[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's wrong with the NFL? Well, let me tell you...

DMD

You brought up some good points and it makes sense to me. You are correct in stating there’s no reason to watch preseason games anymore. Hopefully the offenses will adapt and the passing will increase.  

Edited by No Quarter

Good read DMD. There are two important variables I'm curious about. One, what has been the impact of starting rookie QBs? It seems every year there are a number of rookie QBs drafted that teams throw in the starting lineup who aren't ready. Teams used to wait a season or two before they started a QB.

Also, what is the impact of rushing or dual-threat QBs on these stats (e.g., Lamar Jackson, Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts, Justin Fields, Russell Wilson, Anthony Richardson, Daniel Jones, Jayden Daniels, etc). Teams have embraced these mobile QBs, who are often rookie QBs, and depend on their legs before developing their passing games. They impact passing and rushing RBs stats. 

Edited by Shaft
  • Like 1

Good article thanks for opening it up to everybody to read. Some very good points were made, I think it may be just a small bump in the road. If needed the NFL will tweak the rules more, because everybody loves offense and it feeds the fantasy monster. 

7 hours ago, DMD said:

Took a while to write this.

What's wrong with the NFL?

From my standpoint of dealing with stats extensively for a long time, this all feels like a fundamental problem that won't maybe change that much.

Agree? Disagree?

Proofread that sh!t bro. Second sentence.

You have a pretty solid argument here.

Edited by gilthorp

2 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Proofread that sh!t bro. Second sentence.

You have a pretty solid argument here.

I like to think I know stats. I’ve analyzed and reviewed every player in every NFL game for the last 27 years. I’ve projected and ranked every fantasy-relevant player, every football week, since 1997. So I stay close to stats. During the season, I literally dream about stats and players and games.

🤔  :shrug:

It had "sears" instead of "years" despite proofing it several times and running it through a content editor. I fixed it.

One of the hardest things to do is proof read yourself. Your mind sees what you meant, not what you wrote. And as long as spell check changed the word to the correct spelling of what it thinks you meant, it goes through. It happens to all of us. 

2 hours ago, DMD said:

It had "sears" instead of "years" despite proofing it several times and running it through a content editor. I fixed it.

On 9/20/2024 at 2:42 PM, No Quarter said:

One of the hardest things to do is proof read yourself. Your mind sees what you meant, not what you wrote. And as long as spell check changed the word to the correct spelling of what it thinks you meant, it goes through. It happens to all of us. 

That is true, the same issue can apply to many other things. Writing software for over 35 years now, and sometimes you just cannot see your own mistake, but everybody else can.

It is why I say that in media reporting having anybody, even a high school freshman, proofing your work can identify mistakes that will be obvious to many readers. 

I read over the weekend that Mel Kiper wants the NFL to outlaw the 2 deep zone (despite it being around for over 2 decades!)   I thought the same thing as Shaft about the preference of running QB's and how that has changed the passing game.   

The interesting thing to me is that with the rise of the premier WR ( Lamb, Jefferson, Chase, Hill, Adams, St Brown, Brown etc) and the contracts they are demanding/getting we see this deterioration of passing yards/tds.  RB's have been devalued tremendously over the same period of time and are now making a resurgence.  From a NFL perspective, have defenses adapted to the pass happy NFL and forced offenses to be able to run to be successful?

From a FF perspective, we have seen a few years of hero/zero RB's trending as owners try and get the premium WR's due to  fewer and fewer bell cow RB's. Non running QB's are sliding down the draft board too.  I noticed this year in my drafts rookie WR like Harrison JR and Nabers going VERY high and a slew of mid tier WR's going later in the draft.  ( granted this year it seemed like the WR position was much deeper).  

I have no stats but everybody is hog wild over finding a cheap rookie QB, and playing them early to see what you got. I'm sure they want to run the wheels off of rookie rbs and wr too. Rookie contracts are where it's at. Also as above more running qbs may make it hard to sustain production in other areas as Shaft mentioned. But I agree preseason has really made things look a bit rough the first two weeks. 

On 9/23/2024 at 11:19 AM, gilthorp said:

Inconsistencies in throwing flags or not throwing them in crucial situations...especially when the Chiefs play, is also an issue.

I believe the refereeing this year has been very fair and impartial.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

last night just had way too many flags.  Impartial or not, that sucked.

Yet we all still watch. With penalties being declined, there has to be 20+ stoppages a game at this point. The product has been Temu'd.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shaft said:

Thanks, solid article though I am not sure I buy into all the premises. The NFL does evolve every year, but it is incremental. This year, it was not only more than incremental, it was negative for the offenses other than RB rushing yards. The change between last season and this season has felt stark to me and I sift through every stat every week. 

I'm sure that it has multiple causes, but they all came together very rapidly and had a far more noticeable impact than I have ever seen.