[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Lurie interview

nogohawk

I don't have a link, but I was watching a Phila. news station this morning at 5 AM and they played an interview with Jeffrey Lurie from last evening. He stated TO has a contract and there will be no renogiation. A contract is a contract and he's not going to open the franchise for any future renegotiations from TO or any other player. I have to admit, I love Lurie by sticking by his guns and saying "No"! :D

Sorry, but I couldn't find a link to paste. :doah:

With the momentum that "renegotiating" contracts has taken lately, some owner had better stand fast and not cater or the floodgates will burst every year with this stuff. I think there's a handful of cases where agents get away with too big of deals and that only serves then as a baseline for the future.

I hope the Eagles do not budge an inch.

:D:D amen, I mean really how much money do you need in life...I agree that TO is a great player and tough as nails to come back and play in the SB, but sorry that does not mean you are worth more. I just means you have heart...you love the game...so stop your :D and get your :D to mini camp when it starts you little Sally... :D NO MO $$$$ FO YO T.O!! :D

:D  :D amen, I mean really how much money do you need in life...I agree that TO is a great player and tough as nails to come back and play in the SB, but sorry that does not mean you are worth more.  I just means you have heart...you love the game...so stop your  :D and get your  :D to mini camp when it starts you little Sally...  :D NO MO $$$$ FO YO T.O!!  :D

835875[/snapback]

:D I believe that sums it up very well ... case closed.

hopefully

:D  :D amen, I mean really how much money do you need in life...I agree that TO is a great player and tough as nails to come back and play in the SB, but sorry that does not mean you are worth more.  I just means you have heart...you love the game...so stop your  :D and get your  :D to mini camp when it starts you little Sally...  :D NO MO $$$$ FO YO T.O!!  :D

835875[/snapback]

I really don't think what he's doing now had anything to do with the Superbowl performance. I think he had this planned out from the start....sign the seven year deal, which he knew was front-loaded with a huge signing bonus and then hold out for the second year, which he knew from the start was going to be significantly less money.

There's no way the Eagles will renegotiate. TO has to make a decision...sit out the year or play under your current contract.

OK. Lets assume TO holds out for the entire year.....How does that impact McNabbs fantasy numbers? Im thinking that he will replace some of the passing yards and TDs with rushing yards and TDs. Picture this:

McNabb goes back to pass,....he does his scramble thing to beat the pass rush after he has been in the pocket way to long anyway,....still nobody is open,...then he takes off running.

I'm actually surprised the owners haven't banded together in an effort to establish a policy against being held hostage.  Because until teams quit giving in, players will continue to expect them to.

836149[/snapback]

That's what I keep thinking. They need some sort of union of owners who will law down the law and stick to it. Because the sucky thing about this is every renegotiation effects not only that team but the entire league. Such bowing down to the players sets standards.

Aren't these players technically breaching their contracts when they hold out? Why don't the owners just drag their over-paid asses into court and get some of their money back? Might stop some of these ego-maniacs from holding out while still under contract.

Eagles unsure of Owens for training camp

"It's a pretty simple process. Either T.O.'s going to show up or he's not going to show up. He's going to play or he's not going to play," Reid said. "I've said this before, would we like to have T.O.? Sure. We'd like to have him. Can we plug somebody else in there and still win Super Bowls? Yeah, absolutely we feel that way."

Aren't these players technically breaching their contracts when they hold out?  Why don't the owners just drag their over-paid asses into court and get some of their money back?  Might stop some of these ego-maniacs from holding out while still under contract.

836311[/snapback]

I've never seen an NFL player's contract, so I don't know what the terms are. But assuming the player was in breach, that'd be another thing that would impact negotiations, assuming all owners agreed to do the same.

Knee-capping "certain" agents would be yet another.

Aren't these players technically breaching their contracts when they hold out?  Why don't the owners just drag their over-paid asses into court and get some of their money back?  Might stop some of these ego-maniacs from holding out while still under contract.

836311[/snapback]

I would love to see an owner do this...lmao!

There's a problem here that the owners bring upon themsleves. Every year they approach players asking (forcing through threats of being cut) players to renegotiate their contracts to stay under the salary cap. Their lawyers design and write these contracts with exactly that in mind.

I have to agree that agents like Rosenhaus and those two Poston brothers feed off this, telling their players they can use that as an excuse to also ask to regotiate contracts. Sometimes, players like Westbrook or Javon Walker or Antonio Gates are indeed underpaid, not starving, but underpaid. It's understandable why they want to renegotiate contracts since the NFL owners do.

Gate's agent and Gates himself are doing it the correct way, show up for camp, voice your requests in private, and if the team doesn't support you, go for free agency.

Remember, the owners still have that ability to slap a franchise title on the player like the Colts and Seahawks did with their star RBs.

T.O. case is unique, and he let Rosenhaus hang him out there to dry. He also signed a bad contract just to get to play with the Eagles. As Chad Johnson says, the agent works for me and I make the final decision so Owens has to wear it.

He's not a bad guy, Lord knows there are some really bad druggies and wife beaters in the NFL that are a lot worse than Owens. He just tends to say the wrong things at the wrong times.

On the field, he works his ass off on every play, even when not getting the ball. I'll take him on my fantasy team any day.

Edited by BoosBandits

why is ok for owners to pocket millions of cash (i.e rape the fans with ticket prices, etc.), but players can't ask for more? i say screw the managment, players get as much as possible, i know the owners say the same thing about us fans (screw the fans, charge as much as possible).

I'm actually surprised the owners haven't banded together in an effort to establish a policy against being held hostage.  Because until teams quit giving in, players will continue to expect them to.

836149[/snapback]

ah, you mean, like how they got together and said "hey, we ain't garanteeing sh!, we'll cut you whenever we want. if you sign a bad deal, too bad for you. but if we ink a bad deal, we can cut you."... o wait, they did do that!

This whole sighting of 'Owners can cut players whenever they wish' jazz is just pure and simple BS.  That is why there are signing bonuses.  Signing bonuses are players insurance.

836666[/snapback]

True 'dat. And soloartist, explain to me how Owens contract is a "bad deal."

why is ok for owners to pocket millions of cash (i.e rape the fans with ticket prices, etc.), but players can't ask for more?  i say screw the managment, players get as much as possible, i know the owners say the same thing about us fans (screw the fans, charge as much as possible).

836595[/snapback]

So you want the NFL to turn out like the NHL. Yes, the owners make tons of money but if they start paying players everything they wanted you would get:

1 - A league that has problems like the NHL. Players are making too much and teams lose money.

2 - A lot more teams getting screwed by the salary cap because 2-3 players make up 70% of the cap space.

ah, you mean, like how they got together and said "hey, we ain't garanteeing sh!, we'll cut you whenever we want.  if you sign a bad deal, too bad for you.  but if we ink a bad deal, we can cut you."... o wait, they did do that!

836597[/snapback]

Like Duchess said, when the NFLPA and the owners agreed on the last CBA, the NFLPA knew player could be cut for under preforming or being hurt. In order to hedge those possibilities the players get big signing bonuses. Owens made $9M+ last season and is scheduled to make I believe $3M+ this season. Next season he will make $7-8M+. That is about $7M+ a year. If the Eagles decide to cut Owens, thus not giving him the $5M roster bonus he is scheduled to make in year #3 then he can go out and sign with someone else and get another signing bonus or if he doesn't get cut he gets $5M from the Eagles as a roster bonus.

I find it amusing how everyone is pissed off at players who hold out for more money...all the while smiling with admiration at the Scrooge-like owners like Lurie. Who do you think takes more of YOUR money, morons?

The Philadelphia Eagles is the 3rd- or 4th-most profitable sports franchise IN THE WORLD, valued at just under 1 billion dollars. You're all trying to argue that Lurie shouldn't have to pay Terrell Owens his fair market value? :D Whatever.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I understand Luries position LAST year: Owens was coming off an injury-plagued, mediocre year AND had some obvious character issues. So, he gives him a crappy offer with very low money in the 2nd year, to see how T.O. performs in the first year.

Well, T.O. performed his ASS off last year. He did more than Lurie could have ever dreamed, especially in the game that counts most. As a gesture of good faith, Lurie should have re-done T.O.'s contract without a word from Owens or his agent.

Lurie is a tight-fisted, greedy, and very shrewd NFL owner. He knows he can take a hard line with T.O. because he knows the fans see this whole thing as T.O.'s fault. Meanwhile, he keeps his loyal fan base paying the ridiculous ticket prices, all the while thinking, "Our owner is such a stand-up guy!"

Keep it up, lemmings. Cha-ching! :D

With the momentum that "renegotiating" contracts has taken lately, some owner had better stand fast and not cater or the floodgates will burst every year with this stuff. I think there's a handful of cases where agents get away with too big of deals and that only serves then as a baseline for the future.

I hope the Eagles do not budge an inch.

835870[/snapback]

I sincerely hope both sides stick to their guns in this case. Eagles hold tight and TO holds out all year! :D

A contract is a contract - especially when it comes to the deal Owens is sitting on.

Swiss, how can you say Owens got a crappy offer. He made over $9M last year. If the Eagles were so worried about his health or character why would they have given him so much up front? Fact is that the Eagles and the NFLPA both went over the contract with Owens made sure he was aware of the situation according to numerous radio reports. Hockey let salaries get too high and look what happened. If the Eagles cave, then it will create a domino effect, not just for the Eagles but the whole NFL.

I believe if Owens/Rosenhaus didn't blast the contract all over the television & radio the Eagles may have done something for Owens. Rosenhaus goes on all these TV shows and takes the whole thing public thinking the fans would side with Owens. Obviuosly he made a huge mistake. The fans want T.O. to play but Philly is a blue collar town who doesn't take well to players who make millions of dollars a year and then say they need more to support their families.

I find it amusing how everyone is pissed off at players who hold out for more money...all the while smiling with admiration at the Scrooge-like owners like Lurie. Who do you think takes more of YOUR money, morons?

The Philadelphia Eagles is the 3rd- or 4th-most profitable sports franchise IN THE WORLD, valued at just under 1 billion dollars. You're all trying to argue that Lurie shouldn't have to pay Terrell Owens his fair market value? :D Whatever.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I understand Luries position LAST year: Owens was coming off an injury-plagued, mediocre year AND had some obvious character issues. So, he gives him a crappy offer with very low money in the 2nd year, to see how T.O. performs in the first year.

Well, T.O. performed his ASS off last year. He did more than Lurie could have ever dreamed, especially in the game that counts most. As a gesture of good faith, Lurie should have re-done T.O.'s contract without a word from Owens or his agent.

Lurie is a tight-fisted, greedy, and very shrewd NFL owner. He knows he can take a hard line with T.O. because he knows the fans see this whole thing as T.O.'s fault. Meanwhile, he keeps his loyal fan base paying the ridiculous ticket prices, all the while thinking, "Our owner is such a stand-up guy!"

Keep it up, lemmings. Cha-ching! :D

836708[/snapback]

Uh, dude, ever hear of a salary cap? Eagles have been one of the best at managing the cap over the past several years and it shows in their success as a team. Paying TO whatever he wants after he has already agreed to a very fair contract one year prior would be idiotic. Who's the moron?