEA/ARI will suck, though.

But think of it this way... Lynch has to face some tough D's and he's a beast.

I just can't bring myself to succumb to my mancrush to take the guy based on the glut of other RBs that are there (and that have looked good, only to be replaced).

I have to just accept what AP did as being nonhuman. I cannot wrap my head around a torn ACL running for 2097 yards the next year.

All knees are different. Gurley going that high is a hugh risk. but what a stud. If the Rams basically hold him back for the first half of the season, play Stacy and Mason, he will be much better off. Is he AP or Jamaal Charles. or Kijana Carter? Not sure.

Now to Gordon. Is he your typical UW running back with outstanding #'s in college that never lives up to his hype in the NFL? He will certainly start right away and could put nice #'s year one and beyond.

I'll go Gordon in a keeper redraft, or definitely earlier this year

I think that Gurley will be the clear #1 every down back in STL by mid season. I think the Rams do not recognize what they have in Mason and will just let him go to waste. Fisher will run Gurley into the ground which will make him a modern day Priest Holmes.

The Rams making that pick sucks for fantasy, not because of anything to do with Gurley, but because it just flushes Mason's prime year down the crapper. The pick was also a stupid misuse of draft capital by the Rams given the other high end players on the board at #10 who would have plugged right into some serious needs.

• Like 2

Is he AP or Jamaal Charles. or Kijana Carter? Not sure.

I think Gurley is more of an AP/Lynch type RB while Jamaal Charles would be a great NFL comparison for Gordon.

I think that Gurley will be the clear #1 every down back in STL by mid season. I think the Rams do not recognize what they have in Mason and will just let him go to waste. Fisher will run Gurley into the ground which will make him a modern day Priest Holmes.

The Rams making that pick sucks for fantasy, not because of anything to do with Gurley, but because it just flushes Mason's prime year down the crapper. The pick was also a stupid misuse of draft capital by the Rams given the other high end players on the board at #10 who would have plugged right into some serious needs.

It's very sad - Mason showed some definite promise last year, I thought he could be the guy for STL. Sure, he's no Gurley, but there were much bigger needs that could have been addressed there (Parker at WR, Peat at OT).

I have the first pick in a rookie dynasty draft and was just waiting to see who those 2 fell to. Good QB play, fairly solid o-line, and no one really to take away that many carries...giving the nod to Gordon.

Gurley may miss the first month or two, and Mason should be the primary plus he's not exactly a slouch of a RB. Gurley has had some type of an injury the last 3 years in a row. He may have the higher ceiling but he also appears to me to have the most risk. The 1.01 pick should be as solid and safe as possible.

• Like 1

I like Gurley...if it weren't for going to the Rams, who have one of the most brutal schedules in the entire NFL every year, having to play Seattle, San Francisco, and Arizona 2x each behind a crappy-assed makeshift offensive line, and a putrid QB/WR tandem that scares absolutely no one at all...I might consider him. :thinking:

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

Look at what AP did after his ACL tear. Athletes are just different these days. Gurley is a beast in the training room, like AP.

SF's D isn't what it used to be, but will still be tough. Facing SEA/ARI will suck, though.

But think of it this way... Lynch has to face some tough D's and he's a beast.

I just can't bring myself to succumb to my mancrush to take the guy based on the glut of other RBs that are there (and that have looked good, only to be replaced).

Sounds to me like you have already made your decision, Gurley it is!

Just saw a thing on NFLN - Zac Stacy has told the front office today that he wants to be traded.

And the next day during the draft he was traded to the Jets their 7th round draft pick. WOW that sounds like a steal. And it opens things up more for Gordon and Mason.

If it means anything... my pendulum is starting to swing the other way. There's a reason the Rams picked the guy at #10 this year, and it's not to share time with Tre Mason. Mason is a nice little COP but Gurley is Beast Mode v2.

I think Gordon has the better 2015 value but 2016 and beyond Gurley could be a monster. Gordon could, too, but the upward trend would be steeper for Gurley I'm thinking.

For dynasty purposes I think Gurley may be the wise move. Redrafters should go with Gordon ahead of Gurley though.