[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Future of Fantasy Sports

Hitman

The names of the players and their use in commercial exploitation fall under state name and likeness/right of publicity statutes. That is the players association legal position. And they are trying to say that using the rosters of the teams, and the names, and any other informatio they can lay claim to, should be licensed through them. They are trying to set a precedent that they should control this information and intellectual property and once set, it will be difficult to disprove.

I think yer naive. Are you suggesting that any of us will stop watching football and playing fantasy football? Those lawyers arent idiots. They know you better than you know yerself.

756057[/snapback]

If it gets to that level, i'm done with them. I hope many others are too.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll take ladernian tompkins with the first pick, please

756107[/snapback]

:D

Just make sure you leave Shane Alexandera alone.

756191[/snapback]

Sounds like their names have gone through DMD's word changing gizmo. You funny fatherless males.

Agreed.  I'll certainly be less inclined by purchase the NFL Sunday Ticket package if the NFLPA tries to screw fantasy owners.  Hell, I might just stop playing FF completely.

756293[/snapback]

The NFLPA isn't out to screw fantasy owners, they're out to screw fantasy game providers who aren't one of the 12 who are selected to pay $25,000 licensing fees.

If it gets to that level, i'm done with them. I hope many others are too.

756315[/snapback]

While I think it's as silly as going after P2P file sharers, I really doubt it's going to effect anyone's following of the game.

The NFLPA isn't out to screw fantasy owners, they're out to screw fantasy game providers who aren't one of the 12 who are selected to pay $25,000 licensing fees.

756318[/snapback]

Sounds like the providers need to put together a cartel. Get on the horn to other sites and lets just shut this thing down right now.

756318[/snapback]

Which, in turn, screws fantasy owners because the providers will riase their rates to pay the licensing fees. Less alternatives means that we pay more.

I think yer naive. Are you suggesting that any of us will stop watching football and playing fantasy football? Those lawyers arent idiots. They know you better than you know yerself.

756057[/snapback]

Methinks you are the one being Naive, skins. There are lots of people that play FF, and many of them only play for free. Then there are many that will only play for a minimal investment.

Sure, there are rich lawyer types (dig...dig...) that will pay to play because they like it and can, but I would suspect that if the price to participate were to dramatically increase that participation in fantasy sports would suffer a hugh dropoff.

I would think that these folks would take the time to do some study on the impact of this, so perhaps I am way off base, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

Remember...if DMD and WW get hit with some hugh fee, in the end it will be you and I that foot the bill, not them.

Which, in turn, screws fantasy owners because the providers will riase their rates to pay the licensing fees.  Less alternatives means that we pay more.

756351[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. Our economy is better than other industrialized nations because we have less regulations to business owners and lower taxes than our Western European and Asisian counterparts. This encourages more small businesses to get involved and compete with the big boys. The smaller guy must create value in one of two ways: lower costs or a superior product. It's up to us consumers to decide if we want to support the little guy. These type of Royalty fees remind me of some kind of regulatory fee that you'd find in Germany or France. If the NFLPA gets there way we're gonna see an oligopoly by a few fantasy providers that will be pushing their prices higher and higher each season. There would also be less features and new improvements to host sites. It would make things more difficult for DMD and WW because they'd be getting squeezed and would have to have their margins take a hit or raise their prices. I for one go out of my way to support small businesses. More than half the jobs in this economy come from small businesses and 2 out of every 3 new jobs come from small businesses as well. This last two sentences had very little to do with the subject matter but I wanted to include it.

Lawyers hate small businesses, I hate lawyers.

756395[/snapback]

I like some of the characters around here, but we don't do anything in our business without communicating with our legal counsel(Kirkpatrick & Lockhart).

When I first started playing FF, we did our scoring manually. I would pant outside the corner store waiting for them to open, to get a newpaper. if it goes back to that, fine. There would still be a place for places like the Huddle, no? Or do these idiots think shutting down free publicity will make them more money in the long term? They are starting to look like beggars with this nonsense.

Just tell me where to send my letters. This is ridiculous.

I pay my league dues to play FF. I don't pay for a service, because if Yahoo wasn't free, my league would go back to doing it ourselves.

756415[/snapback]

I use them in one of my leagues and I actually think it's a good host site. ESPN flat out sucks on the other hand and a lot of huddlers have been recommendind FFL and MFL. I'll be giving them a shot next season.

There is one reason I am considering getting satelite tv and the sunday ticket...fantasy football. Someone in the nlfpa has to understand that. And if I have to go to pen and paper ff, then I would.

My question is how these licenses would affect a site like this. You just report stats, its not like sportsline where you have an actual template for a ff league... which are they licensing the stats or the template? And why dont you offer a template D?

Quick question: other than the Huddle MVP challenge, how would such a licensing fee effect this website?

756431[/snapback]

I'm a newbie and I'm not familiar with the Huddle MVP Challenge. I would think that it would be safe to assume that the Huddle has at least 5,000 subscribers. That would mean that they would have to pay $25,000 in royalty fees. I don't know what type of revenues this place does or what their overhead is(DMD,WW,Crazy Carl, message board fees, other, etc.), but I'd assume that $25,00o would have an affect on the bottom line. I bet they'd raise the price to $20, which I'd be fine with.

i'll take ladernian tompkins with the first pick, please

756107[/snapback]

This is a piece of cake for DMD and The Huddle crew, don't sweat it.

Just have Carl set up another word filter on player names throught the site-

You, WW, and the other writers just continue on business as usual and when you submit the info. for posting it gets changed automatically.

Randy Moss hauled in 2 TD's, from Kerry Collins on Sunday as the Raiders stomped the Vikings.

Translate= BigHaired feline hauled in 2 TD's from Drunk Assed Slow on Sunday as the silver and black stomped the Viqueens.