[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What?Gene Upshaw dead?

Randall

RIP Gene. Great OL, and did a great job helping to make this league what it is today. He may have pissed off some of the more militant members of the NFLPA, but he made concessions where necessary to serve the best interests of his constituency while ensuring that the Golden Goose didn't get killed.

With the owners posturing for a hard stance against the rise in the cap, this is a very pivotal time for the head of the NFLPA. I sure hope that they don't put someone in place that decides to play chicken vs the owners, because the owners are dead serious about where the revenue sharing stands right now and don't show any signs of cracks in their front or their fortitude.

This must of been why. They wanted to replace Gene so quickly. The players knew he was sick. The representatives that is that was tight with Gene. This would also explain why Baltimore Kicker was so set on finding his replacement so quickly. This is a true shocker. I am personally worried about the balance of the NFL now. I pray it do not turn into the NBA; you know who will win every year.

what does this mean to the league?? what was he a strong proponent of? against?

For the union and against the owners having too much control. He wanted as much power as he could get.

He and Tags were able to get a deal done before Tags retired and now it looks like before he died. Pancreatic cancer is a bad one.

This must of been why. They wanted to replace Gene so quickly. The players knew he was sick. The representatives that is that was tight with Gene. This would also explain why Baltimore Kicker was so set on finding his replacement so quickly. This is a true shocker. I am personally worried about the balance of the NFL now. I pray it do not turn into the NBA; you know who will win every year.

Is there anyone fluent in ebonics who can interpret this for me?

Had no idea he was battling cancer.
I'm not sure if you mean that you had no idea that he had cancer, but it was just mentioned on M&M that he just found out that he was sick last Sunday.

I just lost an aunt to cancer and she fought a losing battle over the past 4 or 5 years. I wasn't real close to the aunt but my dad called weekly and I knew what effects it had on the family over the years. I can't imagine what it's like to go through all that in just a matter of days.