[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Josh Dobbs benched. Then traded to the Vikings

DMD

Agree that Dobbs did not cost much and is probably better option than the rookie.   He does have weapons, especially when JJ comes back.  Defense is playing well so maybe a Case Keenum type scenario?? 😏  Vikings need to figure out the running game though.  Not sure why KOC keeps giving Mattison the ball as Ackers just seems to be more explosive...  Plus Mattison seems to be a horrible pass blocker

• Like 1

He also started a playoff game for TEN on very short notice last year, if I'm not mistaken.  I have no idea what he'll bring to MIN, but they had to do something, and they could have done much worse.  Oh, and he's very smart.  I'll take it.  

Edit:  After reading Steve's post, I remembered that it wasn't a playoff game, but rather a must-win game to get INTO the playoffs.  Either way, the kid seems to pick things up quickly, between his stints in TEN and ARI (not to mention the other places he's been).  

Edited by Gopher

6 hours ago, Gopher said:

He also started a playoff game for TEN on very short notice last year, if I'm not mistaken.  I have no idea what he'll bring to MIN, but they had to do something, and they could have done much worse.  Oh, and he's very smart.  I'll take it.  

Well it's sure the f**k better than Zach F----g Wilson!

A Tale of Two three Cities:
NY Jets: Franchise QB tears achilles.  Joe Douglas and Robert Saliva" Let's sit on our asses and allow Zach Wilson to start notwithstanding we've seen over and over again how dreadfully bad he is for two straight years plus this entire summer...  with minimal improvement... actually none. Not to mention the stupidity in not obtaining a feasible back up for your spanking new 40 year old franchise QB during the off season when guys like Minshew were avaialble. 

Minnesota (Twin Cities) Vikings: 4-4 team. Franchise QB tears achilles.  Team takes IMMEDIATE action and at least attempts to salvage the season if current backups can't do it.  Whether Dobbs succeeds or not is not the issue.  They took immediate action.  Jets sat around on their fat asses and ignored the painfully obvious fact that every single NFL fan already knew.  THere is something not quite right going on there.  Woody Johson affiliated with JetBlue (Wilson family) maybe.  Because it all makes no sense.  

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good signing by the Vikings. I wondered when Dobbs got benched right before the trade deadline if they were planning to move him. Probably already had some offers, then a bidding war may have started when the Vikings jumped in. 

He was Jacoby Brissett's backup last year for the Browns, and seemed to be OK but was never pressed into action. Cut when Watson returned from suspension, also did a stint with the Lions before being acquired by the Titans. He played in a game about a week after being signed, with Tannehill injured and rookie QB Willis not playing well. His second and final start for the Titans came in their final game, they needed a win to clinch the hapless AFC South division, but they lost and missed the playoffs at 7-10 (Titans lost 7 in a row to end their once promising season that started 7-3)

On 11/1/2023 at 12:28 AM, Dcat said:

Well it's sure the f**k better than Zach F----g Wilson!

A Tale of Two three Cities:
NY Jets: Franchise QB tears achilles.  Joe Douglas and Robert Saliva" Let's sit on our asses and allow Zach Wilson to start notwithstanding we've seen over and over again how dreadfully bad he is for two straight years plus this entire summer...  with minimal improvement... actually none. Not to mention the stupidity in not obtaining a feasible back up for your spanking new 40 year old franchise QB during the off season when guys like Minshew were avaialble. 

Minnesota (Twin Cities) Vikings: 4-4 team. Franchise QB tears achilles.  Team takes IMMEDIATE action and at least attempts to salvage the season if current backups can't do it.  Whether Dobbs succeeds or not is not the issue.  They took immediate action.  Jets sat around on their fat asses and ignored the painfully obvious fact that every single NFL fan already knew.  THere is something not quite right going on there.  Woody Johson affiliated with JetBlue (Wilson family) maybe.  Because it all makes no sense.  

I pretty much agree with that entire diatribe. The way the Jets Jets Jets handled it is confusing. There was little about Wilson that made you think he could get it done. Idk bc I am not paying attention but it feels like whoever drafted Wilson is trying very hard to prove they didn't make a colossal mistake. 

• Like 2

Incredible stories from the Vikings' locker room today. Josh Dobbs didn't take a single rep with the offense in practice. No snaps from Garrett Bradbury. Had never thrown passes to anyone, and didn't know most of their full names. "That's for next week," he said.

5 minutes ago, SeductiveNun said:

This was a great story on Sunday, no doubt about it. 

This might have got lost in the shuffle, but with Hall injured, our emergency QB yesterday was Cam Akers.  Dobbs was basically playing without a net on top of everything else. 

I was watching with my son and girlfriend, both of which are still trying to figure out all of the rules, etc.  I was explaining that, once they lost Cousins, they were left with just a 5th round rookie, so they went out and traded for another QB.  So, when Hall got knocked out (literally), they asked who the backup was after Dobbs.  I said "That guy who just carried the ball (Akers)."  A few minutes later, the announcer said "Akers is now out of the game with an ankle injury."  They both look at me with a look of :unsure: and my son asked "Who's the backup now?"  I told him I had no idea.  :lol:

Just now, Gopher said:

I was watching with my son and girlfriend, both of which are still trying to figure out all of the rules, etc.  I was explaining that, once they lost Cousins, they were left with just a 5th round rookie, so they went out and traded for another QB.  So, when Hall got knocked out (literally), they asked who the backup was after Dobbs.  I said "That guy who just carried the ball (Akers)."  A few minutes later, the announcer said "Akers is now out of the game with an ankle injury."  They both look at me with a look of :unsure: and my son asked "Who's the backup now?"  I told him I had no idea.  :lol:

Some other RB/WR who is familiar with taking the snap from under center and/or shotgun due to running some wildcat type plays. I suppose the punter or kick holder (often the same) may also be an option since they have some familiarity with trick plays and such. 

You got to think that with the emergency QB (or anybody else down the pecking order) on the field they're mostly going to hand off or run themselves. 

2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Incredible stories from the Vikings' locker room today. Josh Dobbs didn't take a single rep with the offense in practice. No snaps from Garrett Bradbury. Had never thrown passes to anyone, and didn't know most of their full names. "That's for next week," he said.

Sometimes this is the best situation.  No lofty expectations and nowhere to go but up.  Takes out the emotional stress and leaves only the win or die trying attitude.  No complexity, no overthinking, just go out and do.  The problem is, he set a good bar.  I hope he breaks it every week, it was fun to watch.

16 hours ago, Gopher said:

Kevin O'Connell? Player/coach?