[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LOL, Who broke my thread?

FinishTheDrill

The problem with political posts are that they intentionally divide people by focusing on the negatives of the other party. Even this is just a negative post. Almost every person in a political thread already has their mind made up, will only focus on the negative, and, at some point, it just degrades to personal attacks. It is a shame since 'd rather focus on what commonalities that we share and how we as a group can advance our collective selves. But - that ain't happening on an anonymous message board ever. No one is changing their mind. No one is even remotely being positive or considering the country as whole. It's just dodge ball with no winners.

If both candidates make it to the general election, the only certainty is that no one expects either to be able to make rational decisions with a 80+ year old mind, decisions that are at the highest of complexity. Let alone ones that do anything but cater directly to the most fervent members of their respective bases, thereby overreading any sense of "mandate" and just setting up for an even more contentious and negative election the next time.

There has to be better places to throw mud than here.

• DMD locked and unlocked this topic
25 minutes ago, DMD said:

The problem with political posts are that they intentionally divide people by focusing on the negatives of the other party. Even this is just a negative post. Almost every person in a political thread already has their mind made up, will only focus on the negative, and, at some point, it just degrades to personal attacks. It is a shame since 'd rather focus on what commonalities that we share and how we as a group can advance our collective selves. But - that ain't happening on an anonymous message board ever. No one is changing their mind. No one is even remotely being positive or considering the country as whole. It's just dodge ball with no winners.

If both candidates make it to the general election, the only certainty is that no one expects either to be able to make rational decisions with a 80+ year old mind, decisions that are at the highest of complexity. Let alone ones that do anything but cater directly to the most fervent members of their respective bases, thereby overreading any sense of "mandate" and just setting up for an even more contentious and negative election the next time.

Agree completely. Political rochambeau. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DMD said:

I dont get it. 

My post was very clearly about "which is the right path forward, and what do you think will be the series of events".   I am not asking anyone about how they feel about a candidate.  Heaven forbid.  I certainly didnt ask about one's political preference.  I didnt extol the virtues of an opposition candidate.  I didnt mention an opposition condidate in the general.  

I didnt remotely lob any personal attacks.  

If someone posts personal attacks, why not deal with the person who cant play nice.

If someone is off topic, why not address that?  

If someone doesnt like the thread, can they not ignore it?  

27 minutes ago, DMD said:

Are there better places to ask about legal advice?

Are there better places to look up music?  

Its an off topic board, no?  Or am I missing the intention of the tailgate?  

Is it about things that are literally at a tailgate?  So, beer, vaping, and BBQ?  

2 hours ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Is it about things that are literally at a tailgate?  So, beer, vaping, and BBQ?  

Point completely understood. However, ultimately it's DMD's board and if he feels that allowing any political stuff opens up the gateways of conversational hell, then he can put an end to it.  I'm part of another board and they got rid of the entire political forum and don't put up with ANY political BS whatsoever.  Members are suspended for any political crap. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FinishTheDrill said:

I dont get it. 

My post was very clearly about "which is the right path forward, and what do you think will be the series of events".   I am not asking anyone about how they feel about a candidate.  Heaven forbid.  I certainly didnt ask about one's political preference.  

I made the point in the gunned thread that Biden's age is a valid concern.  And it's unfortunate that the leading nominee for the GOP also has age issues (amongst numerous other issues).  Recently Trump has:

- Confused the leaders of Hungary and Turkey and got the neighboring country wrong

- Stated that he beat Barack Obama in 2016

-Claimed we are on the verge of WW2

- Rambled on for a minutes where he confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi

These should be as concerning as the things Biden says. So to start 2 threads with the focus on one guy who may be the next POTUS while completely ignoring the other guys age issues feels patently disingenuous.  Especially now with the claim you're only worried about what's best for the country and insinuating you aren't coming at this with a political slant.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FinishTheDrill said:

I dont get it. 

My post was very clearly about "which is the right path forward, and what do you think will be the series of events".   I am not asking anyone about how they feel about a candidate.  Heaven forbid.  I certainly didnt ask about one's political preference.  I didnt extol the virtues of an opposition candidate.  I didnt mention an opposition condidate in the general.  

I didnt remotely lob any personal attacks.  

If someone posts personal attacks, why not deal with the person who cant play nice.

If someone is off topic, why not address that?  

If someone doesnt like the thread, can they not ignore it?  

I wasn't speaking directly to you or this thread  - you wondered what happened to the old thread. As far as constantly weeding the garden by following every conversation as it unfolds and contacting individuals as it happens is an incredibly tedious and unfun job for something that pretty much would never stop - we haven't hit the fun times yet politically. 

4 hours ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Legal advice, music, beer, vaping and BBQ have never been a problem. No one has come here just to talk badly about some beer or BBQ for sure.

On 2/18/2024 at 11:14 PM, DMD said:

Legal advice, music, beer, vaping and BBQ have never been a problem. No one has come here just to talk badly about some beer or BBQ for sure.

THIS!  Also if somebody trashes your favorite beer or song people are not likely to get as bent about it. 

Like Bobby Brown also pointed out, it is pretty clear the person starting these threads is only concerned about one old candidate on one side. Maybe that is because he is the current president and still needs to finish his term. Or not, seems odd. 

PS  I wasn't on the forum much if any over the weekend and haven't made a post since Thursday of last week. I guess I missed the fun that ended the last thread. 

6 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

We are a sad country if those two old farts are our choices. 

Thing is the incumbent is almost given a free pass to the nomination. 

Reagan was 73 when he ran for his second term and many were already questioning his mental capacity. That was 40 years ago. Now Biden is 8 years older. Is he really that much worse off than Reagan was? Or is 80 the new 70? I was just starting to vote at that time, as a young college kid I didn't want some old man in charge. (Also disagreed with his policies.) 

It seems that some want Biden to step aside, but are OK with Trump. I wonder how they felt about Reagan then, or consider it now. I cannot remember another person who served one term, then lost and is still the top choice of their party. Research shows it has happened several times, the most recent being Hoover over 80 years ago. 

On 2/18/2024 at 9:40 PM, Bobby Brown said:

I made the point in the gunned thread that Biden's age is a valid concern.  And it's unfortunate that the leading nominee for the GOP also has age issues (amongst numerous other issues).  Recently Trump has:

- Confused the leaders of Hungary and Turkey and got the neighboring country wrong

- Stated that he beat Barack Obama in 2016

-Claimed we are on the verge of WW2

- Rambled on for a minutes where he confused Nikki Haley with Nancy Pelosi

These should be as concerning as the things Biden says. So to start 2 threads with the focus on one guy who may be the next POTUS while completely ignoring the other guys age issues feels patently disingenuous.  Especially now with the claim you're only worried about what's best for the country and insinuating you aren't coming at this with a political slant.  

You couyld certainly start a thread about the other guy.  Mine was abouyt the current Potus.  He is, afterall, currently the president of the united states. 

My thread wasnt about "the other guy", as my thread wasnt political in nature.  It was about the proper (and predicted) next move in succession.

If you would like to start a trump thread, as I clearly didnt, please feel free to.  Dont do it here though.  

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

Like Bobby Brown also pointed out, it is pretty clear the person starting these threads is only concerned about one old candidate on one side. Maybe that is because he is the current president and still needs to finish his term.

Very good steve.  You get a cookie.

Resist the urge to "yeah whatabout" and the discussion can move forward just fine.  A safe space for those who need equal "other guy" time might be, say, avoid the discussion?  Or start another.  Elsewhere.  

52 minutes ago, Chief Dick said:

We are a sad country if those two old farts are our choices. 

Well, as I submitted earlier, I think Kamala is the logical next choice.  She's young, vibrant, she was on the winning ticket, holds the #2 slot, and #1 is clearly not well.  

11 minutes ago, FinishTheDrill said:

Neither are currently holding office, and neither are likely to again.  

Ok so if Trump is elected you will immediately start a thread about how that old man is not fit for office. But until then it doesn't matter, only Biden. 

Where you alive when Reagan was president? Trust me lots of people thought he was unfit. 

7 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Contrary to popular belief, I always thought there was at least 1 decent quality candidate in recent elections.

The problem is getting them nominated to represent one of the two parties

Edited by rajncajn