[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Unique Fantasy Football Ideas, do you have any?

Profound

I have been in some weird leagues with some unique rules

1.) A shut-out on defense is worth 50 points

2.) If a player gets 100 yards receiving or 100 yards rushing it's worth an extra 10 bonus points

3.) The two teams that make the championship get the opportunity to do a redraft from the entire league, just the two of them

4.) Roster of 

QB

WR/RB/TE

WR/RB/TE

WR/RB/TE

WR/RB/TE

WR/RB/TE

WR/RB/TE

Def

Kicker

Personally I hated number 2 the most because if a player got 98 yards and 2 TDs they got basically just as much as a player with 100 yards and no TDs.

What have you guys come across and which one do you enjoy the most or least? 

Edited by Profound

I really hate the bonus points for 100 yards rush/rec or 300 yards passing.  It's completely arbitrary.

I've played in leagues where you get 3 bonus pts for a 20-39 yard TD and 6 bonus points for a 40+ yard TD.  That wasn't so bad.  Some players that lived or died on those deep bombs like DeSean Jackson could score a lot of points.

A buddy of mine is in a league where it is 1 pt per reception, rush, and completion.  He said the point totals get out of hand in that league.  Not sure I'd like to play in a league like that.

Saw an alternative to PPR where you got the scoring below (or something close) due to complaints against certain RB/WR getting a lot of points from lots of catches for very few yards. Havent played in a league like this.

0-9 yards: 0.25 ppr

10-19 yards: 0.5 ppr

20-29 yards: 0.75 ppr

30+ yards: 1 ppr

7 hours ago, Dolphin_Akie said:

Saw an alternative to PPR where you got the scoring below (or something close) due to complaints against certain RB/WR getting a lot of points from lots of catches for very few yards. Havent played in a league like this.

0-9 yards: 0.25 ppr

10-19 yards: 0.5 ppr

20-29 yards: 0.75 ppr

30+ yards: 1 ppr

Interesting idea, I'd add zero for any reception of negative yardage. 

9 hours ago, League_Champion said:

You start the 9 best players regardless of position. You can have 9 QB's starting if you like. It's a modern day FF Battle Royale

Wow that beat my league I am creating next year.

There is one QB, one K, one defense and all the rest are flex WR/RB/TE

There is one guy who was complaining he doesn't get to start enough tight ends this year.  Figured he will just throw his money away now, lol.  Who wants to start more than one TE?

2 hours ago, darin3 said:

Agreed.  Does NFL or league management software track this kind of thing though?

I don't see it on CBS, they have stuff with targets as well as receptions, first down receptions (or rate), average per reception and receptions of 20+ or 40+   You could do PPR stuff then another one for average per reception to try and even it out. 

We still don't do PPR so not a factor for us. 

18 minutes ago, michaelredd9 said:

Each week the high point scorer gets to have sex with the low point scorer's wife.

I came to this thread thinking something along the lines that the winner gets to do a wife swap, with the loser of their choice... to find it already posted.

If you play in a D/ST league have the the performance of the team you play impact your opponents players. 

IE: You play say the Rams D/ST and they hold their opponent to under 100 rushing yards but give up 400 passing yards

You could create rules that subtract a % of points from any RBs your opponent starts and adds a % of points to the QB position. For WRs & TEs the % would be based off yardage distribution. Alas, no management software can handle this so it'd never come to fruition. Also, you can still keep normal D/ST scoring for sacks, fumbles etc. 

The key, beyond a league manager coming up with the ability to run this, would be to create arbitrary thresholds for rushing, passing, receiving, 1st downs, 3rd down conversion etc.  

Basically this is Full Impact Scoring for D/ST instead of IDP. 

Edited by keggerz

On 12/21/2018 at 8:53 PM, millworkguy said:

start offensive linemen, i'm sure we could invent a scoring system for them (runs over x yards gained) ( ypc, time in the pocket ...) 

allow substitutions at half time... take 1 player out, sub in another  - (must be posted prior to 90 min after kickoff)

My local is IDP so we play an offensive unit. Starts with 5 points and gets 1 pt. for every 25 yards rushing and 1 pt. for every 25 yards passing. -1 pt. for each sack they allow.

I always thought it would be interesting to give each owner one "Mulligan" for the season to swap out a player in their lineup after the games are over.  

This biggest problem would be how to set up the rules on when to use it and how to set it up.  If someone uses it on you can you also yours or would you have to blindly post to use it by Wed and it the other didn't use his then only your would apply.  Only use in Regular season or save to the playoffs?

One thing we have done for a few years is to allow owners to post backup players for anyone who is questionable in the final injury report.

If the questionable player does not play then the backup player is used.  If they player gets any targets or stats they are deemd to have played.  If they show up in the play by play listing (i.e. penalty on them) they are also deemed to have played.

This really helps for the late start game time decision players and allowing owners to play their best lineups.

Would love to see an idea of how to get points for penalties called for/against them.  You draw a P.I. penalty in the end zone on 3rd or 4th down,  and therefore end up with the ball on the 1 and a new set of downs, that should be worth some points.  Your idp goes offside on 4th and 1, giving the offense 5 yards and a new set of downs , you should lose points....

Edited by millworkguy

On 23/12/2018 at 4:42 PM, Judge Smales said:

One thing we have done for a few years is to allow owners to post backup players for anyone who is questionable in the final injury report.

If the questionable player does not play then the backup player is used.  If they player gets any targets or stats they are deemd to have played.  If they show up in the play by play listing (i.e. penalty on them) they are also deemed to have played.

This really helps for the late start game time decision players and allowing owners to play their best lineups.

We pondered this in my main league as we're all based in England so TNF, SNF and MNF are usually too late for us to find out about gametime decision for these players. Went against though in the end.