[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

policy's take on the Lions' draft

policyvote

Well, I'm sure somebody out there besides JJ would be interested in hearing my take on the Lions's draft, so . . .

First of all, I'd grade the entire draft as a B-. The Lions got several physical talents at need positions, upside guys who will be able to contribute as role players. They moved around to get their guys; though I thought giving up a fourth to move up a few slots in the second was giving up too much, they then used the pick on Shaun Cody, who was a legitimate first-round talent at a need spot. This doesn't compare to last year's draft, where the Lions got three impact starters (and possible perennial Pro Bowlers). However, they had much fewer holes to fill, and this wasn't nearly as strong of a draft. Overall, in a weak draft, the Lions did very well.

Of course, there is the first pick of Mike Williams. Williams was the best wide reciever in the draft, and in terms of NFL potential, probably the top overall player available in this draft (with apologies to Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams). He has incredible size, strength, and hands. He was the marquee player on a team STACKED with talent. He won a national championship. He would have been the first receiver taken last year, even with all the other great receivers that went in last year's draft (including Roy Williams). Many losers who don't know anything about football knock his speed, but he isn't any slower than Braylon Edwards or Mark Clayton, especially in terms of actual game speed. What he lacks is sub-4.4-with-his-hair-on-fire straight-line speed, but so did Jerry Rice and Chris Carter and all sorts of recievers who've made the Ashley Lelies and Donte Stallworths of this world look like practice-squad fodder. Mike Williams is most often compared to Keyshawn Johnson as a negative--which is ridiculous. People forget that Johnson was an immediate-impact receiver who put up incredible numbers in New York. Once the Jets fell apart, he went to Tampa, and was the only cog that worked in an offense that was flat-out terrible for years. Now he's past his prime, and in a similar situation . . . if the Lions get the next Keyshawn Johnson--but without the mouth and attitude--this will be the steal of the draft.

There are a lot of people saying that WR wasn't a need. Nonsense. When your team has lead the league in drops over the last three years, you need someone who can catch the ball. It's true that the Lions have drafted WR #1 for three years in a row now, but Charles Rogers has played in less than five games and Roy Williams played hurt almost all of last year. Despite the fact that those two first-rounders were on the roster, Joey Harrington still spent most of the year throwing to Tai Streets, Reggie Swinton, and David Kircus. These are not NFL-caliber wideouts. If there's one thing that the Lions have proven over the last few years, it's that they can't have enough WRs and CB under contract. The injury bug always seems to bite those two positions; no matter who they's signed or drafted, the Lions are always reaching deep into the depth chart at both those spots by midseason. With these three wideouts, you could lose two and still be starting one with Kevin Johnson on the other side.

Everyone in the organization knows that this year is the year--either the last four years have built a winner, or they have not. With this much talent on the roster, success is expected. Now, defense was not the reason the Lions failed last year. They had a respectable defense, and now they get their corners back healthy, Boss Bailey back healthy, and Kennoy Kennedy starting. Young players like Lehman, Holt, and Redding will have another year of seasoning. That's significant improvement on a defense that kept the terrible offense in the game more often than not. There's the aspect of TIME. It takes time for rookie wideouts to develop (with VERY rare exceptions). Even if Rogers can stay healthy, he only has five games under his belt. Even if Roy can stay healthy, he's got less than a year under his belt. It's very possible that one of these two is going to struggle at times, even if healthy. Williams is probably the most polished WR prospect to come out of college in a long time; he immediately upgrades the WR corps as a whole, while also making the "down the road" outlook much brighter. Three years ago, everybody eviscerated the Eagles for taking two corners in the first round when they already had two great corners. Well, three years later the vets are out the door, and the two rookies are both just hitting their stride. Suddenly that draft grade doesn't look so much like a "D" anymore, eh? Similarly, if Chuck fails to do anything and the Lions have to let him go, Williams will be right there to step up. If Chuck sets the league on fire and leaves via free agency, Willliams will be right there to step up. When all is said and done, the Lions taking Mike Williams here will prove to have been a GREAT pick.

The Lions could have gone in several different directions here. However, everything is riding on this year, and this year is riding on whether or not the offense produces. It doesn't matter if the mediocre defense is slightly better if the supposed-to-be-explosive offense is scraping the bottom of the league's barrel again. To that end . . .

To those who expected/wanted Derrick Johnson: Derrick Johnson would NOT have "filled a need"; Johnson would have been just as much of an "unnecessary luxury" as Williams. Derrick Johnson is an outside linebacker who is fast, tough, and smart. He is a little on the small side, and doesn't shed blocks very well. Sometimes he relies too much on his ability, and thus runs around blockers or takes bad angles. Hmm, that pretty much perfectly describes Boss Bailey, Tedy Lehman, James Davis, and Alex Lewis . . . that is to say every LB on the Lions' roster except Holmes and Curry. Yes, it would be sweet to draft Johnson and move Lehman to the middle--but an LB corps of Bailey, Lehman, and Johnson would be just as much of a "luxury" as a WR corps of Rogers, Williams and Williams. You may say that the Lions don't run three-wide all the time, but they'll run three wide about as often as they run their base (non-nickel) defense. If you only have three wides 2 downs out of four, you also only have three linebackers 2 downs out of four. Willams filled just as much of a need as Johnson would have.

Second, the pick of Shaun Cody. Above all, he represents great value. He was a legitimate first-round talent, at a spot where we need that kind of talent. I would have expected the Lions to take a speed guy, a classic edge rusher. However, no edge rusher available that late has the chance to make any kind of impact. However, Cody has shown tenacity and strength that allows him to get upfield against the run AND the pass. He'll play a role spelling Big Daddy on passing downs, and also rotating in as an end on rushing downs. He adds quality depth at both tackle and end, and he gives them the ability to play with 3-4 alignments as well. He'd be a perfect 3-4 end, and a line of Rogers, Wilkinson, and Cody (with Bailey, Lehman, Holmes, and Davis behind them) would be fearsome, especially as a situational look. I wish the Lions hadn't had to give up the fourth-rounder to get him, but in the end it's worth it to get a quality player who can kill two 'need' birds with one stone.

Third, Stanley Wilson, the corner from Stanford. He's a very very raw athlete with good size and blazing speed. From what I've read, his backpedal and hip swivel are lacking, and he's at his best facing the QB--reading, reacting, and making plays. Given all of the above, I have to wonder if the Lions aren't going to try him at free safety. Let this guy roam and play centerfield. Even if he plays corner, he'll enhance depth and team speed; with Cash and Goodman both re-signed he won't see the field much, even in dime situations. That's why I think they'll let him give Holt a little competition at the free safety spot while he polishes his technique.

Fourth, they got Dan Orlovsky, the QB from UConn. He's a big guy, 6'-5" and a lean 220. He has a big arm and makes great decisions. He's a pocket passer who can make good reads, minimizes mistakes, yet has NFL arm strength. He falls because of some questions about fundamentals, and he had a terrible Senior Bowl. Ted Tollner has been mentoring QBs for 30 years, so one would assume he'd be able to polish the fundamentals. Plus, they won't need him to contribute at all this year, or probably next, so the Lions will have plenty of time to figure out if he can ever reach his physical potential.

Fifth and sixth the Lions got Bill Swancutt and Jonathan Goddard, two project edge rushers. Swancutt was co-Pac Ten defensive player of the year with . . . wait for it . . . Shaun Cody. Meanwhile, Goddard led the nation with 16 sacks on the season. Both of these guys will be brought in to audition for Kalimba Edwards' job as the situational pass rusher. Both were obviously very productive players in college, so we'll see what happens when they hit the field.

Seventh, the Lions apparently took Marcus Maxwell, WR from Oregon. Interestingly, cnnsi.com says that the 49ers took Maxwell at this spot. Either way, Maxwell is tall and fast, and will be given a shot in training camp.

Overall, as I said, the Lions got some great value at need positions this year. They didn't have an overwhelming draft, but the upside potential is great. If Williams does turn out to be the next Keyshawn (minus the mouth) and Cody becomes an effective inside/outside pass rusher, this draft will be a success whether or not any of these talents reaches their potential. One thing I really like about this draft is that outside of Williams, the Lions got lots of projects with outstanding physical tools. These are just the kind of guys you want on special teams and on the bench, learning and playing situational roles. These players improve our depth and team speed; I'd much rather have Stanley Wilson coming off the bench than, say, Otis Smith . . .

Well, if you read this far, I congratulate you.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

Great analysis, policy... as we expected.... but one clarification:  Mike Williams didn't win a championship, actually.  :D

792334[/snapback]

What? Huh? What?

Oh, right. You mean "actually". He won a championship in every way that matters . . .

Peace

policy

What?  Huh?  What?

Oh, right.  You mean "actually".  He won a championship in every way that matters . . .

Peace

policy

792335[/snapback]

Right, "technically" would have been a better choice of words. Stupid BCS. :D

Williams was a fine pick. If Rogers and Roy Williams can stay healthy this year... wow. Could be interesting.

Great job policy,as usual. I believe that getting Swancutt so late was a steal and that adding him and Cody eliminates the talk that the Lions didn't properly address 'needs'. To get a top 5 offensive talent in Williams and then to get those 2 fellas to help the D-Line makes this a pretty decent draft overall. Wilson worries me a bit as I seem to only read that he is fast and raw but maybe he'll round into shape.

Fifth and sixth the Lions got Bill Swancutt and Jonathan Goddard, two project edge rushers.  Swancutt was co-Pac Ten defensive player of the year with . . . wait for it . . . Shaun Cody. 

792330[/snapback]

Everything I'm reading say Swancutt was their best value pick and the steal of the draft.

Actually wasn't he on the co-national championship team that killed UofM in the Rose bowl in 04' as a Soph or am I mistaken

792361[/snapback]

You're right - I was trying to make an underhanded shot at the lame-a$$ BCS.

:D

I like the Lions draft. I really question if Charles Rodgers will ever be an impact player. I think Mike Williams will be a great possession type reciever. I wouldn't call him the most polished WR in the draft, as that title definitely goes to Clayton. I think Mike Williams will make an awesome compliment to Roy Williams speed and play making ability. This will be a make or break year for Harrington, as he will no longer have any excuses.

Overall Draft: C-

The Lions only addressed needs in one of the first three rounds. Unacceptable for a team that's played so poorly over the last several years. I haven't looked to see exactly what the team gave up to get more picks in the late rounds, but I'm not a big proponent of mortgaging future drafts to get picks in the current draft. It's not like the Lions are so close to the Super Bowl that getting a few extra picks in this year's draft will push them over the top. However, the late round picks are the only thing that salvaged this draft for the Lions. This would be a "D" draft for the Lions if it was only based on day one.

Mike Williams: D+

Policy is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. This was a bad pick. True, the Lions O sucked last year, especially the passing game. Even if you believe that most of that was due to the WR (and I firmly believe that a huge portion of that can be laid on Harrington's shoulders), the starting WR corps, even without Mike Williams, would have been completely different this year than for most of last. As policy has alluded to other posts, there's no good reason to believe that Rogers won't be healthy this year. The collarbone injury in 03 was freak, and the re-injury in 04 was due to the fact that it wasn't correctly fixed after the initial injury. He's been a workout warrior the last year, packing on 15 pounds of muscle. There's no reason to believe that he's going to be any more injury prone in 2005 than any other player. The Lions also signed Kevin Johnson. Is Mike Williams an upgrade over Kevin Johnson? Yes. Is an upgrade at WR3 worth the 1.10 pick? No. Derrick Johnson was the pick here. He's an upgrade over our third LB, and in spite of what policy has said, you're playing your base D probably 60% of the snaps that you're playing defense. If Mike Williams is absolutely dominating, this grade may move up to a C+ or B-, but if he's average, this could be a D- or worse.

Shaun Cody: B

This is a pretty good pick. If Cody can make an impact at DE, this fills a need, and the grade raises to an A. If he can only play DT, this grade would drop to a C-, as the Lions have good ones already.

Stanley Wilson: F

Another Millen turd. This makes no sense. All that I've read about this guy is that he's fast enough to recover from the mistakes in judgement, the mistakes in footwork, and the mistakes in technique that he makes. This guy is going to be a project if he's ever going to be good in the NFL. Which would be okay, if the Lions needed at CB. But with Bly and Bryant starting, Cash and Goodman as reasonable nickel and dime backs, and with Keith Smith as our "project", what the hell do we need this guy for? Waste of a pick.

Dan Orlovsky: C+

A project QB. I have no real feelings on this, and I'll make the leap that the front office knew what they were doing.

Bill Swancutt: A

A need pick, and it looks like great value. Too bad Millen waited until the 5th to make a really good pick.

Jonathen Goddard: B+

A need pick. I don't know much about this kid, but it's the 6th round for pete's sake. If you're picking for a need, how bad can it be?

As I said before, the late rounds saved this draft from becoming a complete abomination. But the Lions have done nothing to increase the number of wins next year in this draft.

Edited by Dr. Love

The Lions only addressed needs in one of the first three rounds.  Unacceptable for a team that's played so poorly over the last several years.  I haven't looked to see exactly what the team gave up to get more picks in the late rounds, but I'm not a big proponent of mortgaging future drafts to get picks in the current draft.  It's not like the Lions are so close to the Super Bowl that getting a few extra picks in this year's draft will push them over the top.  However, the late round picks are the only thing that salvaged this draft for the Lions.  This would be a "D" draft for the Lions if it was only based on day one.

Policy is wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.  This was a bad pick.  True, the Lions O sucked last year, especially the passing game.  Even if you believe that most of that was due to the WR (and I firmly believe that a huge portion of that can be laid on Harrington's shoulders), the starting WR corps, even without Mike Williams, would have been completely different this year than for most of last.  As policy has alluded to other posts, there's no good reason to believe that Rogers won't be healthy this year.  The collarbone injury in 03 was freak, and the re-injury in 04 was due to the fact that it wasn't correctly fixed after the initial injury.  He's been a workout warrior the last year, packing on 15 pounds of muscle.  There's no reason to believe that he's going to be any more injury prone in 2005 than any other player.  The Lions also signed Kevin Johnson.  Is Mike Williams an upgrade over Kevin Johnson?  Yes.  Is an upgrade at WR3 worth the 1.10 pick?  No.  Derrick Johnson was the pick here.  He's an upgrade over our third LB, and in spite of what policy has said, you're playing your base D probably 60% of the snaps that you're playing defense.  If Mike Williams is absolutely dominating, this grade may move up to a C+ or B-, but if he's average, this could be a D- or worse.

Shaun Cody: B

This is a pretty good pick.  If Cody can make an impact at DE, this fills a need, and the grade raises to an A.  If he can only play DT, this grade would drop to a C-, as the Lions have good ones already.

Stanley Wilson: F

Another Millen turd.  This makes no sense.  All that I've read about this guy is that he's fast enough to recover from the mistakes in judgement, the mistakes in footwork, and the mistakes in technique that he makes.  This guy is going to be a project if he's ever going to be good in the NFL.  Which would be okay, if the Lions needed at CB.  But with Bly and Bryant starting, Cash and Goodman as reasonable nickel and dime backs, and with Keith Smith as our "project", what the hell do we need this guy for?  Waste of a pick.

Dan Orlovsky: C+

A project QB.  I have no real feelings on this, and I'll make the leap that the front office knew what they were doing. 

Bill Swancutt: A

A need pick, and it looks like great value.  Too bad Millen waited until the 5th to make a really good pick.

Jonathen Goddard: B+

A need pick.  I don't know much about this kid, but it's the 6th round for pete's sake.  If you're picking for a need, how bad can it be?

As I said before, the late rounds saved this draft from becoming a complete abomination.  But the Lions have done nothing to increase the number of wins next year in this draft.

792477[/snapback]

Well Opinions are like ....

I liked the draft myself but that is again just an opinion. I do agree wit you on the 3rd pick but with the way the CB must play WR now I see speed as must have. Now on the other end, BMW will have the an opposite effect on DB's. He does not have that blazing speed but because of his size and the way DB's must back off on WR I see this as a huge plus for a red zone retarted team in the past. Read this article and tell me what you think

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/index.s...42381063420.xml

Edited by BigTen

Policy is wrong.  Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.  This was a bad pick.  True, the Lions O sucked last year, especially the passing game.  Even if you believe that most of that was due to the WR (and I firmly believe that a huge portion of that can be laid on Harrington's shoulders), the starting WR corps, even without Mike Williams, would have been completely different this year than for most of last.  As policy has alluded to other posts, there's no good reason to believe that Rogers won't be healthy this year.  The collarbone injury in 03 was freak, and the re-injury in 04 was due to the fact that it wasn't correctly fixed after the initial injury.  He's been a workout warrior the last year, packing on 15 pounds of muscle.  There's no reason to believe that he's going to be any more injury prone in 2005 than any other player.  The Lions also signed Kevin Johnson.  Is Mike Williams an upgrade over Kevin Johnson?  Yes.  Is an upgrade at WR3 worth the 1.10 pick?  No.  Derrick Johnson was the pick here.  He's an upgrade over our third LB, and in spite of what policy has said, you're playing your base D probably 60% of the snaps that you're playing defense.  If Mike Williams is absolutely dominating, this grade may move up to a C+ or B-, but if he's average, this could be a D- or worse.

792477[/snapback]

Isn't another HUGH problem with Williams going to be the postition that he's playing (#3 WR in the slot), AND the fact that he'll be in the WCO. Two things he's expected to have problems adapting to. :D

I agree with Dr. Love, this was not a good pick for the Lions. What the fudge did they add KJ for if they were planning on drafting Williams? :D

I'm not sure how I feel on BMW either, but if Rogers and Roy go down again like last year then Millen's a f'n genius. If everyone healthy than multiple receiver sets and pray the def just just rush 7 every time we got 5 on the line (6 if TE blocks)

Isn't another HUGH problem with Williams going to be the postition that he's playing (#3 WR in the slot), AND the fact that he'll be in the WCO. Two things he's expected to have problems adapting to. :D

I agree with Dr. Love, this was not a good pick for the Lions. What the fudge did they add KJ for if they were planning on drafting Williams? :D

792576[/snapback]

They were not planning on drafting him, he fell to them and they could not pass him up.

Look, the Lions did not have a healthy CR and RW was hurt after game 6, they needed a WR. Their WR corps sucked with out those guys at 100%. BMW is a good blocker and when KJ gets the ball we have another 6'5" 230lb blocker. Who in the league, or their divison, can cover thier WR's? BMW makes our redzone offense a ton better. I liked the value with Willimas. I think that if they would have taken any def players that they get lower value. The overall def players IMHO was not great. They still got the guy they wantd in the second and with a healthy Boss Baliy, Teddy Lehman, with Homes and Davis their LB corps are a lot better.

This pick also helps the defense because the defense was on the field way to much because the offense sucked and could not sustain any drives.

Remember when we had Perriman, Moore and Morton? That offense was great and it sure helps with the running game. When Garcia was in SF and in his prime people drooled about their passiing game. But you know what, they lead the league in rushing that year with G. Hearst. A good running game will be the defense's best friend!

792477[/snapback]

Okay, let's review:

* You admit the passing game was awful last year. Since KJ led the league in rushing the second half of last year, and the Lions lost a lot of close games . . . the obvious answer is that the #1 need was to upgrade the AWFUL passing game. This team is built for the passing game to be WINNING games. With the money sunk into QB, WR, TE, and OL, this team is supposed to be lighting other teams up, Rams-style. Instead, it's one of the worst passing games in the league. I agree with you that a large part of the blame can be put on Harrington's shoulders--but if he's throwing to practice-squadders he got no reps with before the season, how can you expect success? Right now, Roy Williams and Charles Rogers are no more than talented phantasms; the football equivalent of vaporware. No matter how good they're supposed to be, until that production comes consistently over a 16-game season, you can't act as if it's a sure thing.

* You admit that the recievers actually on the field last year were terrible, but that there's "no good reason" to believe that both Chuck and Roy won't be back 100%. Sure there is: Chuck has been on the roster for two years, and he's only played in five games. Just because you can explain away the nature of his injuries doesn't mean they won't recur. At this point, pretending that Chuck Rogers has any kind of a guarantee on him is foolishness. Roy is a beast, but he was nicked up badly and then played through it . . . while I think he'll be fine, you never know if he lost a little edge while doing that. He never approached the form he flashed in the first few games before the injury. Even if one of those two is 100%, if one doesn't make it back then you're talking about one of them starting Kevin Johnson, and maybe Az Hakim behind him--not exactly a stellar WR corps. And, if the injury bug bites the Lions' WR corps again--as it's done every year for like the last seven years in a row--then you're looking at another year of hoping retreads and also-rans get it done in an offense built to throw it down the field. NOT ACCEPTABLE.

* You say Derrick Johnson was the pick here, based on what? We already have Tedy Lehman, James Davis, and Alex Lewis, all three of whom are fast, tough, and effective on the weak side. In particular, Lehman has incredible upside--Lehman is practically a clone of Johnson, maybe a few pounds smaller, but just as smart, fast, and tenacious. Maybe the Lions could have him split time with Holmes in the middle, then draft Johnson to replace him, but then you're marginalizing a potentially great player so you can start a rookie just like him. That's the definition of "luxury, not need". You are saying DJ is a "need" because you are in love with the idea of on an LB corps of Bailey/Lehman/Johnson . . . that's an entirely different thing than "needing an outside linebacker". In fact, if the Lions have any need at linebacker, it's for a big-bodied MLB with speed, to groom as Holmes' replacement.

* If you're saying you have to draft defense in the first round just because, I again retort with: Why? The defense was not the problem last year, it was the miserable passing game. Chuck Rogers and Roy Williams couldn't elevate the passing game last year, so why count on them to be able to do it this year? You'd really risk another whole season just to "upgrade" from Lehman to Johnson? Do you think that lowly of Lehman, or that highly of Johnson?

The bottom line is this: the Lions didn't have a "Need", per se. There were several areas where they could use depth or improvement, but no true holes. No player drafted at this spot would have stepped into an immediate, full-time starters's role, unless Dwight Freeney or Ed Reed were available at the 1.10. The Lions chose to bolster a WR corps that has two very young, high-risk/high-reward talents and f'n nothing behind them, rather than add another fast, athetic linebacker to an LB corps full of them.

Peace

policy

... the Lions have done nothing to increase the number of wins next year in this draft.

792477[/snapback]

this guy drops realism :D

actually, the lions will be an interesting team to watch next year. they could pretty good, or they could be lousy again. they may want to keep an eye on the college QBs who might be worth a top 10 pick in next year's draft, just in case :D

Okay, let's review:

* You admit the passing game was awful last year.  Since KJ led the league in rushing the second half of last year, and the Lions lost a lot of close games . . . the obvious answer is that the #1 need was to upgrade the AWFUL passing game.  This team is built for the passing game to be WINNING games.  With the money sunk into QB, WR, TE, and OL, this team is supposed to be lighting other teams up, Rams-style.  Instead, it's one of the worst passing games in the league.  I agree with you that a large part of the blame can be put on Harrington's shoulders--but if he's throwing to practice-squadders he got no reps with before the season, how can you expect success?  Right now, Roy Williams and Charles Rogers are no more than talented phantasms; the football equivalent of vaporware.  No matter how good they're supposed to be, until that production comes consistently over a 16-game season, you can't act as if it's a sure thing. 

* You admit that the recievers actually on the field last year were terrible, but that there's "no good reason" to believe that both Chuck and Roy won't be back 100%.  Sure there is: Chuck has been on the roster for two years, and he's only played in five games.  Just because you can explain away the nature of his injuries doesn't mean they won't recur.  At this point, pretending that Chuck Rogers has any kind of a guarantee on him is foolishness.  Roy is a beast, but he was nicked up badly and then played through it  . . . while I think he'll be fine, you never know if he lost a little edge while doing that.  He never approached the form he flashed in the first few games before the injury.  Even if one of those two is 100%, if one doesn't make it back then you're talking about one of them starting Kevin Johnson, and maybe Az Hakim behind him--not exactly a stellar WR corps.  And, if the injury bug bites the Lions' WR corps again--as it's done every year for like the last seven years in a row--then you're looking at another year of hoping retreads and also-rans get it done in an offense built to throw it down the field.  NOT ACCEPTABLE.

* You say Derrick Johnson was the pick here, based on what?  We already have Tedy Lehman, James Davis, and Alex Lewis, all three of whom are fast, tough, and effective on the weak side.  In particular, Lehman has incredible upside--Lehman is practically a clone of Johnson, maybe a few pounds smaller, but just as smart, fast, and tenacious.  Maybe the Lions could have him split time with Holmes in the middle, then draft Johnson to replace him, but then you're marginalizing a potentially great player so you can start a rookie just like him.  That's the definition of "luxury, not need".  You are saying DJ is a "need" because you are in love with the idea of on an LB corps of Bailey/Lehman/Johnson . . . that's an entirely different thing than "needing an outside linebacker".  In fact, if the Lions have any need at linebacker, it's for a big-bodied MLB with speed, to groom as Holmes' replacement.

* If you're saying you have to draft defense in the first round just because, I again retort with: Why?  The defense was not the problem last year, it was the miserable passing game.  Chuck Rogers and Roy Williams couldn't elevate the passing game last year, so why count on them to be able to do it this year?  You'd really risk another whole season just to "upgrade" from Lehman to Johnson?  Do you think that lowly of Lehman, or that highly of Johnson?

The bottom line is this: the Lions didn't have a "Need", per se.  There were several areas where they could use depth or improvement, but no true holes.  No player drafted at this spot would have stepped into an immediate, full-time starters's role, unless Dwight Freeney or Ed Reed were available at the 1.10.  The Lions chose to bolster a WR corps that has two very young, high-risk/high-reward talents and f'n nothing behind them, rather than add another fast, athetic linebacker to an LB corps full of them.

Peace

policy

792657[/snapback]

Nicely done.