[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BEST RB EVER

1stimer

Who is the best RB in the history of the NFL?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best RB in the history of the NFL?

• Jim Brown
    • Walter Payton
    • Barry Sanders
    • Emmitt Smith

This poll is not in regards to FF numbers but rather who is the better NFL RB. I don't think it should need to be mentioned, but take into account offensive lines, supporting casts and so forth and what the players accomplished with those surroundings. Well, have at it all ...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that will most certainly throw some votes toward Smith ... but at least it admits that Sanders is #3 on numbers only because he was only in the league 10 years. 2 more years in the league and he would still have the most yardage of any back.

NOTE: His yards per carry was higher than Payton or Smith and his yards per reception was higher than Smith but not Payton.

That is some good stuff based on stats DMD. :D

Well.... he IS a 1stimer. :D

842625[/snapback]

Thanks Hugh ... nothing like a big slap on the noggin to wake you back up.

I haven't gone through all the old posts. So if this is old hat for some of you, please ignore my ignorance if you will.

I'm a Cowboy fan and voted for Payton. That being said, I don't think he was the best ever. Bo Jackson was the best ever. The man was unbelievable. It is a shame he didn't come around 10 years later, so that his injury would not have been career ending.

Thanks Hugh ... nothing like a big slap on the noggin to wake you back up.

I haven't gone through all the old posts.  So if this is old hat for some of you, please ignore my ignorance if you will.

842633[/snapback]

See, that's the problem with you people. If you're new here or inactive for a while, the least you could do is go back and read the last 6 months worth of threads before posting. That way you'll be in the loop. :D

:D

I'm a Cowboy fan and voted for Payton.  That being said, I don't think he was the best ever.  Bo Jackson was the best ever.  The man was unbelievable.  It is a shame he didn't come around 10 years later, so that his injury would not have been career ending.

842681[/snapback]

Agreed in voting for Payton. All things being considered.... all hold their own merits - Bo included - but Payton was just incredible.

Imagine if Barry Sanders had an offensive line. He would have been the best ever. He earner every yard he got. He made plays behind the line, instead of in front of the line. Broke more ankles than anybody on that list.

Get a video of all 4 and I bet Barry's would be, hands down, the best one.

Imagine if Barry Sanders had an offensive line. He would have been the best ever. He earner every yard he got. He made plays behind the line,  instead of in front of the line. Broke more ankles than anybody on that list.

Get a video of all 4 and I bet Barry's would be, hands down, the best one.

843046[/snapback]

Very good info here.

This can never be truly answered. With the different eras they played in and the different offensive philosophies used by the teams it makes for an inaccurate picture no matter how it’s done.

With that said the way DMD went about it in his article is about the best and most accurate way it can be attempted.

This can never be truly answered. With the different eras they played in and the different offensive philosophies used by the teams it makes for an inaccurate picture no matter how it’s done.

With that said the way DMD went about it in his article is about the best and most accurate way it can be attempted.

843417[/snapback]

You could also take into account the fact that Smith played with multiple Pro-Bowl OL throughout much of his time in Dallas ... in fact, a few years there were 4 OL from Dallas on the Pro-Bowl roster. Sanders did have a couple of OL that went their two, but not a Pro-Bowl QB.

If you go by stats alone, you have to take into account that Payton and Smith played longer. If Brown and Sanders would have even played as long as Payton then I don't think Emmitt would have his records. Brown has the best ratio on yards per carry and yards per reception but it's my impression that the NFL wasn't as tough back then ... I could be wrong ... he ran a lot before I was born ... maybe it's just that black and white film doesn't show the red blood ???

Anyway, even DMD admitted in his article that the most exciting running back to watch ever was Sanders and had he stuck around a few more years ... Emmitt would probably be trying to squeak out a few more years to catch him.

They are all great RB's and they each helped their teams tremendously.

Barry Sanders career playoff rushing stats

vs Dallas 69

vs Washington 44

vs Green Bay 169

vs Green Bay -1

vs Philadelphia 40

vs Tampa Bay 65

Barry Sanders career playoff rushing stats

vs Dallas  69

vs Washington  44

vs Green Bay  169

vs Green Bay  -1

vs Philadelphia  40

vs Tampa Bay  65

843431[/snapback]

You must admit though ... without him the Lions would not have had any opportunity to have playoff stats during those years. They were not a playoff team.