[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Whose Gonna Stop the Raiders

The Stoner

Kerry Collins <> Peyton Manning

The man can single handedly kill an entire offense.

719859[/snapback]

At times last year I agree with that statement. He is almost Drew Bledsoe like when he gets pressured and takes unneccessary sacks or throws stupid INT's.

I see teams either blitzing the he!! out of the Raiders because they would rather pressure Collins than sit back and let him throw bomb's to Moss and Porter; or they play back in a zone and make Lamont Jordan beat them and/or force Collins to throw to his 3rd or 4th options.

How did that o-lineman (Gallery?) play in his rookie season?

719870[/snapback]

I think he did well since he was playing out of his normal position. Barry Sims played well enough to force Gallery to play right tackle IIRC. But that is one thing that I am excited about is the O-line. Gallery and Jake Grove will have another year experience and the entire line itself will have a year of playing together. I think that group has to have to most continuity to be an effective unit. They should be more dominating running and pass protection.

We'll see about the defense. I'm hoping Sapp gets cut. I would still like to keep Charles Woodson but only if we can sign him to a long deal to make him more cap friendly. If not trade his @$$ for some draft picks or some defensive help...........

I would like to add that even the parts don't add up to much the Raiders do have some nice young defensive players coming up.

Tyler Brayton pretty quick defensive end who doesn't quit on plays

Stuart Scweigert safety out of Purdue who is the best safety I've seen for the Raiders in a while.

They have some good corners in Buchannon and Woodson who can stick with their man for a few seconds if the front 7 can pressure the QB. It's when the QB scrambles that those two have major problems.

The problem is going to be at LB and the Tackle positions. I don't know what Ted Washington has left, they cut John Parella and Sapp is a sack of s#it.

Trading Napoleon Harris just weakened an already shallow LB unit.........

Having watched Kerry Collins last season, I think he is the weak link in the Raiders offense. He just makes too many bad decisions, throwing right into coverage way too many times.

So while I would love to see a Raiders playoff season, I don't think this is going to be it. Too many questions on the defense, at QB, and regarding team chemistry.

8-8 or 9-7 is a possibility, but I expect that Kerry Collins will literally throw away 2 to 4 wins by himself.

Is Lamont signed yet? Is it official? If so, that offense will be sick. Collins really only has to throw it near to, or around Moss or Porter for them to catch it. If Lamont runs the way Turner wants him to, I don't think they can be stopped! Blitze Collins and leave either Moss or Porter in man to man, yikes. Raiders are my team this year. In a distant second to Da Birds! :D

I forgot where i read it, but I saw a report that Porter was just awful the first half of last year.... while all that time I was blaming Collins. This report said he just could not get open.... oh yea, it was on a late nite sports radio show, and the reporter was from Oakland. This particular guy, this reporter, didnt have much inside scoop though, so I'm not sure if he was off base on that or not...

But, back to Collins, if he gets time, he will stop making the stupid mistakes. He is a confidence guy, when he has it, he can be really good, when he loses it, and that happens too often, he is terrible. I just don't know if he can handle Moss screaming for the ball all the time!

Kerry Collins

The man can single handedly kill an entire offense.

719859[/snapback]

He is a turnover machine.

He is a confidence guy, when he has it, he can be really good, when he loses it, and that happens too often, he is terrible.

720150[/snapback]

Yep. He is the little girl with the curl. He has the arm, and can make all the throws. When he is going well, he's impressive. But he can be hurried into making bad decisions, and he puts the ball on the ground WAY too much. He should put up nice fantasy numbers just because of the weapons, but I don't see how his WRs will correct his fumbling problem, and I predict that will be a problem for the Raiders.

They're a potentially impressive group, but I think even the Colts will field a better defense this year. I don't imagine this crop, led by Collins as being capable of putting up 45 ppg, do you? :D

719918[/snapback]

Well, it depends. Two games against the Cheifs, scoring 734 points total, may help.

Here's what Harris is saying on the flip side...

As someone who has been to a Super Bowl in his career, linebacker Napoleon Harris said he can't figure out why everyone assumes Randy Moss is closer to the championship game with the Oakland Raiders than Harris is with the Vikings.

"My opinion is now I have a chance to win a Super Bowl with Minnesota," Harris said by phone after the trade between the two teams was announced on Wednesday. "Last time I checked, Minnesota made the playoffs and won a game, and [the Raiders] were 5-11 and didn't even make the playoffs."

their defense was terrible last year, and harris is gone and probably woodson. hard to see them stopping anyone. that puts a lot of pressure on kerry collins and, frankly, he's never been the kind of qb who can lead a team to 40 points a game and i don't care who he's throwing to i don't really see that changing overnight. jordan is better than whatever heap of crap they had in their backfield last year, but he's still not all that special.

bottom line, IMO, is that they'll be fun to watch but not that tough to beat.

Edited by Azazello1313

They're a potentially impressive group, but I think even the Colts will field a better defense this year. I don't imagine this crop, led by Collins as being capable of putting up 45 ppg, do you? :D

719918[/snapback]

They won't until they get a rule changed or two.

Raiders will go with Collins, but look for them to draft a QB......IMO this Raider offense will put points up...the tearing point will be when (notice I said when-not if) Collins doesn't get the ball to Moss enough or when Randy thinks he's open (which is all the time in his mind)....Collins-Moss at odds is a future headline for the Raiders--chemistry is a definite factor and Collins was not a team player and Moss is definitely not...so wait for the tears in the earth's surface to begin in Raider camp this summer...has Collins matured? Can he take a potent "O" and make minimal mistakes and allow the skill players win for the team?

Then you address the "D"!! Think they have to get an upfield rush/blitz to make their "D" work....pressure should be the key when they draft in April..look for a DB-LB and DE as picks for the Raiders...with lots of speed.. :D

At the very least, they'll draw more television coverage with all the expectations.

I realize Jordan outran (as a part-time RB) the entire rushing offense the Raiders had last year, but having not seen him play much, is he really good enough to be a full-time RB?

Could Collins's interceptions increase with that much pressure to throw deep balls?

Didn't Porter complain last year that he wasn't being treated like the #1 option in the passing offense? Is that going to be a problem this year?

We haven't even gotten to the defense questions yet.

I still think they're a mediocre team at best.

Things will be interesting next year for sure. Being a Bronco fan, all of these moves have me a little worried for next year. The Raiders addressed the draft correctly last year in focusing on the O-line, and in free agency focusing on the D-line. Granted, the D-line isn't what they had hoped, so the defense will be in trouble. However, the o-line has potential to be good. Gallery played well and if they can keep this group together, that offense could be scarry. I know Collins is up and down, but once he figured out the offense last year, he did well.

IMO, Porter is not a #1 receiver which may be why Collins struggled early when he took over the starting role. Once he starting getting Curry involved, he played much better. Think about an already decent and fast WR core that then adds Moss. A four WR base set with Jordan in the backfield is scarry.

The one knock will be chemistry. If Moss stays on Collins, I expect Collins to fold. But Tuikissmyasassoppo (whatever) could also do well.

I'll say it now....the Raiders could win 10 games next year and make the playoffs. Wow, that hurt.

Edited by NAUgrad

Oakland gets the 4th place schedule, Denver and Kansas City have some serious questions on both sides of the ball. San Diego gets a 1st place schedule.....

I don't think it's out of the realm at all that the Raiders win the division next year.