[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hip drop tackle is outlawed in the NFL

DMD

15 yard penalty and automatic first down. Will that still stop it? I can't count how many injuries that it causes and not like out for a week injuries. I'm glad they are doing something about it. I'm fine with how physical the game is, and that's a way to stop a runner, but it's just evolved into a common way to tackle that knocks the opponent out for a few weeks or even months.

Some explanation of the hip drop tackle.  They are also outlawing it in Rugby...but you are still going to get injuries...especially to the ankles not matter what you do to try to save players from injury.  Clearly some bad injuries from this type of tackling...but what do you expect when they make rules banning from hitting the head and neck areas.  Players are trying to adapt according to the NFL rules...but wow...what is next?!!

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=83a32caac141be1d&rlz=1C1RXQR_enUS1016US1016&q=what+is+the+hip+drop+tackle&tbm=vid&source=lnms&prmd=ivnsbmtz&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=2ahUKEwioqI7x4o-FAxUxJzQIHRitAhMQ0pQJegQICxAB&biw=1422&bih=612&dpr=3#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3ef0db7c,vid:5KJ9mCbS3rU,st:0

Edited by devilwoman

Getting tired of the constantly changing rules in sports, cannot imagine how the players feel. What is legal now? What is a catch or not? Can we still touch the QB, or only with a feather duster? 

Maybe they can add a few more things to review and make games take 4 hours. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Getting tired of the constantly changing rules in sports, cannot imagine how the players feel. What is legal now? What is a catch or not? Can we still touch the QB, or only with a feather duster? 

Shocking.  

The game evolves, so do the rules.  

Don't forget to shake your fist at the clouds on your way out, Steve-o!

2 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I know how you feel...it seems the D is always at a disadvantage...but like everything else, you can learn to tackle better.  Hip drops are a little like a horse collar tackle in that it pulls the ball carrier backwards with the defensive tackler's weight on the legs or ankles of the ball carrier in a twisting backward motion.  The injuries due to these types of tackles are season ending and for some college players career ending.  So while I throw up my hands too, in watching these injuries which are gruesome in some instances, I have to think there are better ways to tackle.  Here is a video of some tackling techniques used by the Seahawks.  Are you going to remove all hip drop tackles, nope, but if we can start to eliminate them the best we can, I am sure Mark Andrews of the Ravens and Jordan Travis of FSU would be appreciative.  It's easy for Defensive players to be upset about the rule...they aren't the ones being tackled.  The owners wanted this rule to protect their offensive players....I have to say, after seeing all the videos online showing hip drop tackles...I cringe every time I see it.

Tackling techniques:

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/film-study/2018/06/93794/film-study-how-the-buckeyes-tackling-circuit-attempts-to-remove-the-head-from-the-game

I agree that the rule changes are a PITA but let's be honest, athletes have become so elite that the amount of power and inertia is well beyond what it was years ago.  A WR or RB shouldn't have to worry about a career ending injury on every play.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 1fastdoc said:

I agree that the rule changes are a PITA but let's be honest, athletes have become so elite that the amount of power and inertia is well beyond what it was years ago.  A WR or RB shouldn't have to worry about a career ending injury on every play.  

This change certainly doesn't eliminate that risk, but should lessens it some (not sure how much). And these tackles will still happen, just now there's a penalty to go with it, whether there was a bad injury or not. 

On 3/27/2024 at 7:41 AM, stevegrab said:

This change certainly doesn't eliminate that risk, but should lessens it some (not sure how much). And these tackles will still happen, just now there's a penalty to go with it, whether there was a bad injury or not. 

True.  And people like to watch brutal sports.  But at least it will hopefully keep players on the field.  And it will hinder the defense, potentially leading to higher scoring games, which I think we all like.

Now, conversely, I think soccer needs to go in the opposite direction.  It'd be a lot more entertaining if the guys going down crying had something to actually cry about.  

• Haha 1