[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How Bad Will GB Be?

Guest Sores

Guest Sores
COMMENTARY: It's tough to be optimistic

Has any team done less during the past two offseasons to improve itself than Green Bay? Don’t exhaust yourself thinking; the answer is no. That’s why the Packers took a step backwards in 2004 and figure to do the same in 2005. The greatest fans in the world don’t want to hear this, but it’s true. I spent the past week at mini-camp and came away more pessimistic than I ever thought possible. The lack of talent at some positions is glaring. Take the defensive line and the secondary (and I mean that literally). Jim Bates spent months raving about all the young defensive linemen, but I saw absolutely nothing to get excited about. There’s still only one legitimate pass rusher on the roster. There’s still only one legitimate nose tackle on the roster. And as for all those heralded young guys, they were either hurt (Donnell Washington, James Lee and Corey Williams) or ineffective (Kenny Peterson). Who says time doesn’t stand still? The secondary looks even worse. Ahmad Carroll was awful, and only by comparison made Joey Thomas look decent. In fact, the best young corner on the field was Patrick Dendy, and he was out of football until the Packers signed him in April. The safeties weren’t any better. Add in the absences of Javon Walker, Bubba Franks and Cletidus Hunt (OK, that might actually be a positive), and you’ve got a team that seems ready to tumble. The truth is, if Mike Sherman can take this group to the playoffs, he deserves an extension and an apology from every person who made fun of his Rip Van Winkle act at the combine.

Ted Thompson has used his first offseason as GM to begin fixing the cap situation, and I give him credit for that. But he’s done very little to give this team a chance to win in 2005. I agreed with the decisions to let Mike Wahle, Marco Rivera and Darren Sharper walk, but my problem is with how he’s gone about replacing them. Adrian Klemm and Matt O’Dwyer might be OK, but they‘re major question marks. The former hasn’t been healthy in five years and the latter is 32 years old and coming off a pair of injury-plagued seasons. Why didn’t Thompson make an offer to Rick DeMulling? He would’ve cost a few more bucks, but he’s a proven player. Here’s the thing about the NFL - you very often get less than expected from free agents, but you very seldom get a whole lot more. Most of the time, being cheap gets you the Hannibal Navies and Mark Romans of the world. So while Thompson will never admit it publicly, it seems pretty obvious that he cares a lot more about the future than he does the present. And that’s a reality that most fans don’t want to see - or at least admit to.

None of this is to suggest that the Packers will finish 4-12 in 2005. There’s still enough talent on offense to stay competitive and the defense can't be any worse (can it?). But that’s not enough to seriously challenge in what figures to be a much stronger conference. Green Bay was nothing more than an above-average team a year ago that needed four last-second field goals to win 10 games. And that was with excellent health AND Rivera, Wahle and Sharper. Getting to 10 victories again would seem highly unlikely. To me, this looks like an 8 or 9 win team - at best. Could they be better than a year ago? Only if a bunch of players really take their games to another level, and I just don’t see enough guys capable of doing that. Reggie McKenzie was quoted two weeks ago as saying that he really liked his roster. Hey, he knows a lot more than I do. Then again, I wrote a column exactly one year ago that criticized Sherman’s inactive offseason and predicted a 10-6 record and a first-round playoff loss. And to be perfectly honest, I felt a lot better about that team than I do this one.

Green's value drops (like many of his handoffs when he gets a sweat going). Favre will be running for his life, and on old legs...he's going to take a beating if the line is weak. Paging Aaron Rodgers, Aaron Rodgers...you have an emergency call on the white phone... :D

Not to mention the fact that each team in the division got a lot better while the Packers got a little worse. This is what scares me the most. I knew the Pack couldn't keep their entire OL intact, and couldn't fix all the holes on defense, but when you see how much the Lions, Bears, and Vikings improved it makes you seriously think the Pack could finish in last place.

I don't see them finishing in last, but I also don't see them winning the division. I believe they sneak in the playoffs as a wild card.

The Vikes and the Lions improved themselves the most.

You've got to love how the Vikings really made an effort to bring some team balance there...they should be a fun team to watch, with the exception of 2 games a year.

The Lions also have a very solid D coordinator who will put in gameplans to make them even better this year. Add a great ST's and an offense with a ton of potential, they should be right on the Vikings tail.

Green Bay has an offensive line factory up there, for whatever reason, I'm not going to believe they're done until I see it for myself. All these words on paper don't mean a thing...their major weakness is Sherman, not the players IMO.

The Bears are still 2 years away, an untested full year QB...WR's are still young and untested, and their OL, no matter how much it was upgraded this year, had to be one of the worst lines in the history of the game in 04'.

As far as relation to this thread, I won't believe Green Bay will drop as much as everyone says. There's something about that organization that I have a lot of respect for, and even I won't kick them when they're down (if they do fall down this year).

You've got to love how the Vikings really made an effort to bring some team balance there...they should be a fun team to watch, with the exception of 2 games a year.

The Lions also have a very solid D coordinator who will put in gameplans to make them even better this year. Add a great ST's and an offense with a ton of potential, they should be right on the Vikings tail.

Green Bay has an offensive line factory up there, for whatever reason, I'm not going to believe they're done until I see it for myself. All these words on paper don't mean a thing...their major weakness is Sherman, not the players IMO.

The Bears are still 2 years away, an untested full year QB...WR's are still young and untested, and their OL, no matter how much it was upgraded this year, had to be one of the worst lines in the history of the game in 04'.

As far as relation to this thread, I won't believe Green Bay will drop as much as everyone says. There's something about that organization that I have a lot of respect for, and even I won't kick them when they're down (if they do fall down this year).

859296[/snapback]

Add me to the "believe it when I see it" crowd.

859296[/snapback]

You got your first point right, Sherman is THE weakness and why he should have been removed from his GM duties when he signed KGB and Hunt (you know how long it takes Hunts ketchup to come out of the bottle, that is about how long it takes Hunt to get off the ball once it is snapped).

I believe you are right and still envision a playoff spot just don't see them winning the division even though I hope I am wrong.

Besides we still play the Bears twice. :D:D

Edited by Men In Tights

I have learned from past mistakes. The Vikings will always lose at least one game to the Packers. So if it comes down to a tie guess what folks. The Packers have a unique way of holding on. Favre's fantasy value will be at the bottom. When he gets pressured to make plays on his own he is apt to make mistakes. Interceptions, fumbles are common when he is trying to make magic.

What a wonderful year it will be to listen to packer fans...

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

859360[/snapback]

It could sound very similar to you Viking fans so you should be used to it. The only thing we won't be able to say is when are we going to finally win our first Super Bowl? :D

That sure is a shame that the favored Packers fortunes are pointed down, and their legendary QB is a season (if not a good hit) away from retirement. Bring back Forrest Gregg!

I ain't even touching this one. I have waited for years for the Pack to fall off and they don't have it in them. These kinds of reports come out about them this time every year. I'll throw some money out there that they find whatever kind of chemistry it is that keeps them going, and they return to the playoffs this year.

PS---Ahman Green is too darn good to have two off years in a row.

It could sound very similar to you Viking fans so you should be used to it.  The only thing we won't be able to say is when are we going to finally win our first Super Bowl?  :D

859473[/snapback]

You could ask yourself when will the Packers ever beat the Vikings in the playoffs if you are sick of the "at least we won a SB bit"

If GB really will be that bad, what does it do for Favre, FF-wise? If he has to air it out every week, it might be a good thing. I think on the other hand, Green may be really dissappointing.

859141[/snapback]

When a situation like this pops up, re: pathetic D, I often read where many fantasy football aficionados will say that a team with a weak D, will want to run, run and then run the ball some more. The logic is of course, to stop the other teams offense from getting their hands on the ball, thus limiting the exposure of their suspect D.

Perfectly good logic, making perfectly good sense. However, every year that I've seen a team with a less than stellar D, more often than not, the stats at the end of the year invariably show more of a lean to the pass. Sometimes a dramatic lean to the pass.

It seems that even though the Coaches would prefer a clock control run game, the D is so bad, they inevitably end up abandoning the run game, to play catch up with their passing game.

I tend to agree with you Rovers, even though Green is a very, very good back, the Packers Offense on the whole, will probably have to rely heavily on the pass with Favre, Walker, Driver & Ferguson, more so than the run game with Green & Davenport.

I'd upgrade Favre & the Pack WR's a notch, while downgrading the Pack RB's.

859296[/snapback]

Perfectly said. Favre will find a way to get it done. They've been bad on paper for the last several years but are always in the hunt come playoff time. They'll be in contention this year. I'm not buying into all the hype surrounding the Vikes and Lions either. They may have all the right players/personel but even so, it still takes a few years to gel and understand systems....

I'm very eager to see how Culpepper fairs without Moss. I realize he missed him for several games last year, but it will be much different this year without him on the sidelines. I'm one who believes that C-Pep is a very good QB, Moss or not but it's gonna be interesting.

The Lions are just perenially bad no matter who's in the lineup. I'll believe the hype on them when I see it. Tying for 2nd, or 1st for that matter, in the NFC north, does not mean you're a good team IMO.

Edited by Brentastic

:yay:  :yay:  I can not wait!!!  They are going to suck so bad!!  And I'm going to love every minute of it  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

859120[/snapback]

You're a very sick man. :D

I see a 7-9 or at best 8-8 finish for the Pack. Brett pushes too much when the team struggles and actually makes things worse.

Forget about the wild card, that team's coming out of the NFC South this year.

Whoever wins the NFC North, it's a first round playoff exit. :D