[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I could be wrong, but we could see a Ware-West committee rest of the season

medalofhonor

Jamaal Charles is done. You might argue that Spencer Ware was the clear three down back when Charles missed time (basically all weeks except Week 6) and Charcandrick West was barely on the field. (Remember that West was injured too for a while).

I tend to think that there is a difference between Charles missing time for the first 8 weeks, and Charles missing the remainder of the season.

The difference is this : The Chiefs were riding Ware as an RB1 until Charles would eventually be healthy and they probably had plans to split workload between Ware and Charles rest of the season. (much like Week 6).

Now that Charles is out rest of the season (including the playoffs most likely), the Chiefs may want to protect both Ware and West for the long playoff run. And West has already shown last season as well as the previous week that he can possibly produce something equivalent to what an 80% healthy Charles would have.

In such a run-heavy offense looking to go all the way , it really would not make sense for them to force the workload on Ware after he comes back from concussion.

I must write that rather than Ware losing fantasy value, I feel both Ware and West will have fantasy value ROS, but probably RB2 value than RB1.

What do you guys think ?

Edited by medalofhonor

You make some really good points, and I largely agree with all of that. I think we'll see a lot of what we did last year in the second half of the season with these two. They were both putting up 20 fantasy points per games in PPR and have weekly value. They're very dynamic and complimentary of one another.

Yet Reid has never had an issue leaning more heavily on a single back, which is part of the reason why JC was so valuable. Not saying your theory is completely wrong, I actually think it would benefit Ware owners in the long run if his carries are dialed back a little. I'm just not so sure his coach is more concerned about his health than he is winning games.

• Like 1

Ware is also in the concussion protocol right now. So there is that to pay attention to. If he can't go, it's West. If he can go, Ware will still get the bulk of the carries. Probably 70/30 in my opinion.

Chiefs also signed Bishop Sankey for depth. After West the Chiefs have no depth at all.

Edited by Chief Dick

Nothing changes except now it's West caddying for Ware instead of Charles. It's actually easier now since a less effective Charles splitting carries with Ware probably does more damage than good for KC's offense. Now they can just ride Ware into the ground until he breaks, then ride West into the ground. The only way this becomes a time share is if Ware blows his chance by playing like poo (he has had fumble issues this year).

Good analysis makes a lot of sense and I agree that things are diff now that Charles is not back, so there is a chance to be more of a split, if they really care about keeping Ware fresh for the end of season and playoffs.

But I would ask who is thinking the Chiefs go deep in the playoffs?. I know the AFC outside the Pats is not stellar, but at this point Chiefs would be the #6 playoff team and face the #3 division winner (Houston), so maybe they advance to division round and would face NE. Do they (their fans, etc.) see them in the AFC title game, or SB?

Why are people assuming an RBBC is coming? Spencer Ware is the guy to own and a RB1 the rest of the way, and West is a desperation flex play at best (as long as Ware is healthy). So maybe West has value this weekend, but you're fooling yourselves if you think West is anything more than a lottery ticket.

• Like 1

the fact they signed the exact same contract after last season could suggest rbbc, but it could also just be the type of contract they usually give backup rbs. it's not like they were gonna just tell ware he was going to be the featured back and give him a larger contract if they didn't have to. and as has been pointed out above, it's not reid's style.

i think west will have a similar role as he's had all season (assuming ware is active). i mean, it's not like he hasn't done anything. he gets almost as many targets as ware. i'd expect that to continue and maybe increase a little bit with charles officially done. what he does with them, whether he scores TDs or gets big yardage is something to hope for. i'd think it would be a legit committee if west was actually better in the passing game, or any aspect of the game really. but every number says ware is a better player.

there's a reason ware got the job in the summer, got drafted by the seahawks while west was a udfa, played for LSU (and started for a year before jeremy hill got there) while west played for a small christian school.

ware ypc '15: 5.6

ware ypc '16: 5.0

west ypc '15: 4.0

west ypc '16: 4.2

ware '15-16 catch rate: 79.3%

west '15-16 catch rate: 63.5%

The yac numbers make no sense to me cause west has more yac than actual receiving yds BOTH seasons (same numbers on multiple websites). only reason i can think for that is yac gained on plays called back by penalty. yds per catch though:

ware 15-16: 13.8

west 15-16: 7.8

i doubt ware's seeing a lot of downfield targets so this tells me he's the superior runner after the catch. better player in every aspect of the game.

• Like 1

Spencer Ware not practicing Thursday

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/346830/spencer-ware-not-practicing-thursday?ls=roto:KC:topheadlines

Spencer Ware (concussion) will not practice Thursday.

This all but rules him out for Sunday. Charcandrick West will get the start with Ware likely to sit and is a solid RB1 in a good matchup.
Nov 3 - 12:54 PM

Spencer Ware not practicing Thursday

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/346830/spencer-ware-not-practicing-thursday?ls=roto:KC:topheadlines

Spencer Ware (concussion) will not practice Thursday.

This all but rules him out for Sunday. Charcandrick West will get the start with Ware likely to sit and is a solid RB1 in a good matchup.
Nov 3 - 12:54 PM

Was just coming here to post this.

West is a nice RB1 play this week. He'll touch the ball at least 20 times against a poor D. Nice.