[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lamar Jackson Teams blackballing or just smart football decision?

T-Scorp

There is a lot of chatter about Lamar being black balled by NFL teams for various reasons including not having an agent.  Ravens supposedly gave him a very good offer but he wanted D Watson guarantee type contract (which IMO the Browns should have never given to Watson).  Now there are reports that he is now not asking for a ton of guaranteed moneys but no real interest in him and he may even sit out next season. 

There are numerous opinions about the level of QB Jackson really is.  He is a former MVP (2019) but has not duplicated those numbers and is also injury prone as of late.  His QB Style may not work for every team.  Ravens have not put a good receiving corps around him (but GB did the same for Rodgers and he was productive)  He has 4 playoff starts and only 1 win ( exactly the same as Kirk Cousins!)  In those playoff games Kirk has 5  passing TDs and 1 Int and Lamar has 3  passing TDs and 5 ints.  It looks like the Viking are ready to move on from Kirk after this year. 

In MY opinion, Lamar is a very good QB.  Probably a top 10 QB.   However, his QB style and recent injury history is going to limit his options especially for the type of money is seems he is asking for.  If he can't run, will he be able to be productive through the air?  Should he be paid Mahomes, Allen, Rodgers money?   Wilson, Prescott or Watson seemed to be very over paid so are teams using that as a measuring stick?   Looking at Cousins, Goff, Jimmy G and Carr's contracts and is he more in line with those? 

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out! 

Edit to add that it looks like Lamar is now requesting a trade from the Ravens...     

Edited by T-Scorp

Whatever it is I don't think it ends well. He won't get what he is looking for, he won't play for a team that is as good as the Ravens (though BAL slipping back in AFC clearly behind CIN now in the North). And he will generally not improve his lot going forward by all of this. Maybe he doesn't care, maybe he's made enough millions and will just walk away if he doesn't get what he wants. But that seems to be the rare exception among elite athletes. 

It's a combination of everything. He's a good, not elite QB who is over valuing the market right now. Teams don't want to follow suit with guaranteed money like the Browns did, especially for an often hurt QB who hasn't showed improvement in the passing game. There's obviously a reason teams aren't making offers. Two first round picks are nothing if you believe he's as talented as he thinks he is. 

He needs an agent or a handler who can steer him straight. He's losing a lot of money right now and is one injury away from oblivion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Is he worth it? Where's the interest? There's been no offers made, that's concerning if you're Lamar. 

I don't know if it's the guaranteed money, injury concerns or other but something isn't lining up to other QB contracts. 

up until this point, it made very little sense for teams to negotiate with him.  Having the tag around his neck, another team could spend hundreds of hours negotiating with Lamar and his mother (that alone is sufficient reason to walk away IMO) only to have the Ravens match the offer. No team would offer anything better than what the Ravens already did and everyone knows it.  Why would another team do the ravens bidding?  

Now that the Ravens have consented to considering trade offers, that might change the picture. 

22 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's been on the table all along, that's why they gave him that particular tag. He's been allowed to talk to teams. 

But he has no history with the general managers, does he have their contact info,  is he still sitting by the phone waiting to be called? Or is he negotiating through the media. 

Imo he needs an agent,  going without shows the level of greed imo.  An agent knows the players involved , has a working relationship with all the teams and would have had him offers by now.  He killed his own market by having to learn what to do, while others were being signed .  He lost the ability to negotiate with all the teams (who needed a qb) and has a significantly smaller market at this point. 

9 minutes ago, millworkguy said:

But he has no history with the general managers, does he have their contact info,  is he still sitting by the phone waiting to be called? Or is he negotiating through the media. 

You're exactly right. I would imagine that he's just sitting by the phone. I don't know what else he could possibly be doing. He needs help, bad. 

40 minutes ago, League_Champion said:

That's been on the table all along, that's why they gave him that particular tag. He's been allowed to talk to teams. 

No, he could talk to teams about getting a contract, which the Ravens could match.  Trades were not yet on the table. at least not for Lamar to initiate.

6 hours ago, purplemonster said:

He's not even paying 1%? I would think many agents would do it for that, or less. You think you can do 99% as well as an agent that does this for a living? 

Reports are that his Mom is his agent but I'm not sure that she has any experience negotiating huge contracts, especially NFL contracts. 

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Reports are that his Mom is his agent but I'm not sure that she has any experience negotiating huge contracts, especially NFL contracts. 

1 hour ago, Shaft said:

It's not unheard of for athletes to not use agents, but use a team of lawyers and accountants. I doubt Lamar is directly negotiating his own terms, at least I hope not. 

I don't think his mom is really his agent as it relates to negotiating deals with NFL teams. I tried doing some digging and come up with info that says that he hired his mom as his manager. She handles his affairs, similar to an agent. Then there was a story last week about some person contacting teams about acquiring Lamar, but they were not a registered agent with the NFLPA, and teams were told not wo negotiate with that person. 

The player can negotiate on their own behalf, but anybody else they use must be an approved agent by NFLPA. I'm pretty sure his mom is not one, or it would have been pointed out that he already has an NFLPA approved agent. He may have the aid of a team of lawyers, but if they are not NFLPA approved agents he is the one that has to do the negotiating not them. 

• Thanks 1

Mike Florio doesn't think either side really has a plan that works for him returning to the Ravens. Basically until Jackson gets an offer he thinks is reasonable and signs there is no end. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/03/30/whats-the-end-game-for-lamar-jackson-and-the-ravens-no-one-seems-to-know/ 

I think Lamar's mom posted some of the comments like one saying the Ravens have treated him poorly. 

I get the fact he wants Watson type money, but I'm thinking that the other owners were not happy with the type of deal Cleveland gave Watson and individually have no interest in giving any other qb (or any player) a fully guaranteed contract.   So while it maybe Lamar's goal,  if nobody is willing to Pay it, he has 2 choices.

2 hours ago, millworkguy said:

I get the fact he wants Watson type money, but I'm thinking that the other owners were not happy with the type of deal Cleveland gave Watson and individually have no interest in giving any other qb (or any player) a fully guaranteed contract.   So while it maybe Lamar's goal,  if nobody is willing to Pay it, he has 2 choices.

The Browns definitely overpaid, particularly the fully guaranteed part. But Watson was also more of a proven commodity as a real QB who can put up passing TDs and lead a team. Both have just one playoff win

comparison on PFR

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_finder.cgi?player_id2=JackLa00&player_id1=WatsDe00&sum=0&request=1&utm_campaign=2023_01_wdgt_player_comparison&utm_source=pfr&utm_medium=sr_xsite&utm_id=WatsDe00

35 minutes ago, Big John said:

I love the onion. 

But seriously,  the top 10 teams in the nfl with cap space - per cap geek

Chi 28.8 million

Car 20.6

Rams 13.5

Gb 12.6

Ariz 11.5

Det 8.7

Hou 8.1

Cin 7.5

Lac 7

Indy 4.6

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

So who is signing him to a 50 mill a year deal?

Edited by millworkguy
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...