[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Your Home - Your Teams - Your Expectations

Chief Dick

Had my hose in my hand this evening, watering the grass, and started pondering the state of Kansas City sports. So I start thinking, what do I really expect from my local teams? Here are my personal expectations:

1. Royals. I have been lucky enough to have literally grown up with the Royals. They came to town in '69, the year I was born. So by the time they hit their heyday in the mid-70's, I was in my formative years: the years that define my sports allegiances. The Royals were awesome from 76-85, culminating in their only World Series championship. I was a teenager then, so I remember the feelings of those years. So for me, I've seen them win a championship in my lifetime. For me, that's almost enough. All I ask now is they can make the playoffs at some point, and make some noise there, so my children can feel what I felt years ago.
  2. Chiefs. This team really stunk at the same time the Royals were great, but picked up in 86-87 when the Royals started to drop off. They won a Super Bowl in my lifetime, but I was too young to remember. The NFL offers better opportunities for teams to win championships. For the Chiefs, I expect to see a Super Bowl winner before I die. And that's all I really need. Just one. In the meantime, I'm satisfied they have been into the playoffs and have had some success. And I'm confident my children will be able to feel the excitement.
  3. Sporting KC. This is the new kid on the block, and one I never expected to see in my lifetime. Professional soccer succeeding in my hometown. I've played soccer since I was 5, and always endured the ridicule of the football and baseball players. But that game is my true passion, and those who have played understand. Now, Sporting KC is the most electric sporting experience in town, with the new stadium, incredible ownership, a winning team, and a enormous grass roots effort of the soccer community here that lives and breathes with this team. My expectations with this team is multiple championships, and an establishment of a long time anchor of the national soccer community. My kids have been to the stadium and love it, so I know they are starting to understand what they mean to our city.

Overall, I want my kids to experience with me the joys and pains of sports. We've had enough pain around here lately, but if they can have some good memories of watching games with me, then that's all I really need.

Had my hose in my hand this evening

Pocs?

1. Yankees - I, like all NY fans, expect the Yankees to go deep into the playoffs every year from now until the end of time. They've been doing this for the last 10 years, inexplicably to me, by bringing in washed up players at the ends of their careers (Kerry Wood, Freddy Garcia, Ichiro, Andrew Jones, Eric Chavez. . .the list goes on and on. . .and note that I'm not including Raul Ibanez after this past week's happenings). I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a few years of playoff appearances to see the Yankees build a core group out of their farm system like the dynasty of the 1990's that had Brosius, Bernie Williams, Jeter, Rivera, Posada, etc.

2. Giants - Much like the Yankees, the season is a failure without a deep playoff run. And while it's nice to see the offense clicking ever since Eli's vacuous smirk has come to town, true Giants fans want one thing above all others: A beastly defense.

3. Knicks - Playing in one of the most famous (and outdated) arenas in all of sports, and yet they've been running 2nd fiddle to the Heat, the Celtics, and even for a few years to the Jason Kidd/Kenyon Martin/Keith van Horn Nets. Even in their current incarnation with Amare and Carmello, Knicks fans know deep down that as long as Lebron and Kobe are alive and kicking, there is pretty much zero hope for a championship. They also have one of the most hated owners in sports, and feel like the team's success will be held hostage as long as Dolan is around. Their biggest fear is that he'll find a way to reinstate Isiah Thomas in some capacity, which would be another sign of the Mayan Apocalypse.

4. Jets - This season is a serious wake up call that those 2 AFC championship games were a bit of smoke and mirrors and they need numerous fixes at numerous positions. The next decade looks to be a long and painful one where the only thing worth watching is Rex's pressers after yet another crushing defeat.

5. Nets - I think there's a lot of optimism here. Yes, they've pieced together a team of fairly talented players, and should put up a respectable first season in Brooklyn (I think they're a favorite to make the playoffs this year), but win or lose the borough of Brooklyn is a big winner having a pro team for the first time in over 50 years.

I have no opinion on hockey. . .I don't watch it at all.

Soccer....ugh. That sport is going to kill our pipelines into all other sports. MLB will be 90% foreign players by 2020.

1. Bears - won a Super Bowl, been to another in my adult life. I expect another few trips minimally.

2. White Sox - won a Championship - total joy ride. That's enough for me. The rest is gravy.

3. Hawks - Hoisted the Cup - better than the rush for the Pale Hose. Expect to see it again, but if they don't, I'm good.

4. Bulls - Lucky enough to be a fan of Jordan to see what he did, but this sport is not something I can get behind any longer.

Vikes - Can't believe they're 4-1. Still think it's smoke and mirrors. Being a lifelong Vikings fan and dealing with all the disappointments has me believing they will finish 4-12. :bash:

Penguins - :kicksrock:

Basketball, baseball and soccer are for homos.

How many GMs would still have their jobs if for 16 years they only made the playoffs once? Time for Jerry to fire Jerry!

I kinda thought this was gonna be about a more local level, like high school sports. I fully expect our high school football team to do well in the state playoffs every year ...

Pirates: Obviously, it has been extremely painful over the last 20 years. I was five years old when the Pirates won it all in 1979. I have vague memories of it, and my Mom & Dad's constant celebrations that year (The Steelers won it too), but, don't remember too much. The Pirates of the early 1990's provided a lot of excitement, as they had a great team led by Drabek, Bonds, Bonilla & Van Slyke, but, all I got was pain in the playoffs, especially Francisco Cabrera's game 7 winning hit that brought in former Pirate Sid Bream. That is still my most painful sports memory.

Steelers: It has been fun being a Steeler fan during my lifetime. I was alive for all the Super Bowls, but, the first four don't bring back many live memories. I've certainly watched plenty of them through NFL films. The only rough period of my Steeler fan life was during the Mark Malone & Bubby Brister years of the 80's. Since the 90's, the Steelers have been solid considers more often than not. They have made it to 4 Super Bowls since 1995, winning 2 of them, and have brought me a lot of great memories.

Penguins: When they won back to back in 1990 & 1991, I wasn't really a big hockey fan. The Penguins were my favorite team, and I followed them slightly, but, just wasn't enough of a hockey fan to truly enjoy those cups. Over the last 10 years, I've really become a big hockey fan, and the Penguins have been fun to be a fan of. As crazy as I would have once thought this to be, I got more excitement out of the Pens winning the cup in 2009 than I did the Steelers winning the Super Bowl in dramatic fashion during the same year. That game seven win in Detroit is my 2nd greatest sports fan moment. (My first was the Steelers Super Bowl win against the Seahawks. As ugly and controversial of a game as it was, it was months after my Dad died, so, it will always be extremely special to me)

Browns - :bag:

Indians - :bag:

Cavs - :bag:

But seriously, all 3 teams have provided some years of exciting play, with deep runs in the playoffs but ultimately no championships.

I moved to the area from LA in early 80s as a teenager, and had experienced some great winning years as a fan of the Dodgers and Lakers as a kid. I was still a Dodger fan until I started focusing on the Indians in the mid 90s.

I expect the Cleveland teams to keep giving me pain, but I hope one day before I die that the Browns can win a title, preferrably by knocking out some of our hated rivals (Steelers, Ravens, Broncos) along the way. Of course I'll probably be an old drooling vegetable in a nursing home when it happens :rofl:

Browns - :bag:

Indians - :bag:

Cavs - :bag:

But seriously, all 3 teams have provided some years of exciting play, with deep runs in the playoffs but ultimately no championships.

I moved to the area from LA in early 80s as a teenager, and had experienced some great winning years as a fan of the Dodgers and Lakers as a kid. I was still a Dodger fan until I started focusing on the Indians in the mid 90s.

I expect the Cleveland teams to keep giving me pain, but I hope one day before I die that the Browns can win a title, preferrably by knocking out some of our hated rivals (Steelers, Ravens, Broncos) along the way. Of course I'll probably be an old drooling vegetable in a nursing home when it happens :rofl:

I think most would root for the Browns over the rest of that division to win a Super Bowl after what Modell did to that team and city. I'd like to see them win once for the fans of Cleveland.

Major League was a great movie, but that's as close as you'll get. :D

I think most would root for the Browns over the rest of that division to win a Super Bowl after what Modell did to that team and city. I'd like to see them win once for the fans of Cleveland.

Well actually the Indians came very close, losing a WS game 6 on the road to the Marlins with a lead in the ninth (Jose Mesa blew it). The Cavs have had more recent success as well. But no doubt in this area, the Browns are king and them winning a SB would be huge.

I almost threw up watching the AFC title game a few years ago with BAL-PIT, was wishing for a natural disaster that would wipe out both teams. :)

Have to echo most of Steve's sentiments. Except I didn't move here in the mid 80s as a teenager. I was born to watch all this sadness.

I mean, did anyone watch the NFL Films special "Cleveland 95"? EVERYONE was still sure that the Browns were not moving and it was all going to go away. Well, they did.

I was at the game at the Jake when the Tribe clinched the AL central for the first time. That was pretty cool and fantastic.

But it is countered...

I was at "The Shot"

I was also at the Double OT Playoff victory against the Jets.

The sad reality is that the Browns haven't been relevant in a quarter century.

I still hold on to the dream that I will see a Championship in one of the Big 3 sports before I die.

Edited by loaf

Filmed at Milwaukee County Stadium, home to ANOTHER hopeless, sad-sack franchise.

Speaking of whom.....

PACKERS - we're pretty spoiled up here right now, I freely admit. Though some rend garments and gnash teeth at every loss, I generally figure that an expectation of "double-digit wins, contend for the division title, win at least one playoff game" is fairly reasonable given how the last 20 yrs have gone, not to mention the historical success of the franchise.

BREWERS - the yang to the Packers' yin. I abhorred baseball growing up (I recall during the '95 strike my buddy and I were ecstatic, because it meant we didn't have to watch the highlights on Sportscenter) but when I moved to Milwaukee in '98 I got tickets and warmed to the Brewers - which was odd, because they were right smack in the middle of a 15 yr(-ish) run of being consistently awful. But hey, cheap tickets, plenty of parking, hangin' with my buds - what's not to like? Anyway, they've turned it around a bit - while the Brewers aren't, and never will be, a flagship MLB franchise, they're at least interesting and successful over the past 5 yrs.

BUCKS - Basketball? :sick:

BOSTON BRUINS (okay, not a "home" team, but since the nearest NHL team is in Chicago, and if there's one thing Wisconsinites hate, it's Illinois, I consider myself a hockey "free agent" able to choose whichever team tickles my fancy...that said, I've been a B's fan ranging from casual to ardent for about 20 yrs now) - beat the Habs as often as possible, find a good goalie, win the damn Cup.

BREWERS - the yang to the Packers' yin. I abhorred baseball growing up (I recall during the '95 strike my buddy and I were ecstatic, because it meant we didn't have to watch the highlights on Sportscenter) but when I moved to Milwaukee in '98 I got tickets and warmed to the Brewers - which was odd, because they were right smack in the middle of a 15 yr(-ish) run of being consistently awful. But hey, cheap tickets, plenty of parking, hangin' with my buds - what's not to like? Anyway, they've turned it around a bit - while the Brewers aren't, and never will be, a flagship MLB franchise, they're at least interesting and successful over the past 5 yrs.

CHARGERS: I expect an 8-8 season followed by Norv and A.J. getting fired (finally). After that it'll be 2-3 years to put in a new system and draft some more players to hopefully return to the playoffs.

PADRES: I expect a real shot at the playoffs next year. The new ownership seems willing to spend some money for quality free agents, and the farm system is solid.

49ers- been a fan since the 70's. have ridden the ups and downs. very excited about their immediate future. believe that they are a superbowl contender here and now. young team with a good young coach.... i expect depth in playoffs for several years to come.

Giants- again, been a fan sicne the 70's and followed some absolutely crappy teams (even with fantastic players). the bonds era was an amazing experience. i had season tickets and hit about 35 games a year. seemed like the organization threw in the towel for a little bit, but loved the rebuild around young pitchers. i of coarse grumbled about their lack of bats, yet they surprised me in 2010 with that dominating pitching staff. as this year shows, the loss of buster in 11 was tremendous. this year, the fa have really paid off (melky-regardless of ped, pagan, scuttaro, and pence). the front office seems to know what they are doing. i think they take the cards. with this team, i am unsure about the future. i think they can compete any year, but i wouldn't say they are a lock for post season for the next decade. the extra wc may help with that though.

Sharks- seems as if they may have missed some great opportunities a few years back, where i thought they were very strong. appear to be on the decline, but i foresee playoff hockey for them

Warriors- used to love the NBA, but they lost me a while ago. i follow box scores, but don't love what the warriors have done recently. them moving to SF may change my opinion as i might hit some games with them being more accessible.

Living in Bremerton, WA where we have no teams.

However, I do have teams.

Redskins - Best of times, worst of times. (To steal a book opening.) Been a fan since the 50's. Will always be a fan no matter who the owner is.

Brooklyn Dodgers - Was a fan in the 50's. Followed them to LA but haven't been a fan since the strike in the 80's.

Seattle Mariners - Became a fan after moving here. They have been cold for awhile. Probably going to continue for awhile. Fun to watch though.

Seattle Sounders - Love me some of the Beautiful Game and the Sounders play a great game.

Was a fan of the Celtics way, way back when. Haven't given basketball a thought for years. Then Seattle lost the Sonics so chances of that changing are down the drain.

49ers- passed down from my stepfather in the mid 70's. had a rough few years before they made the Super bowl. Those 2 victory seasons made it tough to wear your shirts to school in Ram territory. Harbaugh seems like a really good coach. They are going to be contenders under him.

Chargers- bought season tickets but nowhere near as passionate about them as the 49ers. If they go 8-8 this year it'll be a surprise. Norv and AJ really need to go and then maybe they'll do something.

Lakers- haven't followed since mid 90's really. still watch occassionally but don't really follow much.

Really like the way Nash plays so might tune in more often this year.

Angels- the team I'm most passionate about. I kinda miss the days when most of the players came up through the farm system. But that's baseball nowadays. Lots of turnover. That 2002 world series team was fantastic. Most of the players came up through the system and had been with the team for a few years before they caught lightening in a bottle. Don't know if they'll win another world series in my lifetime but I anticipate them being good and in contention just about every year.

Growing up in St. Louis my allegiances are:

1a) St. Louis Cardinals Baseball: Cardinals baseball is just a tradition in my family (like it is with wo many other families in the St. Louis area). I still have the scorecard from the first game my parents ever took me to (when I was less than one). When I was 12, my dad took my brother and me to spend the night outside of the old Busch Stadium for Game 7 World Series tickets. My uncles have had season tickets for decades (and they used to have front row seats down the third base line before they changed those seats to "club seating" and jacked the price way up). Whenever we have a family gathering, the baseball game is on the tv (I still vividly remember being at a family bbq the day Ryne Sandberg hit two homeruns off Bruce Sutter to win the game--the family drank extra that evening). This past fall, we had a somewhat formal party for my grandma's 90th birthday. As fate would have it, it occured during Game 3 of the World Series. We had four generations of people bitching about Kyle Lohse and then cheering Pujols' three homeruns. Even though I now live in Michigan, I still follow the Cardinals very closely and watch almost every game. My two older boys (ages 6 and 5) are already big Cardinals fans and my 2 year-old is a fan of Fred Bird. My kids went to bed last night when the Cardinals were losing 6-0... this morning I showed them a replay of the 9th inning (telling them that they would get to see "what might be the last time the Cardinals played baseball this year")... when they saw the hit to tie the game, their eyes got HUGH. It was fun.

1b) The St. Louis Blues: This is the yin to my Cardinals yang. From the 80s into the 2000s, they made the playoffs something like 26 times in a row, but only advanced to the conference championship series one time and have never made it to the finals. They find new ways to alternate from being terrible to choking when they should be good. My pain has increased since moving to Michigan and having to be around insufferable Redwings fans.

3) The St. Louis Rams: Losing the Big Red to Arizona when I was in my teens sucked (although perhaps not as much as the Cardinals themselves sucked). Getting the Rams was great, even though they were terrible. And the run the went on early last decade was something that I was very very lucky to get to experience. The whole Kurt Warner "rags to riches" story is legendary. I still root for the Rams, but the not unrealistic expectation that they will leave St. Louis makes me hold back on my full devotion.

My kids went to bed last night when the Cardinals were losing 6-0... this morning I showed them a replay of the 9th inning (telling them that they would get to see "what might be the last time the Cardinals played baseball this year")... when they saw the hit to tie the game, their eyes got HUGH. It was fun.

Great story. :tup:

Growing up in St. Louis my allegiances are:

1a) St. Louis Cardinals Baseball: Cardinals baseball is just a tradition in my family (like it is with wo many other families in the St. Louis area). I still have the scorecard from the first game my parents ever took me to (when I was less than one). When I was 12, my dad took my brother and me to spend the night outside of the old Busch Stadium for Game 7 World Series tickets. My uncles have had season tickets for decades (and they used to have front row seats down the third base line before they changed those seats to "club seating" and jacked the price way up). Whenever we have a family gathering, the baseball game is on the tv (I still vividly remember being at a family bbq the day Ryne Sandberg hit two homeruns off Bruce Sutter to win the game--the family drank extra that evening). This past fall, we had a somewhat formal party for my grandma's 90th birthday. As fate would have it, it occured during Game 3 of the World Series. We had four generations of people bitching about Kyle Lohse and then cheering Pujols' three homeruns. Even though I now live in Michigan, I still follow the Cardinals very closely and watch almost every game. My two older boys (ages 6 and 5) are already big Cardinals fans and my 2 year-old is a fan of Fred Bird. My kids went to bed last night when the Cardinals were losing 6-0... this morning I showed them a replay of the 9th inning (telling them that they would get to see "what might be the last time the Cardinals played baseball this year")... when they saw the hit to tie the game, their eyes got HUGH. It was fun.

1b) The St. Louis Blues: This is the yin to my Cardinals yang. From the 80s into the 2000s, they made the playoffs something like 26 times in a row, but only advanced to the conference championship series one time and have never made it to the finals. They find new ways to alternate from being terrible to choking when they should be good. My pain has increased since moving to Michigan and having to be around insufferable Redwings fans.

3) The St. Louis Rams: Losing the Big Red to Arizona when I was in my teens sucked (although perhaps not as much as the Cardinals themselves sucked). Getting the Rams was great, even though they were terrible. And the run the went on early last decade was something that I was very very lucky to get to experience. The whole Kurt Warner "rags to riches" story is legendary. I still root for the Rams, but the not unrealistic expectation that they will leave St. Louis makes me hold back on my full devotion.

They made it their first two years in existence: lost to the Canadiens in four straight and then to the Bobby Orr Bruins the next year in four straight. I've been hooked ever since.

They made it their first two years in existence: lost to the Canadiens in four straight and then to the Bobby Orr Bruins the next year in four straight. I've been hooked ever since.

I wrote that wrong--I meant that in that (record for big-four sports) streak of reaching the playoffs, they never made it to the finals.

As for them making the finals in their first two seasons, I wasn't alive for it but the image of Bobby Orr flying across the goal crease is still burned in my mind. (I'll note that there is something a little bit tarnished about those finals appearances since I'm pretty sure the NHL set it up so that one of the expansion teams HAD to make it to the finals.)

I wrote that wrong--I meant that in that (record for big-four sports) streak of reaching the playoffs, they never made it to the finals.

As for them making the finals in their first two seasons, I wasn't alive for it but the image of Bobby Orr flying across the goal crease is still burned in my mind. (I'll note that there is something a little bit tarnished about those finals appearances since I'm pretty sure the NHL set it up so that one of the expansion teams HAD to make it to the finals.)

You're correct about the NHL expanding (in '67 I think). They put all six expansion teams in the West and kept the original six teams in the East. But we didn't care then! Hockey came to life in St. Louis and EVERYBODY started following the Blues!

But I am like you as far as My Teams goes: Baseball Cardinals, Blues, Rams (even though the football Cardinals will always be my first NFL love).