[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2008 draft loaded at RB

Bronco Billy

Mendenhall will be the best back in this draft.

Nod. Upon further consideration, all signs are pointing to Mendenhall's probably coming out. As gilthorp mentioned in a thread in the College Forum, his brother's waiting in the wings and he's likely ready for the NFL.

Jamaal Charles declared for the draft, and from what I remember of him this year, he's been pretty damn good. He is 6-1, 205 lbs, so he could use some weight, but I think he outta be decent.

I see Charles as more of a CoP RB. He'd make a good compliment to a chains-mover type RB, maybe a replacement in DAL for Jones for example. I don't see him as being nearly strong enough to allow any team to make him a featured RB.

I see Charles as more of a CoP RB. He'd make a good compliment to a chains-mover type RB, maybe a replacement in DAL for Jones for example. I don't see him as being nearly strong enough to allow any team to make him a featured RB.

:D

Charles' predecessor/backfield mate of old...

Size/weight = strong?

For the record, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you... he'll probably be best in a dual-back system... but I wouldn't peg him in the negative vain as a "change of pace" back only. He's proven he can run between the tackles against solid competition. And any way you slice it, Charles (in only 3 years) is fourth all-time in terms of yardage for UT.

I will have no problem grabbing him in a dynasty league.

Charles' predecessor/backfield mate of old...

Size/weight = strong?

For the record, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you... he'll probably be best in a dual-back system... but I wouldn't peg him in the negative vain as a "change of pace" back only. He's proven he can run between the tackles against solid competition. And any way you slice it, Charles (in only 3 years) is fourth all-time in terms of yardage for UT.

I will have no problem grabbing him in a dynasty league.

It's okay - disagree with me!

I don't think Charles runs nearly as hard as Young did (does). Mass does have something to do with ability to run inside, but so does strength, desire, and mental toughness. My concern is that Charles just doesn't like to run inside much. If that's true, and it may not be, that's an issue that will limit him as a pro.

It's okay - disagree with me!

I don't think Charles runs nearly as hard as Young did (does). Mass does have something to do with ability to run inside, but so does strength, desire, and mental toughness. My concern is that Charles just doesn't like to run inside much. If that's true, and it may not be, that's an issue that will limit him as a pro.

I understand. However I'm just recalling all the negative things (some similar to what's being said here about Charles) said about Selvin Young. And Young, therefore, went undrafted. Now look at the guy. :D Maybe I should just shut up and let everyone undervalue the guy.

.... My concern is that Charles just doesn't like to run inside much. If that's true, and it may not be, that's an issue that will limit him as a pro.

I don't think that's an issue with him. UT almost exclusively used him behind ZBS all year... one cut and can get some tough yardage. I don't recall ever seeing much pitter-patter with his feet. He's very good after initial contact. Checkout some of his highlights. Even the highlights against decent teams (OSU, OU) he shows good power, good burst, and ability to break tackles. Not make guys miss but run through trash...

YOUTUBE

The big concern with Charles will be his fumbling problem. Guy just can't hang on to the pill.

EDIT: Not really related to his running ability but found this. AJ Hawk sidesteps him and not only doesn't Charles give up on the play he lays into him pretty good...

YOUTUBE

Edited by kingfish247

I don't think that's an issue with him. UT almost exclusively used him behind ZBS all year... one cut and can get some tough yardage. I don't recall ever seeing much pitter-patter with his feet. He's very good after initial contact. Checkout some of his highlights. Even the highlights against decent teams (OSU, OU) he shows good power, good burst, and ability to break tackles. Not make guys miss but run through trash...

YOUTUBE

The big concern with Charles will be his fumbling problem. Guy just can't hang on to the pill.

It is amazing the effects that NFL coaches can have on fumblers.

Mendenhall will be the best back in this draft.

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

:D Better than McFadden? Or better than the rest of the guys AFTER McFadden? I'm very interested in this because I've got a nice #2 overall pick in a dynasty draft coming up.

:D Better than McFadden? Or better than the rest of the guys AFTER McFadden? I'm very interested in this because I've got a nice #2 overall pick in a dynasty draft coming up.

Personally, I think McFadden is to this year's draft what Peterson was to last year's. He's way out ahead of the pack and I think his skill set translates very well to the next level. And I really do like Mendenhall as a pro RB, BTW.

Personally, I think McFadden is to this year's draft what Peterson was to last year's. He's way out ahead of the pack and I think his skill set translates very well to the next level. And I really do like Mendenhall as a pro RB, BTW.

McFadden is not Adrian Peterson. McFadden reminds me of Thurman Thomas. Which certainly isnt a bad thing. But Mendenhall reminds me of a faster Emmitt.

Obviously where each back is taken will determine fantasy production.

Charles reminds me of Portis. No he isnt the inside runner Portis can be, but his speed, and running style are very similar. But Tatum Bell reminded me of Portis as well, and as you saw those 2 aint even close. Portis heart makes him special, where tatum had talent but no heart what so ever. Does Charles have it? Well Charles talked a big game. Said he was going to make Texas forget all about Adrian Peterson when he went to Texas, after Petersons freshman year.

Jonathon Stewart looks awfully like Shaun Alexander. If he ends up in Seattle, he could be a monster as well.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

McFadden is not Adrian Peterson. McFadden reminds me of Thurman Thomas. Which certainly isnt a bad thing. But Mendenhall reminds me of a faster Emmitt.

Obviously where each back is taken will determine fantasy production.

Charles reminds me of Portis. No he isnt the inside runner Portis can be, but his speed, and running style are very similar. But Tatum Bell reminded me of Portis as well, and as you saw those 2 aint even close. Portis heart makes him special, where tatum had talent but no heart what so ever. Does Charles have it? Well Charles talked a big game. Said he was going to make Texas forget all about Adrian Peterson when he went to Texas, after Petersons freshman year.

Jonathon Stewart looks awfully like Shaun Alexander. If he ends up in Seattle, he could be a monster as well.

I fell for that too. :D

Charles reminds me of Portis. No he isnt the inside runner Portis can be, but his speed, and running style are very similar.[/b] But Tatum Bell reminded me of Portis as well, and as you saw those 2 aint even close.

Very good comparison--Charles to Portis--but I never saw how Bell compared to Portis so IMO Charles doesn't compare to Bell.

A cool breeze could knock over Bell. I'd say, in the skills/heart/running style dept, Charles is somewhere in between Bell and Portis.

Not a bad Bowl game todat by Rice:

35 - 280 -4

Shouldn't hurt his stock, that's for sure.

Playing Ball State helps a bit.

Edited by kingfish247

Very good comparison--Charles to Portis--but I never saw how Bell compared to Portis so IMO Charles doesn't compare to Bell.

Agreed. The mass question came into mind immediately with Bell, and it never did with Portis. Bell never had, nor will he ever have, the body to be a featured RB - and we won't even go into mental attitude & toughness.

It killed me to watch DEN trade up during that draft & then select DJ Williams in the 1st round when SJax fell that far - ask DW & a couple of other DEN guys that I was with - when DEN traded up I was screaming for joy that Shanahan was after Jackson, then I was pssing & moaning big time when he selected Williams instead, and I was cursing a blue streak when Bell was picked in the 2nd round as the next great DEN RB.

Imagine Steven Jackson in the DEN running game...it should have happened.