[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bengals vs Rams (Superbowl)

League_Champion

Anything to make of the "home field advantage" for the Rams?  Man, back in 2017, I remember thinking how awesome it would have been for MIN to have had home field advantage throughout the playoffs (and then the SB in MIN).  Of course, they choked against DET (at home), which basically gave away that home field advantage.  Then, the miracle against NOS, followed by a complete butt-whooping at the hands of the Eagles in the NFC title game.  Ugh.

This feels different than that felt like it WOULD have been.  Is there any advantage at all for the Rams?  For one, as we all know, most SB tickets go to corporations, so the percentage of seats taken by actual fans of the two teams is watered down to begin with.  But, more importantly, the Rams only managed to fill about 1/3 of their stadium LAST week (it was roughly 65% 49er fans).  That's not a good sign, but maybe the Rams fans were saving their $$ for the SB?  :thinking:  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Anything to make of the "home field advantage" for the Rams?  Man, back in 2017, I remember thinking how awesome it would have been for MIN to have had home field advantage throughout the playoffs (and then the SB in MIN).  Of course, they choked against DET (at home), which basically gave away that home field advantage.  Then, the miracle against NOS, followed by a complete butt-whooping at the hands of the Eagles in the NFC title game.  Ugh.

This feels different than that felt like it WOULD have been.  Is there any advantage at all for the Rams?  For one, as we all know, most SB tickets go to corporations, so the percentage of seats taken by actual fans of the two teams is watered down to begin with.  But, more importantly, the Rams only managed to fill about 1/3 of their stadium LAST week (it was roughly 65% 49er fans).  That's not a good sign, but maybe the Rams fans were saving their $$ for the SB?  :thinking:  :lol:

As you mention it'll be different for the SB, but local radio was saying it was 65% RAMS fans, not the other way around, last week.

Still, there has to be at least a slight advantage to playing on your home turf.  

The 49ers had a lot of fans at that game, but I don't think it was 2/3 may have been close to half. They were loud, but then as the Rams were moving towards the win their side was really loud. And I doubt even if more tickets were available that Bengals fans would travel in those numbers. 

Regarding home field advantage, not having to travel somewhere else for the game should help. Not sure if the players and coaches would still be in a hotel a few days before the game, or just treat it like any other regular season game and show up that morning. 

The Rams (even recent additions like Von Miller and OBJ) have played several games at SoFi, the Bengals have not played their yet, despite playing the Chargers both of the seasons since it opened. So if there is anything unique about playing there, getting used to stuff inside like how the sunlight comes in thru the glass, roof etc (SB will start a couple hours before sunset in LA). 

31 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

fun fact... 80% of the worlds private jets* will be in LA for the game. 

* that doesn't recreational airplanes, just actual jets

I was curious about this bc that number seemed way too high to me. I don't know how they are calculating it but this report seems to indicate there are roughly 22K private jets worldwide. (63% or 13,700  in the US) https://www.stratosjets.com/blog/private-jet-statistics/#121_How_many_private_jets_are_there_in_the_United_States And other reports from prev SB's said something like 1000 to 1500 jets fly in. It is LA so I am sure it will be higher, but I'd be surprised at much more than 3-4K?

https://www.sherpareport.com/aircraft/super-bowl-private-jets-numbers.html

Edited by purplemonster

Just now, LordOpie said:

:shrug:

I don't know the definitions. My wife works for a private jet company. Half the team is excited for all this, the other half is in absolute panic. Her company is sending personnel from all over the USA to assist with the madness. Which leaves all the other locations short handed for departures and arrivals at those locations. My wife wanted to go, but they need the managers to stay put. 

Ah interesting. There is a small airport near me and it is sort of fascinating. The private plane world is its own little world 

17 minutes ago, purplemonster said:

I was curious about this bc that number seemed way too high to me. I don't know how they are calculating it but this report seems to indicate there are roughly 22K private jets worldwide. (63% or 13,700  in the US) https://www.stratosjets.com/blog/private-jet-statistics/#121_How_many_private_jets_are_there_in_the_United_States And other reports from prev SB's said something like 600 to 1500 jets fly in. It is LA so I am sure it will be higher, but I cant imagine much more than 3-4K.

2 minutes ago, LordOpie said:

:shrug:

I don't know the definitions. My wife works for a private jet company. Half the team is excited for all this, the other half is in absolute panic. Her company is sending personnel from all over the USA to assist with the madness. Which leaves all the other locations short handed for departures and arrivals at those locations. My wife wanted to go, but they need the managers to stay put. 

Did she provide the fun fact? 

If the 22K private jets worldwide is even close to accurate, 80% would be 17600, or about 10 time the maximum from prior SBs, which seems unlikely. 

A bigger factor in this 80% figure might be just how many private jets are normally in LA to begin with, because they are based there. 

14 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Did she provide the fun fact? 

If the 22K private jets worldwide is even close to accurate, 80% would be 17600, or about 10 time the maximum from prior SBs, which seems unlikely. 

A bigger factor in this 80% figure might be just how many private jets are normally in LA to begin with, because they are based there. 

I would think that's probably true I would imagine the LA area would have the highest concentration of private jets in the country along with NY so those are probably getting counted. I wouldn't be surprised though if a ton of people are going. This pandemic has gone on quite a while and this is one of the first major parties, in a huge international city. 

1 hour ago, purplemonster said:

I would think that's probably true I would imagine the LA area would have the highest concentration of private jets in the country along with NY so those are probably getting counted. I wouldn't be surprised though if a ton of people are going. This pandemic has gone on quite a while and this is one of the first major parties, in a huge international city. 

No doubt, hopefully those flocking to LA for the SB realize it is not FL or TX and has lots of restrictions, including mask and vaccine requirements for many things. 

3 hours ago, darin3 said:

As you mention it'll be different for the SB, but local radio was saying it was 65% RAMS fans, not the other way around, last week.

Still, there has to be at least a slight advantage to playing on your home turf.  

I agree with the bolded.  As for the other part, there's no way they had more than half, unless they were wearing red.  :lol:

From the LA Times - Rams Fans Outnumbered Again

Rams fans were outnumbered. An unofficial tally estimates it was a 60-40 split, though both sides were loud enough for both teams to use a silent snap count on offense.

I do think it's an interesting question.  In my opinion, no fan base is more fickle than that of LA.  That said, if there was a fan base that has the money to buy the tickets for the SB, it would probably be them.  It will be interesting to see how it plays out.  

34 minutes ago, darin3 said:

I do like the over quite a bit.

NFL over/unders  this year killed any profits I was making vs the spread.  2020 as a whole NFL betting was way more kind to me than 2021 NFL betting, but the exact opposite for fantasy.  Go figure.  

This is all the analysis you need.

• Teams wearing white have dominated recent Super Bowls. In the 17 Super Bowls that have been played since 2005, the team wearing white has won 14 of them, which makes it slightly surprising that the Bengals didn't go with white. Last year, the Buccaneers were the home team playing the Super Bowl in their home stadium and they still decided to wear their road white uniform. 
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, gilthorp said:

This is all the analysis you need.

• Teams wearing white have dominated recent Super Bowls. In the 17 Super Bowls that have been played since 2005, the team wearing white has won 14 of them, which makes it slightly surprising that the Bengals didn't go with white. Last year, the Buccaneers were the home team playing the Super Bowl in their home stadium and they still decided to wear their road white uniform. 

This isn't something I have really put much thought into before. But NFL at least for a while, was unique in allowing the home team to select what color they'd want to wear. The Cowboys in particular are somewhat unique in that they essentially always play in white at home, although others do not infrequently as well, like WFT (Commanders), Bengals, Titans etc. http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050919 There is some research in the NHL wearing dark jerseys gets you more penalties, maybe the same in the NFL, I don't know. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258189625_Can_Uniform_Color_Color_Aggression_Quasi-Experimental_Evidence_From_Professional_Ice_Hockey

11 hours ago, purplemonster said:

This isn't something I have really put much thought into before. But NFL at least for a while, was unique in allowing the home team to select what color they'd want to wear. The Cowboys in particular are somewhat unique in that they essentially always play in white at home, although others do not infrequently as well, like WFT (Commanders), Bengals, Titans etc. http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=lukas/050919 There is some research in the NHL wearing dark jerseys gets you more penalties, maybe the same in the NFL, I don't know. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/258189625_Can_Uniform_Color_Color_Aggression_Quasi-Experimental_Evidence_From_Professional_Ice_Hockey

Just an odd coincidence, no real correlation in team uniform color and chance of winning the SB. Since they cut off their "analysis" with 2007, what were the results in the 40+ SBs before then? 

I had heard wearing lighter colors outdoors, in the sun, in summer heat mattered. But most of those factors are not present for a SB.