[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Real Football, not fantasy,pick one player .....

Gators

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i SAID REAL FOOTBALL, NOT FANTASY...MANNING WOULD BE EVERYONES FANTASY PICK. HE CAN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO BRADY IN THE INTANGIBLES IT TAKES TO WIN GAMES, ESPECIALLY THE BIG ONES!

751313[/snapback]

Ohhhhh, you meant REAL football... well in that case I'd build my team around Ugly :D Tuna. There is no comparable football expert in the universe than he!

:D

i SAID REAL FOOTBALL, NOT FANTASY...MANNING WOULD BE EVERYONES FANTASY PICK. HE CAN'T EVEN COME CLOSE TO BRADY IN THE INTANGIBLES IT TAKES TO WIN GAMES, ESPECIALLY THE BIG ONES!

751313[/snapback]

Manning

Have to start with a QB

Edited by NSab

Ohhhhh, you meant REAL football... well in that case I'd build my team around Ugly :D Tuna.  There is no comparable football expert in the universe than he!

751426[/snapback]

:D:D

One more question here, even though I didn't start this topic, and realizing everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it's wrong, why would anyone not pick a QB to start out a franchise?

751495[/snapback]

Just count the rings on ol' Peyton's fingers.

One more question here, even though I didn't start this topic, and realizing everyone is entitled to an opinion, even if it's wrong, why would anyone not pick a QB to start out a franchise?

751495[/snapback]

That's a good question and I think that most football observers say that since the QB has his hands on the ball every play you have to have a competent QB.

I would have agreed perhaps 15 years or even 10 years ago but not anymore. This argument right here between Tom Brady and Peyton Manning; if Manning was so good he would at least get to a Super Bowl. I mean look at Elway he took some average Bronco's teams to 3 Super Bowls on just his ability. He raised the level of his teammates play.

I think that is the biggest issue I have with Manning. Why is he so smart? Because he calls fake audibles and pantomines at the line? Big deal. Because the Colts have a massive playbook that he has to know inside and out? So what Kurt Warner did the same thing with the Rams offense because you know Mike Martz likes to tinker.

I think Manning is a great QB surrounded by Pro Bowl talent, with a front office that will cater to his every desire. He isn't raising an average offense (forget team) to new heights, he's working with great talent. If he was on the Baltimore Ravens you think everyone would be calling him the best in the game? No way period. I call it the Marshall Faulk effect. Faulk was good back with the Colts, not great, not top 5, marginally top 10 and he had a poor attitude. Which is why he got traded to the Rams. He got put into the Rams offense with Torry Holt, Az Hakim, Isaac Bruce and then unknown Kurt Warner. Magically he becomes the best RB in the game and an MVP. What happened those 5 other years he was with the Colts? Was he holding back or something?

Manning hasn't shown he can lead his team to victory when the playoff's come around. You can make all the excuses you want about the sad Colt's defense but if Manning is so good he would play bigger when it counts.

This question is rigged anyway, if we follow the Patriots model (and we all are because all of our teams are trying to copy NE just admit it) they don't put one player above the rest. No one player is not expendable.

I mean if you really want to say who the best player in the NFL is you should say Adam Vinatieri. He has been franchised twice by NE so Bill Belichik is saying he is not expendable...........

I think that is the biggest issue I have with Manning.  Why is he so smart?  Because he calls fake audibles and pantomines at the line?  Big deal.  Because the Colts have a massive playbook that he has to know inside and out?  So what Kurt Warner did the same thing with the Rams offense because you know Mike Martz likes to tinker.

751545[/snapback]

Because he studies harder than any other player. Because the Colts go to the line of scrimmage with three plays called, and Peyton has to read the defense and select the best one, and make sure everyone knows it. The "fake" audible thing is so overplayed. Most of the time, he's doing something.

I call it the Marshall Faulk effect.  Faulk was good back with the Colts, not great, not top 5, marginally top 10 and he had a poor attitude.  Which is why he got traded to the Rams.  He got put into the Rams offense with Torry Holt, Az Hakim, Isaac Bruce and then unknown Kurt Warner.  Magically he becomes the best RB in the game and an MVP.  What happened those 5 other years he was with the Colts?  Was he holding back or something?

751545[/snapback]

Marshall Faulk was a darn good RB when the Colts sucked. Top 5 in the league, easy. You just didn't see him very much, as the Colts were a bottom-feeder. I remember a quote from Bill Parcells saying he and his assistant coaches (when he was the Jets head coach) did the "conga line" when they found out the Colts had traded Marshall out of the division.

Manning hasn't shown he can lead his team to victory when the playoff's come around.  You can make all the excuses you want about the sad Colt's defense but if Manning is so good he would play bigger when it counts.

751545[/snapback]

Ask Denver or KC about Peyton not being able to lead his team to victory in the play-offs. The only thing Peyton hasn't been able to do is beat the Patriots in the play-offs. Can you name someone who has?

Because he studies harder than any other player.  Because the Colts go to the line of scrimmage with three plays called, and Peyton has to read the defense and select the best one, and make sure everyone knows it.  The "fake" audible thing is so overplayed.  Most of the time, he's doing something.

751560[/snapback]

Who says he studies harder than any other player? Can you prove that? When the Rich Gannon lead the Raiders to the Super Bowl and was the league MVP they said no other player studied or practiced harder. So what, doesn't make you the one player to build a team around.

There are many many players in the league that study game tape. What's old is the perception that he is the only one.

Marshall Faulk in the 5 years he was there he was top 10 in rushing twice, top 5 once, his rookie year. Two times out 5 years he was in the top 5 for rushing TD's, the other 3 years he wasn't even in the top 10. Yards from scrimmage rushing/receiving he lead the league in 98, 3 other years he didn't place in the top 10 at all. So really he only had 2 above average seasons his rookie year and his last year with Indy were his best, 95-97 he wasn't even a top 10 RB. Having an opposing coach say he is going to do the conga because he got traded isn't much of an endorsement. You probably believe Parcells really did the conga.

So Manning beat Denver or KC, he also got blasted by the Jets and you know how miserable he has looked against the Patriots. In fact I would say Jake Delhomme played way better than Manning did against the Patriots in last years Super Bowl. It's not that Manning lost to the Patriots but how he lost. Throwing 4 INT's in one game and just not showing up in the last game.

Manning is like Barry Bonds was early in his career. Great during the regular season not so good in the playoff's. Nobody is going to remember Manning beating the Bronco's in the divisional playoff's.............

If I could choose any active player in his prime....Brett Favre, hands down.

751702[/snapback]

Dang it... I hate having to agree with this! If I'm going to be honest though, Favre is the guy I'd pick to build a franchise around too. :D