[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fishing...

ABearWithFurniture

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mainly ice fish Bear. I have more time on my hands during the winter months. I do get out for some trout fishing in some smaller streams several times a year. I took my daughter (4 1/2) ice fishing 4 or 5 times last year. She just asked me to take her "regular" fishing last week. I'm going to take her over to a friends pond to catch bluegills and small largemouths next week. Nothing real serious, as I'm not sure what her attention span will be. As the kids get older, I'll get them out on the local lakes, but right now, the time is limited to really get into it.

Being from South Florida I spend a lot of time on the water. Fishing the ocean for sailfish is a blast this time of year, but there is almost nothing better than blackened tuna or dolphin on the grill. When things get a little rough offshore (hurricane season is among us now), we head to the backcountry for tarpon and snook fishing. You haven't felt or seen anything as beautiful as a 100 lb tarpon jumping out of water in the back bays and islands of the Florida keys. We use an all release format there so they can fight another day. It is a real thrill, and of course did I mention the RUMRUNNERS afterward.

Ever coming to South Florida, let me know.

I haven't gotten out much in the last two years, but still have my (small) boat. I've never fished a tourney, I prefer to relax when I go fishing. I've caught about 8 LMB's over 20", which is pretty much trophy size in NY, and one 19" SMB, a trophy fish in anyone's book. I use artificials almost exclusivly, unless I want to fish for dinner, then it's perch. We get some nice 1 pounders on LI, so it's pretty good eating. I've also caught some trophy bluegills while bass fishing with 7" worms, that always cracks me up.

As a matter of fact, just got back from a trip to middle Minnesota for some fishing and relaxing. Don't fish as much as I used to, but up there we go for bass and pike.

Here at home we mainly do some bass fishing, and will also fish for catfish and crappie.

I have a little 12' boat I take to farm ponds and small lakes around KC, and always say I'm going to try and fish more. With a little one on the way it will be hard.

I would consider myself a fairly knowledgeable fisherman; just not a lot of time right now to go out and do it.

So, Bear without fish, just how do you do in all these tourneys?

846517[/snapback]

Was in a tournament last weekend and came in 3rd place with the 3rd overall big fish. I grew up fishing for bass in SE Texas but always used live bait...just started using artificial lures the past 4-5 years so I'm still learning. Bought an 18 ft. Ranger boat a few years ago so getting better and better with more time on the water...

And whenever you're in NorCal, give me a heads up as my back seat is generally available when I go out...

Bear,

Around here we have a lot of lily pads and heavy grasses, so lately I have been using a weedless plastic frog. You just throw it near the bank and slowly drag it across the top. The bass have absolutely been killing this thing.

I would recommend using fireline in this situation though: it seems like mono has too much of a stretch to be able to pull the fish out of the heavy weeds. Have lost WAY fewer fish with fireline.

Here's what I am talking about : Froglure

I use the green one.

Edited by Chief Dick

I fished my 1st tournament this year in the FLW Walleye Leagueas a co-angler. (non-boater) Next year, I will be a boater and fish all three tourneys and hopefully make it to the championship and win some some cash. Its fun more than anything. I also am out on the water at least once a week.

What kind of watercraft do you guys have?

I can brag about my 05 Lund 1800 tiller with a 90 Merc 4 stroke. Awesome fishing machine!!!

Also: for the die hard fantasy fanatics!!!

When I was in college I'd go fishing about three times a week. There were 4 very good bass lakes within about 30 miles of where I was living. Since graduating college 8 years ago, I think I've only gone fishing 3 or 4 times, with the exception of deep sea fishing, when I go on vacation.

Bear,

Around here we have a lot of lily pads and heavy grasses, so lately I have been using a weedless plastic frog. You just throw it near the bank and slowly drag it across the top. The bass have absolutely been killing this thing.

I would recommend using fireline in this situation though: it seems like mono has too much of a stretch to be able to pull the fish out of the heavy weeds. Have lost WAY fewer fish with fireline.

Here's what I am talking about : Froglure

I use the green one.

846660[/snapback]

The frog is huge out here, use it almost year around. Nothing quite like having an 8 lber. come crashing through a mat and eat your frog. SnagProof has a tournament out here every August where you can use nothing but their frog and a few of their other lures. I've fished it the last 3 years in a row. Using the Bobby Barrack frog right now which is a bit more realistic looking then their other tournament frogs. Bobby lives a few blocks away from so I run into him from time to time...great guy. Also have another Snagproof pro living right next door to me so I get quite a bit of free lures and stuff from him as well. And basically, with the hawgs in the delta, everyone pretty much has braided line tied on all the time. I use 30-50 lb. PowerPro regularly, but have tried FireLine and SpiderWire...all good stuff but I just find the PowerPro to my liking.

You guys using Fireline..... I envy you. Believe it or not, some of the best bass waters in NY State are on LI. The best of them are very shallow, with only some 6 to 8 foot depth around an old creek bed. Most of the water runs 3 foot or less. We have weeds up the gazoo. Unless it's cloudy with a front approaching, top water lures rarely work. About the only thing that does work are plastic worms, with no, or a 1/32 oz wieght. The strike zone is typically at about a foot and a half deep. These fish seem to "see" stuff like Fireline.... I have to use 6 to 10 lb mono. Early hook sets and getting him on top of the weeds is crucial. I think it's the water clarity from fresh water clam infestations that makes mono the only real option.

About the only time I can use Fireline is when I'm pitching a jig deep into one foot deep water well into some willows, looking for an immediate strike. I don't have a fancy rig, just a 14' Bass Tracker aluminum. At least it doesn't have any benches, both seats are pedastals. No need for a gas motor around here either, although I used to have one. A good trolling motor on the bow works fine.

Bear, I'd love to fish CA. I hired a giude out there about 15 years ago, and he took me to a small reservior, about two hours away, and got lost trying to find it! The guy knew squat. He had us fishing open water for 3 hours and I told him enough. I insisted we pitch weedless lures into the reeds, and we started catching fish. By the time it was over, he was asking me to pard with him in a tourney! :D In NY, since the growing season is short, no LMB's ever get over 23"s. I know they can get HUGE in CA.

I mostly fish the ponds on sw AR and e TX. I do however fish the mountin streams of AR and OK when I work in those areas.

Did I ever tel you that at least 1/3 of the hours I bill are for fishing? Yeah its a rough life but I manage.

I don't get out as much as I use to, but still take the occasional weekend jaunt up to the family cabin. Usually fish for walleye or northern, however our lake is connected to 2 others, so if the mood hits, I can hit one of the smaller lakes for some fantastic sunfish or bluegills - talking slab sized sunnys - good eating and lots of fun to catch.

Our lake also has some decent largemouth. I typically only fish them while up there for our family vacation in August, when my cousin's husband comes up. He's big into bass fishing, and doesn't really go for walleyes unless he's taking his kids out (they're a little to young to be casting yet).

Although, the nicest walleye I ever caught - 27 inches long, almost 8 pounds, I caught bass fishing up there last year, using a white spinner bait.

I grew up on Big Stone Lake on the Minnesota and South Dakota border. This may mean something to you Minnesota fisherman. Fantastic walleye fishing. A high school buddy and I almost didn't graduate our Senior year due to fishing everynight in May. I went off to college and haven't really fished since. I live next to one of the best walleye fisheries in the nation. Oahe Resevior and Lake Sharpe have been on the FLW, RCL, PWT, and many other tounament rotations. I need to buy a boat and get back into it. All this talk has made me hunger for walleye.