[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Russell Wilson to Broncos

darin3

4 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Most everyone in Seattle rattled about this trade. My son was actually shook up more than I expected him to be.  He's 17 and Wilson was a constant lifetime hero, then he's suddenly gone.

I can imagine. He was the face and leader of that franchise for what seems like forever, not to mention a great ambassador to the City. The one for me was Brian Dawkins, it killed me to see him in another uniform. 

5 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Most everyone in Seattle rattled about this trade. My son was actually shook up more than I expected him to be.  He's 17 and Wilson was a constant lifetime hero, then he's suddenly gone.

Seeing Russ scrambling all over the field in the SB seems so very long ago, hard to believe that was only 7-8 years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Shaft said:

The Broncos have had between 8-10 during that same time frame. 

Many teams have 2 different starters just in one season, so only using 2 in 10 years is admirable. Wilson went 9+ years without missing a game, and he got hit quite a bit. 

Broncos QB starters - 21 = Bridgewater & Lock; 20 = Lock, Driskell, Rypien; 19 = Flacco, Lock, Allen  that's 6 in just the past 3 seasons.

If there's a record the new Browns probably hold it, seems like about 50 QBs (but may only be 25-30) since their return in 99. 

Was just reading this, Seahawks got a lot in the trade but don't get a particularly good grade. More top players on offense will be traded, two of them who agreed to long term deals recently believing Wilson would be there thru those contracts. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/russell-wilson-trade-grades-broncos-land-high-marks-in-blockbuster-deal-seahawks-gain-lots-but-lose-overall/

17 hours ago, purplemonster said:

t. So was the major breakdown Russ wanting more input on how the team was constructed, hires, etc and not getting it? 

Apparently Waldron (current O coordinator) was stamped and approved by Russel.

I'm bummed that trading an elite QB had to happen in Seattle.  I'm really interested in how this works out in Denver. My gut says it was stupid (for Seattle).  Now I cheer against him extensively, not just for spite; but for better picks for Seattle in 2023.  

The breakup was apparently a long time coming.  Started when Russel threw the INT at the 1 yard line in the SB.  I think the organization fell on their sword hard and Wilson skirted by.  That play was hit an open guy or throw it out of bounds.  Wilson was the one who faltered and the coaching staff took all the blame.  

That was kind of a common scenario from season to season.....Wilson won a lot of games....but he flat out blew games and wouldn't admit to it....but he won way more than he blew.    

I'd take back Wilson in a heart beat....but for how great he was/is........no one on the team ever 'hung out' with him...while some of his teammates will give him his due publicly,  a ton of them really don't like him. 

I'd much rather be a Denver fan than a Seattle fan next year.   Broncos got way better and Seattle got a lot worse.   But  I hope Bosa and Mack sack him at least 100 times and then Wilson starts complaining about O-line protection. 

Edited by Bobby Brown
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

much rather be a Denver fan than a Seattle fan next year.   Broncos got way better and Seattle got a lot worse.   But  I hope Bosa and Mack sack him at least 100 times and then Wilson starts complaining about O-line protection.

I'd be excited if I was a Seattle fan, they made out really well. He had more than enough chances to win in Seattle and now it's time to move on. I just don't understand why they aren't going full nuclear and loading up Jets style for 2023's draft. Maybe they have an eye on Watson? 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, LordOpie said:

New coach... New qb... New owner... New hope! 

What new owner?   Just because the team went up for sale doesn't mean that whole ordeal is over.

https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2022/02/20/who-will-buy-the-denver-broncos-next-owner-tracker/

Personally I'm rooting for Jay-Z or Kanye West. 

14 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Apparently Waldron (current O coordinator) was stamped and approved by Russel.

I'm bummed that trading an elite QB had to happen in Seattle.  I'm really interested in how this works out in Denver. My gut says it was stupid (for Seattle).  Now I cheer against him extensively, not just for spite; but for better picks for Seattle in 2023.  

The breakup was apparently a long time coming.  Started when Russel threw the INT at the 1 yard line in the SB.  I think the organization fell on their sword hard and Wilson skirted by.  That play was hit an open guy or throw it out of bounds.  Wilson was the one who faltered and the coaching staff took all the blame.  

That was kind of a common scenario from season to season.....Wilson won a lot of games....but he flat out blew games and wouldn't admit to it....but he won way more than he blew.    

I'd take back Wilson in a heart beat....but for how great he was/is........no one on the team ever 'hung out' with him...while some of his teammates will give him his due publicly,  a ton of them really don't like him. 

I'd much rather be a Denver fan than a Seattle fan next year.   Broncos got way better and Seattle got a lot worse.   But  I hope Bosa and Mack sack him at least 100 times and then Wilson starts complaining about O-line protection. 

Interesting take. I hear you, it blows to lose a good QB, but Seattle did get some good assets. If it wasn't working, it wasn't working so you make the best of it. You could have gotten more from the Commanders but Russ wasn't having that. Kind of a rock and a hard place it seems to me. The NFL is getting increasingly QB centric as times goes on. It's really hard to win, especially a SB without a really good one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
9 minutes ago, Big John said:

Just signed a 5-year $245M contract extension. 

With about 2/3 ($165M) guaranteed. His current contract didn't expire until after 2023, so this means he's got a 7 year deal with the Broncos which would run until Russ turns 40. 

His current cap numbers are 24 & 27 million the next 2 seasons, that deal is certainly going to elevate that number starting in 2024. 

I almost kept him on my team this year, and may still draft him as my starting QB. I think he will flourish there as their young receivers continue to improve. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2022 at 9:29 AM, stevegrab said:

With about 2/3 ($165M) guaranteed. His current contract didn't expire until after 2023, so this means he's got a 7 year deal with the Broncos which would run until Russ turns 40. 

His current cap numbers are 24 & 27 million the next 2 seasons, that deal is certainly going to elevate that number starting in 2024. 

I almost kept him on my team this year, and may still draft him as my starting QB. I think he will flourish there as their young receivers continue to improve. 

He's my qb1 in a deep 2QB league.  I'll call it here.  Broncos / Saints Superbowl this year.  

😉

• Like 1