[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Denver RB to Browns?

DawgTalk

I thought I'd start a more recent thred about Droughns and where he will most likely end up...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3499620

Broncos, Browns close to a deal

Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Posted: 17 minutes ago

The Cleveland Browns and Denver Broncos are close to a trade that would strongly bolster the Browns backfield before the draft while giving Denver their second first-round DE in two days.

Sources have told FOXSports.com that the Browns and Broncos are in deep talks regarding a trade that would send last year's Broncos breakout back Reuben Droughns to Cleveland for defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban.

Ekuban, the former first-round pick, had surgery recently on his knee and shoulder and is not expected to be healthy until May. He is expected to visit the Broncos this week, but due to the health concerns, the two sides have discussed working out appropriate draft choice compensation for the 2006 draft if Ekuban cannot return to full strength in time for the season. However, if Ekuban's physical pans out well, the two sides may agree to a straight up player-for-player deal without any stipulation.

Droughns amassed a surprising 1,240 yards rushing last year, impressive numbers considering he didn't take over the primary ball carrier role until the second week of October. He also hauled in an impressive 32 passes for 241 yards and scored eight TDs — six on the ground. Droughns had six 100-yard rushing games — including games of 193, 176 and 166 yards — as Denver's coaching staff and offensive line churned out yet another 1,000-yard rusher.

Ekuban, a former first-round pick of the Dallas Cowboys, had his best sack total of his career in 2004 when he tabbed eight QB takedowns. His previous high was 6.5 during his sophomore season. His former defensive line coach in Cleveland, Andre Patterson, is now an assistant on the Broncos' staff.

Droughns joins a Browns backfield that was split between William Green and Lee Suggs last year. However, Droughns was more productive than those two combined last season. The move also allows Cleveland to focus on a position other than running back in the first round of this year's draft.

would it be an open competition between droughns and suggs in camp?  (assuming green goes elsewhere)

756620[/snapback]

apparently...obviously they're not high on either Suggs or Green...I welcome Drougns if this goes through.

Ekuban again, doesn't fit in with the 3-4 scheme they wanna implement...

would it be an open competition between droughns and suggs in camp?  (assuming green goes elsewhere)

756620[/snapback]

When the Browns made that offer for Chester Taylor, it was reported that there would be open competition between Taylor & Suggs for the starting gig.

I would ass-u-me :D the same scenario would apply, if this trade for Droughns happens to go through.

Must be, unless Quenten Griffin makes a big comeback from his knee problems.

757042[/snapback]

Griffin has now broken his leg and tore up his ACL in his brief NFL career. Perhaps the Broncos are realizing what many of us have said all along. HE IS TOO SMALL TO WITHSTAND THE POUNDING.

Edited by CaptainHook

756620[/snapback]

They've got to be headed to RBBC? Will a clear workhorse emerge from this, one who gets open field, redzone, and goalline carries? I'm surprised it was Cleveland who dealt for him and not someone devoid of backs altogether (Miami) ... It sure says something about Cle's thoughts on Green (gone and good riddance) and Suggs (hmmmm).

So is Tatum Bell the man now?

757038[/snapback]

That appears to be the case.

As well as Droughns did last season, just about anybody who can stay healthy and hold onto the ball can rush for 1,000 yds in Denver's offense. Therefore, even if he does beat out Suggs for the featured role, I don't see Droughns being much of a factor in Cleveland this year.

That appears to be the case.

As well as Droughns did last season, just about anybody who can stay healthy and hold onto the ball can rush for 1,000 yds in Denver's offense.  Therefore, even if he does beat out Suggs for the featured role, I don't see Droughns being much of a factor in Cleveland this year.

757114[/snapback]

Agreed. Everyone looks good in Denver running the ball. Let's see how he does in his new home. If the Browns can't solve their QB woes, it won't really matter who they have in the backfield anyway.

Of course, the Browns could bring Barry Sanders back and it wouldn't matter if they don't do something to shore up that Oline of theirs.

757156[/snapback]

441 attempts for a 3.8 ypc avg is concerning but not the worst I've seen. I am now concerned about having enough DL bodies to keep the rotation fresh. Without looking up who the remaining DL were, I could only name Kenard Lang....came up with Orpheus Roye, Alvin McKinley and someone they signed from KC: Fisk...there are others but I didn't recognize their names...

I forgot Tyrone Rogers...as I'm sure the rest of you did too.

Edited by loaf