[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sit Newton Week 1?

heehawks

I know this borders on wdis, but let's take a look anyway.

Cam Newton has a horrible track record against Denver. I think they are in his head big time and is a candidate for benching this week. The game is IN Denver as well.

So, do you sit him Week 1 over someone else? There are a bunch of games that will be high scoring affairs. Brees and Carr are gonna light things up. I think Big Ben and Cousins will too. As well as Rodgers and Bortles.

There is the age old saying here of "always start your studs", but I think in this case its worth starting someone else, just for this week, if they are worthy of course.

What do you all think? Who would you start over Newton this week?

(go ahead and move the thread if you think it needs it)

I never thought about benching Cam. I got him in one of my leagues.

I could go with Stafford against IND defense.

Cam has something to prove, but doing it in Week 1 at Mile High with a very good DEN defense is a very tall order.

I will have to ponder this..... :thinking:

I think cam has a solid week, however, there are some QBs, I would play ahead of him.

It's Cam Newton, the number one ranked QB in Fantasy Football, he's a must start! He's got to be hungry for revenge after that super bowl, plus as far QB leadership goes he has Denver beat. They still do not know who is going to get the start. I see him playing smart and taking control over this game early on. Also, imagine how demoralized you'd feel if you benched Cam to play say Big Ben and Cam throws up 32 points?

I say I'm starting him cause I own him in my main $$ league. If I was at all worried about starting him (there are the likes of Derek Carr & Matt Stafford still available today) I would pick up one of those guys. I personally think Denver's offense regresses drastically this year and the defense is on the field WAY more than they were last year. They're still a good defense (top 5) but I don't think they'll be anything close to the dominant defense last year. Cam also has more weapons this year. I'm not at all worried about not starting him - and wouldn't consider benching him unless your backup is someone like Andrew Luck in which I'm sure some team out there has both of them, but in real leagues its not.

Has there ever been a QB go first overall (among QBs) in drafts consistently that people actually benched in week one? I agree that you shouldn't have drafted him if you weren't prepared to start him every week. You think Cam and team haven't had this revenge game in mind? This is a new year, folks.

There are a few I'd bench him for, Carr being one of them. "Always start your studs" has always felt like strictly RB/WR/TE advice to me, where there's a huge point difference between player tiers. With QBs not having massive scoring differentials, I think matchups make a much larger difference. There's no way the panthers and broncos come anywhere near the point-fest Oakland/NO looks to be.

If, before the start of Week 1, you feel confident in speculating that those DEFs with all of those moving parts will perform at the same levels as they did last year, go ahead and play the favorable matchup to your heart's content. If not, feel free to start a known playmaker. Just my two cents.

If you (not at OP, just in general) can't start Cam each and every week then you shouldn't be drafting him as early as you had to in order to roster him.

Not to mention if you spent a really high pick on him what kind of backup QB do you that is likely to have a better game.

I not only have Cam but also have Denver's defense, so now what?? Tyrod Taylor is my backup, I have no idea what to do. Seriously thinking about benching Cam.

I have this in one league.

I decided to roll dice with Stafford. I have been going back and forth all day.

Denver defense has some players missing from last year. CAR defense has new CBs. Not to say it is a cake walk for DEN WRs, but DEN does have a new QB. There is bound to be mistakes. I have to say that I hope DEN special teams makes a good play, then both defenses keep it low scoring. I forgot, I have Gano in this league too. Go Gano with 5-6 FGs!!!

This league is a 12 team, so what the hell, I still get good play from either QB. Chances better with Stafford going against IND bad defense and without their best, Davis out of the game.

What fun is it to not take some risk.

Always start your studs, trying to OVERTHINK things based on the defense that the stud goes against will always bite you in the arse!!!!! This shouldn't even be on this forum....we here are better than to throw out bad strategy! Good luck to each of you and may championships come our way in 2016!

Always start your studs, trying to OVERTHINK things based on the defense that the stud goes against will always bite you in the arse!!!!! This shouldn't even be on this forum....we here are better than to throw out bad strategy! Good luck to each of you and may championships come our way in 2016!

I don't necessarily think people (well...me), are overthinking this one. I think this deserves some actual thought. Cam has NOT done well against Denver at all and is on the road. I will be starting him all other games, without thinking about it, but pretty sure I'm going with Cousins on this one, even though Cam was a high pick for me. I just see a history with him and Denver, which is not pretty. Sure Denver has a different D this year and has a very inexperienced QB going, which changes things quite a bit. But my gut just says to go with someone else, i.e. Cousins on Monday at home against a pretty weak Pitt defense against the pass. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't start a Tannehill, RGII, or a rookie, but I have no worries sitting him for this one game. I got him for the long haul and got a decent back up just for this reason. I could end up being dead wrong about this and loose because of it, but I just have that gut feeling and will own up to it if I'm way off base.

btw, thanks for the discussion guys, love the debate