[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Baker Mayfield to the Panthers

DMD

2 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Good move by Panthers.  Their roster isn't that bad.  Mayfield is a good fit.   Next domino to fall is likely Jimmy G to Browns.  I don't think they're settled with Brisset.

First some details of the trade, from a story I'm reading Mercury News

In making the trade, all three parties involved agreed to some financial considerations to make the deal work. According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, Mayfield is taking a discount of about $3.5 million from his salary, while the Browns agreed to pay $10.5 million of their now-departed quarterback’s remaining salary. Carolina is only paying Mayfield about $5 million.

Why did it happen now?

I had heard last night that the Seahawks openly stated they are not considering Mayfield at all, and are happy with Drew Lock and Geno Smith. Maybe that ended the potential interest from multiple teams and forced CLE/Mayfield to get a deal done.  

As far as Jimmy G to CLE...

I don't see that happening but I could be wrong. I think that the Browns are convinced (have deluded themselves) Watson won't be suspended long, or that Brisset will be good enough if he is. But I also don't think they'd go after a relatively big name like Jimmy G, what would they offer SF for him? I suppose they could send him a similar pick and get SF and Jimmy to make concessions on his salary. But it also does not appear SF needs to trade or release him on any timeline relative to salary cap, he's counting nearly $27M for 2022, and they can cut all but 1.4M of that with any trade/release, even after June 1 (a cutoff date that often impacts salary cap issues). 

Depending on playing time, it could be a 4th that the Browns get. 

1 hour ago, irish said:

Depending on playing time, it could be a 4th that the Browns get. 

Still mostly a useless pick. Its better than nothing, there was not much market for him and a move needed to be made. The only way this ends up looking good for the Browns, Mayfield flames out, never starts more than a few more NFL games and Watson doesn't miss much time and leads the Browns to a SB title in 3-4 years. 

This is going to make the Browns season/home opener interesting with Mayfield and the Panthers coming to town. Doubt the Browns have their shiny new QB for that game. 

6 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Still mostly a useless pick. Its better than nothing, there was not much market for him and a move needed to be made. The only way this ends up looking good for the Browns, Mayfield flames out, never starts more than a few more NFL games and Watson doesn't miss much time and leads the Browns to a SB title in 3-4 years. 

This is going to make the Browns season/home opener interesting with Mayfield and the Panthers coming to town. Doubt the Browns have their shiny new QB for that game. 

Agreed, was just making sure the info was updated as it was stated in the OP that it was a 5th rounder, which it is. But it could become a 4th.

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Still mostly a useless pick. Its better than nothing, there was not much market for him and a move needed to be made. The only way this ends up looking good for the Browns, Mayfield flames out, never starts more than a few more NFL games and Watson doesn't miss much time and leads the Browns to a SB title in 3-4 years

I think the Browns did the best they could considering the circumstances. Teams weren't exactly knocking down their door for Mayfield. This season is probably a wash for the Browns but if Watson comes back next season all will be forgotten. 

Pretty sure my Hawks would've kicked the tires on Mayfield, despite public comments to the contrary.  They certainly didn't want him that bad.  I really hope they aren't considering Jimmy G for substantial draft capital.  Lock or Geno is perfectly fine for a 1 year band aid with Lock being a potential lottery ticket.  2 picks in the upper half of the 2023 draft is a plausibility.

Apparently the Panthers were looking for Baker to take an even bigger pay cut, about double what he agreed to. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-wanted-baker-mayfield-to-take-a-pay-cut-of-more-than-7-million-per-report/

And this guy (apparently works for SI covering Panthers) thinks the Browns will regret the move. The entire situation maybe if Watson is a bust. But not the trade of Baker, there was no way they were going to keep him and have him play in 2022, no matter what happens with Watson. That bridge was burned long ago, and a trade needed to be made. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/author/https-www-si-com-nfl-panthers-user-schuyler-20callihan

Local sports media is calling on the Browns to "do something now, sign another QB, Watson won't play much or at all and Brisset isn't good enough, or might get hurt".  Though few are mentioning Garoppalo.

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Local sports media is calling on the Browns to "do something now, sign another QB, Watson won't play much or at all and Brisset isn't good enough, or might get hurt".  Though few are mentioning Garoppalo

What kind of cap room do they have to work with? The only half decent QB left is Jimmy G and he's not exactly cheap. 

10 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

What kind of cap room do they have to work with? The only half decent QB left is Jimmy G and he's not exactly cheap. 

If Watson is suspended more then half the season, they get room from his suspension 

1 hour ago, millworkguy said:

If Watson is suspended more then half the season, they get room from his suspension 

They don't need that, they already have something like $48M available in salary cap space

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cleveland-browns

The bigger question if they're looking to make a trade is what assets do they have to offer to another team. Not much after trading a bunch of high picks. I suppose they could trade the pick they got for Baker :) 

5 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

They don't need that, they already have something like $48M available in salary cap space

The bigger question if they're looking to make a trade is what assets do they have to offer to another team. Not much after trading a bunch of high picks. I suppose they could trade the pick they got for Baker :) 

Would it matter if they sign another QB, what's the difference? It's not like we're talking about the Chiefs or Bills who are elite and contending for a Superbowl this season. Perhaps to appease the fans?? 

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Would it matter if they sign another QB, what's the difference? It's not like we're talking about the Chiefs or Bills who are elite and contending for a Superbowl this season. Perhaps to appease the fans?? 

they have a lot of solid pieces...

with baker they are competitive. with watson they are competitive.  now they have regressed a few steps

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

they have a lot of solid pieces...

with baker they are competitive. with watson they are competitive.  now they have regressed a few steps

Except for a QB, at least until Watson comes back. Assuming he's the same of course. 

Edited by League_Champion

13 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Baker must of been a real pain in the ass for them to sour on him so fast, especially in favor of Watson's baggage. The Browns had to know that this season could be a wash if they traded for Watson but at least they'll have a QB that they can build around for the future. I know it sucks right now but it will ultimately be a good "football" move. 

https://nypost.com/2022/07/08/baker-mayfield-widely-viewed-as-childish-and-immature-by-browns/

I guess LC forgets how the 2020 Browns were a few plays away from the AFC title game, nearly beating the Chiefs. They have the talent to make a run, if they have even decent QB play (don't need elite level like Watson). 

7 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I guess LC forgets how the 2020 Browns were a few plays away from the AFC title game, nearly beating the Chiefs. They have the talent to make a run, if they have even decent QB play (don't need elite level like Watson). 

All in a sudden they're the New England Patriots? 

😂 Seriously, you're giving me a flukey run where they won 1 WILDCARD GAME against the Steelers who all but gift wrapped it for the Browns? The Eagles Won a Superbowl in 2018, believe me a lot has changed since then. 

I LOVE Watson as a QB but who knows what the nucleus of this team is going to look like when he finally comes back. They'll be a year older and a year deeper into some of these crappy contracts, there's no guarantees. How did he do in Houston? That being said you're going to enjoy watching a real NFL QB every week. And yes, I was right about your Boy Mayfield, say it. He was so good they had to pay someone to take him 😂. 

• Sad 1