[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McCaffrey traded to niners

Bobby Brown

I know it's only one game and CMC will see the field more next week.  But, trading away so many draft picks to then immediately get blown away by an AFC contender at home isn't a good look.  At some point, talent at skills position has diminishing returns when you have a lot of mouths to feed.  You need guys to compliment each other as not everyone can be the focal point of the offense.

I see Jimmy G has an okay day stat wise, but I still think he's a lot to overcome as a starting QB against the best teams in the NFL.  No matter how much talent is around him.

14 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

I know it's only one game and CMC will see the field more next week.  But, trading away so many draft picks to then immediately get blown away by an AFC contender at home isn't a good look.  At some point, talent at skills position has diminishing returns when you have a lot of mouths to feed.  You need guys to compliment each other as not everyone can be the focal point of the offense.

I see Jimmy G has an okay day stat wise, but I still think he's a lot to overcome as a starting QB against the best teams in the NFL.  No matter how much talent is around him.

Well I think that was everyone's question. The Niners don't seem SB bound even with cmc. So why give up the capital. Maybe they wanted to keep things interesting. Jimmy G is unpredictable, can have good games, but hard to see a scenario where he is good enough long enough for a SB

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

O-line has been decimated.  they got two back, but still had trouble in pass protection. the game was pretty close for the duration.  I don't believe that the results vs KCC are a great litmus test for how good they can be

Edited by Bier Meister

1 hour ago, Bier Meister said:

O-line has been decimated.  they got two back, but still had trouble in pass protection. the game was pretty close for the duration.  I don't believe that the results vs KCC are a great litmus test for how good they can be

This exactly… But McCaffery move is yes for benefit this year but also for their window to go for it all that I believe is 3-4 years with the young talent they have. Everyone is gonna have their opinions especially when you get beat by a score like that at home. Let’s see where they are at the end of the year and make judgements. See Philadelphia Phillies for reference

• Like 1

You guys.  McCaffrey came in on Friday, suited up on Sunday and played 21 snaps, contributing 38 rushing yards and had 2 catches for 24 yards.  I hate the extrapolating game normally, but let's just say he played close to all 69 snaps.  OK maybe he wouldn't do that since they do have a productive Jeff Wilson.  Let's say even twice the snaps.  76 yards rushing, 4 catches for 48 yards isn't bad.  I bet he's a stud in a week or two, and will be the overall #1 in PPR in '23 and beyond.  Shanny will figure out ways to get this guy the ball in space.

41 minutes ago, darin3 said:

You guys.  McCaffrey came in on Friday, suited up on Sunday and played 21 snaps, contributing 38 rushing yards and had 2 catches for 24 yards.  I hate the extrapolating game normally, but let's just say he played close to all 69 snaps.  OK maybe he wouldn't do that since they do have a productive Jeff Wilson.  Let's say even twice the snaps.  76 yards rushing, 4 catches for 48 yards isn't bad.  I bet he's a stud in a week or two, and will be the overall #1 in PPR in '23 and beyond.  Shanny will figure out ways to get this guy the ball in space.

Of course.  I mentioned a presser earlier that  he would be limited.

dude went to Stanford.  He is doing fine and will learn more every week

2 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I don't believe that the results vs KCC are a great litmus test for how good they can be

This was posted on another board by a SF Fan:

When down at halftime:
This season: 2 games (0-2 record)
Since 2017: 37 games (7-30 record)

When down after 3 quarters:
This season: 2 games (0-2 record)
Since 2017: 35 games (4-31 record)

This season, they've lost 2 games they've had double digit leads in.

That's an insane inability to come back for a team whose won as many games as SF has since 2017.  I'm not sure I see McCaffery tipping the scales to the promise land. San Fran has already a SB caliber team, everywhere but QB, before they made the CMC trade for awhile now. 

The above stats have to be part of the reason that 49er brass is so anxious to transition to Trey Lance. Even thought they may have been a lesser team this year for it.  

• Like 1

I will defend Jimmy G. It starts with his offensive line and play calling duties. You have 2.5 seconds as a QB to get the ball out of your hands in the NFL. When Jimmy threw the ball under 2.5 seconds the results were good. Anything longer than 3 seconds or more ended badly because he does not posses scrambling skills. The offensive coordinator has to play to Jimmy's strength because he's disciplined about staying in the pocket. 

Edited by gijoerock
Updated
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

This was posted on another board by a SF Fan:

That's an insane inability to come back for a team whose won as many games as SF has since 2017.  I'm not sure I see McCaffery tipping the scales to the promise land. San Fran has already a SB caliber team, everywhere but QB, before they made the CMC trade for awhile now. 

The above stats have to be part of the reason that 49er brass is so anxious to transition to Trey Lance. Even thought they may have been a lesser team this year for it.  

I think that is more of a coaching issue than a jimmy issue

• Like 1